IrDA PDA-2-PSP Input

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

CPHartman

IrDA PDA-2-PSP Input

Post by CPHartman »

Use this program to use your PDA for text input on the PSP.

Install the .prc file on your PDA and the .pbp file on your PSP. Run both programs and line up the IR ports. The PDA can only send 1 character at a time right now, so type/write one character into the screen and wait for it to send. Its kinda slow, but it will be improved in future versions.

I'll be more than happy to release the source to developers if anyone is interested, but this may end up being more of a proof of concept type application. If developers care, I'll try and bundle the PSP end into a libary so that it can be eaisly implemented in other programs. It also seems like it would be possible to use a PDA for mouse input for the PSP, but that's beyond my knowledge of the PSP and PDA at this point.

Ive only been able to try this on my Zire 21 Palm. Please test this program on other PDA's and let me know if it works.

PDA2PSP.zip[/url]
Arwin

Re: IrDA PDA-2-PSP Input

Post by Arwin »

CPHartman wrote:Use this program to use your PDA for text input on the PSP.

Install the .prc file on your PDA and the .pbp file on your PSP. Run both programs and line up the IR ports. The PDA can only send 1 character at a time right now, so type/write one character into the screen and wait for it to send. Its kinda slow, but it will be improved in future versions.

I'll be more than happy to release the source to developers if anyone is interested, but this may end up being more of a proof of concept type application. If developers care, I'll try and bundle the PSP end into a libary so that it can be eaisly implemented in other programs. It also seems like it would be possible to use a PDA for mouse input for the PSP, but that's beyond my knowledge of the PSP and PDA at this point.

Ive only been able to try this on my Zire 21 Palm. Please test this program on other PDA's and let me know if it works.

PDA2PSP.zip[/url]
Someone posted about a public OBEX library ... porting that should be the best thing to do right now I think.

EDIT: never mind, you intend to use the PDA as a keyboard device. That would be great for mine, I have a Blackberry, except that mine doesn't actually have an IrDA port. :S
Guyfawkes

Post by Guyfawkes »

Just tried sending from my Zodiac PDA and it works fine, takes about 3 seconds to send from Zodiac to the PSP.
Emuholic - PSP, DS, GBA and GP32 news
robomaniac

Post by robomaniac »

I have just tested your program and it works!! nice man!
I have a sony TG-50 using PALM OS

I can write text with the delay, press space and enter to change line. I did try numbers and capital letter, even @ and $. I tryied copy and paste a word but only the frist letter was sent and not the rest.

Thanks a lot!!

Keep up the good work!

I hope to see futur progress ad I hope to test them!
We could chat via our PSP!

Jerome
robomaniac

Post by robomaniac »

the fact of using the PDA as a keyboard is nice but the IR port in on the front so this is not really pratical writting up side down, only if you could switch the entire PSP program screen 180 degre. A compagny all ready came up with a keyboard so we will see.

Jerome
apsd

Post by apsd »

Nice program CPHartman. Glad there are some other coders using infrared here.

@Arwin
I am working on writing (and sort of porting) an OBEX library for the PSP. This will definitely help the PSP connect with many other devices (and allow many other PSP programs to do so). So expect something soon!

Keep up the good work :-)
27Bstroke6

Post by 27Bstroke6 »

I'd urge that the IrDA development paths also consider implementation of the data link protocols for using cell phones (e.g. T610, etc.) for Internet access. Since most modern phones with IR have this capability, it would provide a means for PSP Internet use when a local WiFi connection was unavailable.
strider

Post by strider »

Not 100% related, but...

I'm curious if this code might help offer some clues on reading IR input from remotes, etc. with the intention of allowing the PSP to learn and playback remote signals. (I worked on similar projects in the Palm world).

I started looking into it, but at the time I could only find Output functions. Oh, and I got distracted by the pretty 3D graphics...

Anyway, if you think this code might be helpful, or if you can give me a nudge to the right file/references then I'd be grateful.

Just in case: strider-at-logrus-dot-com

Strider
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

apsd wrote:Nice program CPHartman. Glad there are some other coders using infrared here.

@Arwin
I am working on writing (and sort of porting) an OBEX library for the PSP. This will definitely help the PSP connect with many other devices (and allow many other PSP programs to do so). So expect something soon!

Keep up the good work :-)
Do you happen to know a good tool for reading IrDA signals on the PC? It would be nice to make a debug routine that prints debug info to the IrDA port so that the PC can be used as a debug screen for running PSP software ...