Nport and crossover cable > Indy exploit

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

buggzero

Nport and crossover cable > Indy exploit

Post by buggzero »

I've been reading the forum for some time and Ive come to a point where I can't find the information I need, so I am posting.

I understand I need to load files onto the memory card, but is this possible on an unmodded older system through the network adapter? I have a crossover cable but am unable to seem to get any sort of connection to the ps2.

It seems the software is Nport, but what I have downloaded does not seem to be able to work without loading clients on the ps2 side.

I have also heard rumor that there is a way to write script and burn with mcloader to get clients onto the memory card?

Forgive me if I am repeating old questions, I just keep collecting all these programs and have come to a dead end.
____________ ____ _ _ _ ____
"As you start down the stairway, then -- magic. You come up with the perfect thing you should've said. The perfect crippling put-down.

That's the Spirit of the Stairway."
+Chuck Palahniuk [ - Guts]
buggzero

Clarification

Post by buggzero »

So A little more researcch, 40 bucks later.... I went to walmart and get the gameshark, the only thing they had availible.

SO IN ORDER to use the network adapter, I need to use the swap trick to get a homebrew cd with a network adapter client, I.E. puklink or nport?

Then I can use the adapter to load the indy exploit to the memory card, then yadda yadda yaddda.

Is this correct? And which program will be a self loading cd with mcloader?

Also, the information that Ive been missing seems to be on http://www.0xd6.org , which is currently down, so hopefully this post is not redundant.
"As you start down the stairway, then -- magic. You come up with the perfect thing you should've said. The perfect crippling put-down.

Steve F

Post by Steve F »

Um, I used Sony Linux SDK to copy reload1.elf to my memory card and configure the RTE bootloader to execute reload1.elf. The reload1.elf I used has ps2link embedded in it. Once ps2link is running, I run x-link (or ps2client) on my PC to transfer and execute elf's on the ps2.

If you have GameShark, I don't think you need to do the swap disk thing. To use the indy exploit you use GameShark to copy a modified file (TITLE.DB) to the memory card. Then boot with a ps1 game that is listed (or you have configured; you match up the disk code of the game with a record in TITLE.DB that has been patched to buffer overrun and execute a program on the memory card instead of the ps1 game). You decide what program to run and what ps1 game triggers it when you build TITLE.DB.

To use the swap disk thing you need to build (or burn) an iso that is set up to run one of the xxxlink or menu programs. Boot the ps2 and swap disks. Once the iso program is running, and depending on which program it is, you can 1) execute your elf's, or 2) set up the memory card to use the indy exploit (?).

I wouldn't want to use the swap disk every time I booted or reset my ps2, so linux or indy is the way to go. Each one effectivly does the same thing. Boots off a disk that you leave in the tray and runs a xxxlink or menu elf. The xxxlink programs allow you to transfer elf to the ps2 and run them. The menu programs (I've read) allow you to do things with a ps2 harddrive (but not a linux harddrive). The xxxlink programs require a client on the PC side. I don't know if the menu programs require something like that or not as I've never used one.

I hope that helps a bit. You're not alone struggling to figure this out. It seems to be a trial by fire for everyone who wants to learn ps2 homebrew.
buggzero

Post by buggzero »

Yeah this clarifys things alot. I just need to get ahold of a flash drive and get the patched title.db to the MC. Im actually going to do that next.

One thing that has raised an eyebrow, two things actually:
  • 1. Gameshark has a way to use the adapter to get saves, gameshark updates, etc. Should there not be some way to emulate the GS server and send your own homebrew saves / files through this protocol?

2. There seems to be little support for the gameshark save format. Is this the same as sharkport format, or am I just missing the point of formatted saves here? Because once i get ahold of this flash drive, dont i need more than just the tittle.db? i have to zip it up or something, the GS has a built in unpacker I think I might take advantage of.

Steve F

Post by Steve F »

Sorry I can't help with GameShark specifics as I haven't a clue how it works or what it does. I remember that somebody set up all the different TITLE.DB variations prebuilt. Look for ps2xme. That's where I remember what little I know about it.
Lart

damn you Game Shark!

Post by Lart »

Long Story short: If it is the GameShark Gamecodes CD, return it. Too much effort for a crap product.

Now for the long story...

When I was trying to get set up for homebrew on my unmodded console, I bought the GameShark Gamecodes CD from WalMart. It was the only one they had. Unfortunately, I was completely unsuccessful in using this to install the exploit software to my memory card.
buggzero wrote:
  • 1. Gameshark has a way to use the adapter to get saves, gameshark updates, etc. Should there not be some way to emulate the GS server and send your own homebrew saves / files through this protocol?
Someone has done work to spoof the Action Replay server, but I have not found anything that for the Gameshark server.
buggzero wrote:
  • 2. There seems to be little support for the gameshark save format. Is this the same as sharkport format, or am I just missing the point of formatted saves here? Because once i get ahold of this flash drive, dont i need more than just the tittle.db? i have to zip it up or something, the GS has a built in unpacker I think I might take advantage of.
The GameShark Gamecodes CD will read from a USB pendrive but it will not write to it. It also would not let me touch "YourSystemConfiguration". Every format I tried (yay ps2savebuilder), including the ones downloaded from the GameShark server (xmb files I think) would not be recognized by the software.

If you want to go forward with the GameShark Gamecodes CD (if that is the one you had) then you would have to:
  • 1. extract one of its saves from the CD (not quite easily done)
    2. reverse engineer whatever format they are using for the crushed saves (a small pain)
    3. create your own exploit save (published directions are available)
    4. write software to package up the save in the format you had to discover (not bad)
    5. uncrush it to a formatted memory card (cd won't let you iverwrite an existing "save")
I took the easier route. I returned the GameShark product. WalMart would only exchange it for me until I complained that the product did not do everything it advertised it would and it would lock up on me half the time (both true). So I got store credit and bought Gran Turismo 4.

I got the Action Replay Max product from Best Buy and it worked flawlessly (backup the old config and delete it, it won't overwrite).
buggzero

Post by buggzero »

Lart, you sir are correct. You are a fucking genious. IF ONLY I could have read your post 5 hours ago. Becuase I want those hours of my wasted life back. God damn you gameshark, god damn you.

I tried the same mehtod of everysingle format I can think of.

Im off to return it and pick up code breakers. Walmart will not stand for this UNRULEY tyrannyITS UNJUST

Incidently enough, I work at best buy, but figured walmartfags are eaiser to push over because after i get the exploit loaded, im returning the codebreakers too, fuck It, I want to homebrew code a divx movie librarby on HD, screw the cheat code crap.

Walmart bitches. here I come.

rinco

Post by rinco »

I originally used an action replay with a swap technique to get title.db installed. I understand gameshark can do the same thing.

I read that a swap-tool can be homemade, and supercedes the "cog swap" technique. Alternatively you can wire a switch onto the drive-tray mechanism (bypassing the disc check) - works great for me.