Lua minesweeper

Discuss using and improving Lua and the Lua Player specific to the PSP.

Moderators: Shine, Insert_witty_name

JEK

Lua minesweeper

Post by JEK »

Here is my first game in Lua.
It's minesweeper for Lua Player.

If you want to try it, here it is.
Minesweeper.rar

Edit: Added screenshot link.
Screenshot

Edit 2: Added link to a new version with additional features for those interested. Here it is
Screenshot 2

Edit 3: Last update. These levels should be hard enough for even the best of you. Again, here it is
Screenshot 3
Last edited by JEK on Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
--
JEK
MikeHaggar

Post by MikeHaggar »

Looks quite nice... Good work!

Too bad I suck at minesweeper ;)

Seems to be a small bug though.
If you put a flag on a space where there's nothing underneath, and then you press X to reveal the content, then the Flag doesn't disappear like when you press when there's a bomb or number under it. But after you remove the flag again with the triangle button, the square is gone.
Wraggster

Post by Wraggster »

hi there i added an eboot to it and changed the index to script.lua and stuck it on my site with a screenshot --> http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/luaminesweeper.shtml

Thanks for a classic release
Webmaster of http://www.dcemu.co.uk

DCEMU The Worlds Only Homebrew & Gaming Network of Sites.
JEK

Post by JEK »

MikeHaggar wrote: Seems to be a small bug though.
If you put a flag on a space where there's nothing underneath, and then you press X to reveal the content, then the Flag doesn't disappear like when you press when there's a bomb or number under it. But after you remove the flag again with the triangle button, the square is gone.
Ok, thanks!
I have updated the link in my first post with a new version without the bug. I hope... :)
--
JEK
SeraphsWitness

Another Bug

Post by SeraphsWitness »

First of all I'd like to say thankyou for bringing one of my guiltiest pleasures to the PSP. And I feel bad critiquing your program considering I couldn't do something like that. But here it is.

I've played Minesweeper thousands of times on Windows, as a guess. So the mechanics kind of become memory after a while. I noticed while playing your version, sometimes the corners wouldn't have numbers. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but when you're a speed sweeper like I am, and you're playing windows style, you almost always trip up on a mine in the corner. I wouldn't know how to fix that, but it just seems like every corner should have a little "1" there, because corners like that are ALWAYS mines in the windows version, whereas in your version they are not.

Just a suggestion. And other than that, it plays brilliantly. Thankyou very much. Hey maybe a size or difficulty setting would be neat, too! I know I'm pushing it. :-P Rock on, man. Hats off.
gandalf the grey

Post by gandalf the grey »

I made my own "skin" to this, maybe some of you like it:
Just replace the images in the folder to to install(replace)

Fly you fools...
JEK

Re: Another Bug

Post by JEK »

SeraphsWitness wrote:First of all I'd like to say thankyou for bringing one of my guiltiest pleasures to the PSP. And I feel bad critiquing your program considering I couldn't do something like that. But here it is.

I've played Minesweeper thousands of times on Windows, as a guess. So the mechanics kind of become memory after a while. I noticed while playing your version, sometimes the corners wouldn't have numbers. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but when you're a speed sweeper like I am, and you're playing windows style, you almost always trip up on a mine in the corner. I wouldn't know how to fix that, but it just seems like every corner should have a little "1" there, because corners like that are ALWAYS mines in the windows version, whereas in your version they are not.

Just a suggestion. And other than that, it plays brilliantly. Thankyou very much. Hey maybe a size or difficulty setting would be neat, too! I know I'm pushing it. :-P Rock on, man. Hats off.
Thanks for the feedback.
I'll look into that.
--
JEK
JEK

Post by JEK »

I have edited the first post with a new version of the game.
--
JEK
Nikitis

Post by Nikitis »

Could you perhaps make one with 16x30? This is the size of the Windows Minesweeper. I guarauntee that this will put your Minesweeper above that of the others. I like playing on expert mode, otherwise it's too easy and I always win. I know the PSP has the resolution for that size. It seems like to me every minesweeper game that comes out is always too small whether it be for linux or whatever. Would be VERY grateful! Love what you've done so far!

PS BTW it should include 99 bombs with that many squares.
JEK

Post by JEK »

Nikitis wrote:Could you perhaps make one with 16x30?
Let me see what I can do...
--
JEK
SeraphsWitness

Post by SeraphsWitness »

Could someone post an EBoot for the update as well? That would be useful for people like me who can't compile it. :-/

Sorry I'm such a pain.
LuMo

Re: Lua minesweeper

Post by LuMo »

JEK wrote: It's minesweeper for Lua Player.
SeraphsWitness wrote: Could someone post an EBoot for the update as well? That would be useful for people like me who can't compile it. :-/

Sorry I'm such a pain.
no need to compile a LUA game ;) just replace the old script with the new one
JEK

Post by JEK »

First post edited with what is hopefully the last version for now.
Added new and bigger levels.
--
JEK
Nikitis

Post by Nikitis »

It's still in the 8x22 Format. When I downloaded it that's what showed up. I didn't see a separate index.lua file for a greater size or a menu to switch to the 16x30. Any ideas on how to do that?
eboychik

For a beginner - how do i install this?

Post by eboychik »

Sorry to be such a newbie, but how do I catually install this? I downloaded it, expanded it, and copied it into the "Games" folder on my MS, but it came back "data corrupted."

How do I get this to play, please/
sam2u22000

helping with new minesweeper

Post by sam2u22000 »

you have to copy index to a new notepad and rename it script.lua
nevyn

Post by nevyn »

Disregard Sam's message; the correct way to install it is to
1. Download and install LuaPlayer from luaplayer.org if you haven't already done so
2. Install the game folder into GAME/luaplayer/Applications/
eboychik

Doesn;t seem to work for firmware 2.0

Post by eboychik »

Nevyn,

The lua website only has versions for firmware 1.0 and 1.5. When I install version 1.5 onto my MS, and then try to launch it, I get a "game corrupted" warning. Not working for me. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shine

Re: Doesn;t seem to work for firmware 2.0

Post by Shine »

eboychik wrote:The lua website only has versions for firmware 1.0 and 1.5. When I install version 1.5 onto my MS, and then try to launch it, I get a "game corrupted" warning. Not working for me. Any ideas?
Looks like you don't have firmware version 1.0 or 1.5, but 1.52 or 2.0. Lua Player doesn't work on this firmware versions.