Questions about IRDA

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Hybrid Blue

Questions about IRDA

Post by Hybrid Blue »

Alright, well i know that the irda port works well with the SIRS (i assume this stands for SONY IR SYSTEM..or something similar) this basically works well for controlling other sony software that is IRda enabled, im wondering if the HARDWARE has the ability to control other IRDA enabled hardware (EX. Other non-sony tv's...etc...) If so, im going to rewrite some of the software of the orgional remote to make it work with other devices...this would be very nice to know, if anyone knows about this stuff please let me know.

THanks

-HB
apsd

Post by apsd »

I'm pretty sure the IrDA port is controlled entirely through software and that there is no extra controller packed with the IrDA port to deal naturally with other "IrDA enabled hardware".

TV companies have developed their own "codes" for TVs and what-not which can be dealt with in software. Other devices use a common protocol for general data exchange (many devices like Palm, most pocket pc's, probably cellphones use OBEX).

A remote is a great idea. A start is to make it compatible with the lirc database of remote control codes (http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/).

I think I'm going to take up the OpenOBEX project port then :-D
Hybrid Blue

Post by Hybrid Blue »

actually i was also thinking about the lirc thing, im going to be building a IR transever like the one off their site and ill have my linux built this week.... its been a LONG time sence ive dont much codeing but who knows..this should be good for me? hehe i think ill start by working something up like you said. Thanks for the info!

-HB