PSP Quake got me thinking

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

SinisterWhisper

PSP Quake got me thinking

Post by SinisterWhisper »

I absolutely love psp quake its slow and such but man it shows such promise. However I wanted to know what would the psp be capable of? Im assuming we could port heretic and hexen (maybe hexen 2 since it used the quake engine?) and when things were further along perhaps quake 2 since the source is available?

I am stuck though on what else could be ported the only other game i can think of would be half life but after that? Unreal would be great but we don't have the source if memory serves me correctly, same goes for duke nukem and most other games of the era.

Lastly the real point of my post and that is how hard is it to port a game to the psp? I ask because i have been learning c++ and given enough tutorials would be willing to try my hand at one of the easier ports out there if it is at all within my newbie grasp.
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

Porting of anything past quake's time will probably not happen because of Direct X use. DirectX is not available for PSP, and probably never will be. OpenGL which is Direct X's competeter is coming along alright, but there are still several things that need to be worked out.
Lego of my Ago!
Woogie

Post by Woogie »

Quake will start to show real promise when it starts using the PSP's functionality rather than just being a straight port. After all, the PSP has hardware FPU, hardward 3D, etc, all of which are done in software in the current Quake port.
SinisterWhisper

Post by SinisterWhisper »

mm forgot about direct x rearing its ugly head still unreal tourny is on linux so its opengl, and id's stuff is too, along with hl.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

The Duke3d source was released quite some time ago, same with Shadow Warrior and Rise of the Triad(think that is its name). Half Life could be run in OpenGL mode, so that might be able to make an appearance on the PSP, but then again, HL will probably never have its source released... There are still mods being made for it...
jpadams

Post by jpadams »

Descent
wwar1ace

Post by wwar1ace »

jpadams wrote:Descent
Descent would ROCK. I was thinking about the same thing last week... how you could squeeze all the needed controls in on the PSP.

This game would probably have me falling outta my seat. :P

-wwar1ace
Energy

Post by Energy »

I remember that someone planned to port Aliens vs Predator over to the dreamcast (eons ago)... so guessing that's open source. I thought it'd use directX but the person who wanted to port it was quiet big in the dreamcast scene, so must of known what they were doing. (admitedly it never saw the light of day)

*dreams*
Agoln

Post by Agoln »

Locked due to lack of development, and this thread has turned into a "wouldn't this be cool..." thread.
Lego of my Ago!