Tanks game

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Souls85

Tanks game

Post by Souls85 »

First I should say I have absolutely no coding experience I am more of a graphics person.

I am willing to do all of the graphics work for the game.
here is a general idea of what it would look like. keep in mind it is just a concept things can be changed very easily.

Things that the game would need
Lan/Internet support for 8 players
Tile based mapping system.
Sound/music
Ai (not needed but would be cool)
2 player option with one psp
teambased play

People that the game still needs
Programmer
Sound Guru
post in the fourm or pm me if you would like to help

Just incase anyone wants to use any of the stuff Ive created to help continue the process I made a rar/zip file available for download it contains all of the graphics files and maps I have made plus an opening clip that I made last night cause I was bored.
http://www.darkunknown.net/tanks.rar
http://www.darkunknown.net/tanks.zip

Also if anyone needs any help with graphics for their program/game
I can help out just pm me.
Last edited by Souls85 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:33 am, edited 14 times in total.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

We usually frown on random software requests here, but you've actually provided some art in addition to the request... it seemed to work well for snake, so maybe this will go somewhere.

Looks a lot like combat on the atari 2600. Add some terrain and you'd be set.
Souls85

Post by Souls85 »

Here's what I was thinking for the map system a tile based with 8 or so different tiles each given a number in the program then to make a map you have a file with numbers that tell what tile goes where

ex.

would look like this

also with this system you could give each tile a way to rate speed so on the grass tiles the tank would move at 80% speed or water 20% and so on.

im not sure but you might be able to make it a larger then screen map and scroll around when you move. then use the analog to view other areas.

the tiles are 10x10

as far as spawning goes I was thinking that the program would randomly find spots for the tank to spawn where it could move and it would also give the tank 2 seconds of invulnerability or until it shoots so that other tanks cant spawn kill.

just incase anyone wants to use any of the stuff Ive created to help continue the process I made a rar file available for download
http://www.darkunknown.net/tanks.rar
Last edited by Souls85 on Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Souls85

Post by Souls85 »

does anyone have any other ideas?
Shine

Re: A game Idea Tanks coders needed

Post by Shine »

Souls85 wrote:2 player option with one psp
I can't imagine how this looks like :-)

BTW: writing such simple 2D games is very easy with my Lua Player. You don't need to setup any compiler, just edit the script file and upload some graphics to your memory stick and you are done.

I don't want to implement your game, but you can try it yourself, with the Snake script as a base. There are still some features missing in the script engine, like sound and network support, but you can write the base game to develop and test the gameplay. Sound is planned, for network support I wait until multiple connections and ad-hoc works, before I check how it could be integrated.
Souls85

Post by Souls85 »

cool
two player would work like this
.....= p1 backwards
...=..= p1 right/left
.....= p1 forwards
========
========
========
========
========
========
========
========
========
========
........= p2 forwards
......=..= p2 left/right
........= p2 backwards

the triggers would be shoot.
I check out the lua player in a few secs
Souls85

Post by Souls85 »

nope I havent got the slightest idea on how to go about programming it with lua. like I said on the first post Im a artist not a programmer.
pspepe

Post by pspepe »

hey who said that programming isnt't art? :) one of my teachers say programmers are like architects.

jeje, I'm the coder of dual tetris if anyone else do this maybe i'll do it if i had the time.

The problem for multiplayer is that i don´t know how it works on psp, and i never wrote anything in wireless protocols i don't even know how.

And for playing with 1 psp I dont think it will be fun.

Excuse me for my bad English.
Souls85

Post by Souls85 »

at this time its all just ideas and I guess you could call programming art but in that case its definitely not my canvas. any help you could give would be much appreciated.
your English isn't too bad :)

any other ideas for gameplay modes?
Souls85

Post by Souls85 »

sorry about the pics being gone I accidently purged them when I created my new interface on my webpage...
-edit
Fixed it
Feel free to take a look at my website.
I made some pretty cool psp backrounds.