ScummVM-PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

joostp

Post by joostp »

Sushimoto wrote:Following the instructions on the read me file, when I start Scumm VM I get the error:

"The game could not be started (80020001)"
I have a North american PSP v1.50.

Here's what I did to install it.
- I D/L the new Beta2
-copied the EBOOT.PBP file to \PSP\GAME\SCUMMVM\
-Copied the game files in \PSP\GAME\SCUMMVM\GAMEs
I get the SCUMMVM in the mem card display, but I get the error once I run it.

Help please!
This EBOOT.PBP is for v1.00 firmware, you need to extract/convert it before you can use it with v1.50, don't ask me how, I've never done it. But I bet you can find the info you need by searching the forum.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

You can use the Kxploit. A search on Yahoo should turn it up.

Also, can the games be zipped up? I don't have a large enough memory stick to put The Dig on there :(
joostp

Post by joostp »

F9zDark wrote:You can use the Kxploit. A search on Yahoo should turn it up.

Also, can the games be zipped up? I don't have a large enough memory stick to put The Dig on there :(
Nope, although there are tools to compress the speech, music and videos of The Dig.
They should be included in the ScummVM win32 daily snapshot ( http://www.scummvm.org/downloads/scummvmwin32.exe ), or you can get the source for them from the 'tools' module in CVS.
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

I just BSOD'd in Full Throttle on a 1.50 US PSP. Image of the dump I got: http://www.imgsatellite.com/u/05/198/03/PSPBSOD.jpg I tried this with both a compressed MONSTER.SO3 and the original MONSTER.SOU files, and it seems to be a problem with the sound since the hex adresses change in some instances with different versions of the sound file. I sadly don't have pics of the dumps for the others, so you'll just have to believe me until I can recreate the error later when I've recharged the batteries in my cam. This dump is from a MONSTER.SO3 file encoded in 24kbps VBR with the "SCUMMVMQ+E Additional Tools".

This error ocurred at the beginning of the game when you set off the alarm on the fuel tower and hide in the shadows, right after the start of the cutscene just when the chopper pilots are beginning to talk. I can probably get a video dump of this BSOD happening if it's of any interest. Still need batteries in my cam, though...

I also compressed Curse of Monkey Island to fit on my memstick, and the game worked in a way, but the screen was divided in four rectangles, each showing the top left of the game screen. I can almost safely claim that this is due to the game being in 640x480 in stead of 320x240. Is it possible to do a resize filter for this game so I can play it on the PSP? The game also ran a bit slow, but not so slow as to be unplayable. I may be asking for a lot, but a speed fix for this if you get the resize working would also be nice.

Otherwise, keep up the very good work! You kept me up all night last night playing DOTT, and I've been up this night too fiddling with old adventure games.

It's great to be geek! Who else would be excited about ten to fifteen year old games running on newly released hardware?
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

Hmm... Again in Full Throttle there's a BSOD. When you start the game and press R directly when you see the LucasArts logo you BSOD. Could be that you're too fast for the game and/or the PSP to hang with you. This happens every time, but by waiting a second or two there is no BSOD.

Also BSOD'd once more ingame, but when I attempted to reproduce it didn't show, so I guess that's a one-time ocurrence.
Balrog Soft

Post by Balrog Soft »

Hi, very nice work, i was waiting this port for weeks!!!, i played to Day of the tentacle, i finished yesterday and is totallly completable, but some people graphics show white color as black when these are not talking, on Monkey island VGA seems to happend the same strange effect with guybrush, when it is walking it show a black color on a zone that must be white, the EGA version of monkey works fine, i tried Spanish version of all these adventures...
joostp

Post by joostp »

Baggins wrote:This error ocurred at the beginning of the game when you set off the alarm on the fuel tower and hide in the shadows, right after the start of the cutscene just when the chopper pilots are beginning to talk. I can probably get a video dump of this BSOD happening if it's of any interest. Still need batteries in my cam, though...
It could be running out of memory at this point. I'll take a look.
mc

Post by mc »

Polymira wrote:Marcus C.

