Streaming music over SAMBA?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

cydonia

Streaming music over SAMBA?

Post by cydonia »

Are there any HB apps that would let me stream music from a samba share to the PSP using Wi-Fi?

I only got my PSP today, as a gift actually, I'm not particularly interested in playing games or watching movies, but this would be cool.

Radio station streaming would be even cooler too!:)

Thanks
Jim

Post by Jim »

Not yet. But it is something that is possible. There's a lot of work to be done just for the foundations right now.

Jim
cydonia

Post by cydonia »

Jim wrote:Not yet. But it is something that is possible. There's a lot of work to be done just for the foundations right now.

Jim
Ahh yes. Totally understandable, I'm just hugely excited by any mobile device that offers Wi-Fi. Pity it wasn't 802.11G, oh well...

And anyway, I can wait since from what i've read the Australian editions aren't able to load HB yet...

Watch this space!
reakt

Post by reakt »

I'm also very interested in being able to stream media to the PSP, from any server. We would need to implement the following protocols:

RTSP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol, RFC 2326)
SDP (Session Description Protocol, RFC 2327)
RTP (RTSP Transport Protocol, RFC 1889)
(Take a look at rtsp.org for more info on all of these.)

I could help with the first two, but there may be an easier way...

The RealNetworks Helix DNA client could be ported. This client has already been ported to Symbian amongst other embedded platforms. More info at https://porting.helixcommunity.org/. It's open-source. Well, mostly - some of the proprietary stuff, like the Real's RDT protocol and the decoders are provided in binary form. So I need to check to see if any of the pre-compiled binaries they offer are suitable. I'll also have a plough through their licensing agreements to see if this would be allowed.

One hurdle to overcome is to get the DNS resolver to work. Psppet - if you're reading this, have you been successful in getting it to work yet? I read this in your wifi code sample:
my_socket.h://REVIEW: need a "gethostbyname" workalike using Resolver API
Perhaps you've figured it out since you typed that?

In order to provide a gethostbyname facility I think we need to use
sceNetResolverCreate()
and then

sceNetResolverStartNtoA()

I've had a play around with these but no luck.
If you search google you'll find a Japanese site where someone else has been trying to get this to work also. I don't think they've been successful either.
Bytrix

Post by Bytrix »

I've started work on a little personal project, as I couldn't quite get my head around streaming the media I'm doing it this way:

Download track, start playing when it's all downloaded, while playing that track, download the next one.

I only just got my PSP yesterday so I'm not sure what the speed or connection reliability of the WiFi is yet but I'm hoping to get this working by the end of the week, then I can get a pair of speakers in my garage and plug in the PSP to listen to all my MP3s.
Anthrox

Post by Anthrox »

What about porting VLC media player?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
VLC (initially VideoLAN Client) is a highly portable multimedia player for various audio and video formats (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, DivX, mp3, ogg, ...) as well as DVDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols. It can also be used as a server to stream in unicast or multicast in IPv4 or IPv6 on a high-bandwidth network.
i dont know if it can work but worth a look?
Bytrix

Post by Bytrix »

I was thinking about that, but the bandwidth needed... like I said I don't know just how fast the WiFi connection is yet. But VLC could take care of all the hard work with it's client server interface it could resize to the PSPs screen res and format that the PSP could handle ( with little processor usage and compression to save the bandwidth), all on the hosting PC.

That would be truly great if you could for example stick a DVD in your PC and watch it on the PSP.