Troubles with Microwindows/Nano-x!

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Mangus

Troubles with Microwindows/Nano-x!

Post by Mangus »

Hey guys been playing with the svn 590 version of the Microwindows for psp but i can't get it to even compile. It won't create it's own *.a files of the header files for linking. And I used a little of my own code and got some *.a files that are apparently not standard. I could use soom help. I'd like to work with the mircowindows after compliling to see what i can do to fix it up. The original makers of the Microwindows port have been quite about it, as far as I know. If anybody out there knows how to compile this give me a little hand here please?
Arwin

Re: Troubles with Microwindows/Nano-x!

Post by Arwin »

Mangus wrote:Hey guys been playing with the svn 590 version of the Microwindows for psp but i can't get it to even compile. It won't create it's own *.a files of the header files for linking. And I used a little of my own code and got some *.a files that are apparently not standard. I could use soom help. I'd like to work with the mircowindows after compliling to see what i can do to fix it up. The original makers of the Microwindows port have been quite about it, as far as I know. If anybody out there knows how to compile this give me a little hand here please?
I had some trouble with this as well. First of all, I think the version I downloaded was already version 704, I think. Make sure you svn co a new version regularly.

Second, I used cygwin, and then set the correct path settings in the bashrc profile file. And of course I used the toolchain.sh to get it all done (and do a regular -p for updates). You need all the automake, autoconfig, wget, etc. in cygwin.

I suggest you look at the tutorial for getting cygwin up and running with the toolchain, then set the right path variables, and then I think the microwindows project in svn should compile.
F9zDark

Post by F9zDark »

If anyone wants to get this compiled into working EBOOTs, I have alot of webspace so I can mirror it. Not even having ANYTHING setup at the moment for PSP development leaves me in the dark on many things. But anyone willing to compile it for the rest of us, I will gladly sacrifice some webspace for it.
Mangus

Post by Mangus »

Thanks Arwin but 590 is the most recent updated version for Microwindows, so it's not that and definitly not Cygwin, every thing is in order there. I got the basic stuff for it to cpompile. Found out for some reason my lib's directory for the pspsdk never got it's .a files. I am now trying to get the microwindows to build in a way that has framebuffer support and the other things neccessary to run PIXIL OE, but the psp-gcc has issues with the build on the structs in the sys/socket.h file. I've assigned it a type in order to stop an error that occurs due to the struct parts not having a type, and now it's complaining that there is no semi-colon after the struct declaration and the missing semi-colon falls where the statement set for the perticular struct. I'm not sure why this is having issues, but i'll keep working on it.
madc

Post by madc »

Before compiling PIXIL OE, FLTK must be compiled. I'm working on it. I'll merge my version of Nano-X with SVN version soon.
Mangus

Post by Mangus »

I wondered about whether FLTK was necessary but if you got it running, thats great. And I haven't looked into it yet but wouldn't it be highly possible to get PIXIL PDA Running if we can get PIXIL OE, I beleive their built in the same fashion, the dependence being if framebuffer is being used during compilation of microwindows.

Which made me think your going the X11 route for running the PIXIL OE aren't you madc? Will the psp support this? I didn't think X11 could be used unless the embedded system supported it.
madc

Post by madc »

To port FLTK, stdio and some similar libs must be implemented for PSP. It's not difficult but will cost some time. I'm only working on it during th weekends, so the progress is slow. Once the libs and FLTK were ported, ports of PIXIL OE, ViewML and Mozilla will be possible.

Nano-X is an X-like system, but it's different from X11, including the protocol.
Mangus

Post by Mangus »

I thought the psp supported all the stdio functions, just the defining of the psp function to the standard function would be necessary correct? Also, what are you using from fltk in perticular?

As for my comment on X11, I was referring to the fact that PIXIL OE requires either: framebuffer support or X11 embedded support (with X11 PIXIL OE can run with out microwinodws/nano-x being used). Are you planning to use X11 rather than a linux normal FrameBuffer (which the port of microwindows uses neither).
Mangus

Post by Mangus »

BTW the microwindows/nano-x will not compile with the linux-mips kernel avaliable from kernel.org. Is there a kernel or at least some of the include/linux and include/asm-mips that can be compiled and linked with the psp-gcc, because the standard kernel files don't work.
madc

Post by madc »

My port of Nano-X is based on a customized framebuffer for PSP. It has nothing to do with Linux or X11.

As far as I know, currently we only have some basic APIs now, which can not fit the requirements of FLTK. FLTK even requries poll() or select()!
Mangus

Post by Mangus »

Didn't know about the necessity of poll() and select(). Thanks for clearing up the whole framebuffer library thing. could you possible release the files your using for psp framebuffer now by any chance? I'd like to see those.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Any of you guys still busy with this? I've added in p-sprint support for typing so we can at least type all the characters, and once I figure out how the modifiers and scancodes in microwindows work, I'll complete it to be fully compliant.

I'd like to see progress on this, as it would be very helpful as a general user interface for applications (after all you have windows, controls, fonts and so on all ready to go), and it seems the best way to port windows and nano-x applications also, as well as porting mozilla, which is becoming interesting now that the wifi is almost sussed.
Mangus

Post by Mangus »

Wow i haven't even looked at this for a while. If a find free time I may get ambitiuos and do a little modding, good luck on your part Arwin, Smash-up Job on the lua player (never gave you the props), attracted quite a bit of newbie programers.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Mangus wrote:Wow i haven't even looked at this for a while. If a find free time I may get ambitiuos and do a little modding, good luck on your part Arwin, Smash-up Job on the lua player (never gave you the props), attracted quite a bit of newbie programers.
Thanks! But the Lua Player is Shine's project. ;) And I agree he and nevyn are certainly doing a great job there.

Right now I'm having trouble with the edit and medit controls - they don't have variable width fonts implemented, and I can't seem to fix that either. Will have to learn a lot more to do so I guess.