Didn't you work on the original dreamcast port?
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "original", but I am the author of the Dreamcast port which is in the ScummVM CVS. There was independent
port at about the same time by a guy whose name escapes me at the moment, which did not have hardware scaling and never made it into the CVS.
Flying at a high speed
Having the courage
Getting over crisis
I rescue the people
MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar »

I've finished DoTT (with compressed monster sound), Monkey Island 2 (cd version) and Maniac Mansion (EGA) with Bernard & Razor now on beta 2.

I've gotten som problems with Monkey Island 1 CD version with mp3 music tracks though. Sometimes it fails to save/autosave the game (about every 10th time) and one needs to restart ScummVM for the saving/loading to work again, and the game hangs up when I'm at the last part (Guybrush kicks butt), it just displays the final part screen forever.

Loom CD seems to work, but I've not finished it yet.

Maniac Mansion NES doesn't work with any display mode I've tested, the mouse input is wrong. And when I try to select another language then english in the menu options ScummVM gets a BSoD.
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

Been fooling around a bit more to see if I can trick the system into not showing a BSOD in the Full Throttle scenario I described above, but so far no luck. I've uploaded the save file to http://www.highgame.net/uploads/ft.s00 so if anyone wants to help out, see if you get a BSOD after loading that save. All you have to do is to touch the ladder and go hide in the shadows.

I'm sure it would also help the devs if you post a pic of or write out the BSOD if it happens.
MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar »

Well, here's a save from Monkey Island 1 (CD version) that should hang up on the guybrush kicks butt screen. Just finish the talk with Bob & Herman, and then it should show.

http://haggar.emuunlim.com/monkey.zip

I'll test that ft save soon.
joostp

Post by joostp »

Baggins wrote:Been fooling around a bit more to see if I can trick the system into not showing a BSOD in the Full Throttle scenario I described above, but so far no luck. I've uploaded the save file to http://www.highgame.net/uploads/ft.s00 so if anyone wants to help out, see if you get a BSOD after loading that save. All you have to do is to touch the ladder and go hide in the shadows.

I'm sure it would also help the devs if you post a pic of or write out the BSOD if it happens.
Actually, no. Savegames and information on reproducing usually help the most.

I took a quick look at your savegame and it seems to be a general problem, not specific to the port. Let me try building latest ScummVM CVS with GCC4 for PC and see if the problem exists there too.
MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar »

Ok, got the same problem here with Full Throttle, but that savegame you provided didn't work here though, so I had to play the game up to that point. Got BSoD after they started talking. "Remain where...", then BSoD.

Tested with original uncompressed monster.sou and without videos (since I don't have enough space on my memory stick).
MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar »

Another Full Throttle savegame:

http://haggar.emuunlim.com/ft.zip

This one is right before the demolition derby.
About 30 sec into the derby you get a BSoD.

And there's random hangups during the old mine road if you spend too much time there too.
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

Same problem in the demolition derby for me too. BSOD after about 15-20 seconds.

Mike: I sent you a PM a while ago, you might wanna look at it.

EDIT: This BSOD does not happen in the July 18 build of OCVS on PC, so it seems to be a PSP-problem only. I moved my save over to the PC to du the demolition derby there, and moved it back to teh PSP after that. Works fine again now, will post back if any additional problems.
joostp

Post by joostp »

Baggins wrote:EDIT: This BSOD does not happen in the July 18 build of OCVS on PC, so it seems to be a PSP-problem only. I moved my save over to the PC to du the demolition derby there, and moved it back to teh PSP after that. Works fine again now, will post back if any additional problems.
Your original savegame crashes on PC as well, if I right-click to open the inventory.
I can't reproduce the crashes in the cutscenes on PC (I thought it might have been a gcc4 issue, we had one earlier which caused almost none of the SCUMM games to work), so we'll have to dig a bit deeper.
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

Since everyone else is posting bug reports, I might as well join in.. :)

not sure if this is a bug or merely an unimplemented feature, but:
on monkey island 2 (ahh, memories!) - whenever I put the psp into standby, then back out, it mentions something about not being able to save, then plays for about a second then bsods.
also home->'yes, i wanna quit' hangs at the please wait, whilst quitting via the menu works fine.

(i can post more details (if required) when i get home to my psp; ~8hrs after posting time)

all in all tho, great work - keep it up!
Damn, I need a decent signature!
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

cheriff: that "Home"-button bug is known and also in the readme.

I've now finished Full Throttle, and I only encountered the two bugs/BSODs I've already mentioned.

Now, if only COMI would display properly...
joostp

Post by joostp »

Baggins wrote:I've now finished Full Throttle, and I only encountered the two bugs/BSODs I've already mentioned.
Ok, good to hear.
Now, if only COMI would display properly...
It will in the next version.
MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar »

Baggins wrote:EDIT: This BSOD does not happen in the July 18 build of OCVS on PC, so it seems to be a PSP-problem only. I moved my save over to the PC to du the demolition derby there, and moved it back to teh PSP after that. Works fine again now, will post back if any additional problems.
I did that with the July 6th PC build here, and finished the game too. ;)

I've got some more resolution problems though, with the FM Towns versions of Loom, Indy3 and Zak, same as the Maniac NES problem. Seems to happen to all non-320x200 games. All the other FM Towns versions of Scumm games works fine though since they're 320x200.
Last edited by MikeHaggar on Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

joostp wrote:
Baggins wrote:Now, if only COMI would display properly...
Oooh... I know this is a bit off topic and that all developers hate this question, but do you have an ETA?

Also, remind me to buy you guys a beer if I'm ever in the same pub as you...
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

cheriff wrote:not sure if this is a bug or merely an unimplemented feature, but:
on monkey island 2 (ahh, memories!) - whenever I put the psp into standby, then back out, it mentions something about not being able to save, then plays for about a second then bsods.
This seems to be a common problem; many of the not-reproducable BSODs mentioned here are probably due to the game not recovering properly from standby. It's a common problem with some other homebrew as well.
strikeuk

Post by strikeuk »

Baggins wrote:
joostp wrote:
Baggins wrote:Now, if only COMI would display properly...
Oooh... I know this is a bit off topic and that all developers hate this question, but do you have an ETA?

Also, remind me to buy you guys a beer if I'm ever in the same pub as you...
If you know all developers hate this question why are you even asking?
MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar »

Finished Flight of the Amazon Queen CD now.

Getting a hangup in The Dig:
http://haggar.emuunlim.com/digsave.zip

Just as those other two people go off screen the game hangs. I used compressed sound and music files, maybe that's why it got screwy?
MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar »

Simon 1 & 2 seems to work fine, but one miss 'Enter' to save games and 'Y' to quit the game (and 'N' to not quit).
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

strikeuk has a point... I'll stop nagging and help in stead.

Fate of Atlantis just finished in "team"-mode without a single hitch.
Warren

Post by Warren »

I think this is more of a Software topic than general discussion.
Sushimoto

Post by Sushimoto »

I notice that people are playing Monkey 1, but when I load it, I get no sound. Other games work like:

Indy: FOA
Loom
Monkey 2
DOTT

Any Ideas? Also Sam and Max hangs up with a blue screen after the Lucasarts logo screen.

Thanks for the great work!
joostp

Post by joostp »

Sushimoto wrote:I notice that people are playing Monkey 1, but when I load it, I get no sound. Other games work like:

Indy: FOA
Loom
Monkey 2
DOTT

Any Ideas? Also Sam and Max hangs up with a blue screen after the Lucasarts logo screen.

Thanks for the great work!
Both your questions are answered in this thread: http://www.pspupdates.com/forum/showthr ... ge=1&pp=10
MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar »

Hmm... Just finished Beneath a Steel Sky CD version. Got one random BSoD, dunno why. Worked fine again on restart. It was a bit odd though, with the music continuing in the backgrond of the BSoD.