Lua Player PC Preview?

Discuss using and improving Lua and the Lua Player specific to the PSP.

Moderators: Shine, Insert_witty_name

XRS

Lua Player PC Preview?

Post by XRS »

Is there any way to preview the scripts made in lua before put it on PSP?
Like, i want to test it in PC, not in PSP...
Theres is any way??

P.S. Sorry my bad english!
Nils

Post by Nils »

u can try web lua (lua 4 only) for tiny bits of your code or install Lua Cheia on your pc.

Useful links ...
http://luaplayer.org
http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaAddons
Puzzle Bobble - The arcade port!
XRS

Post by XRS »

They dont work...
I want something that let me preview the homebrews made for PSP before put them in there...
Like, a LuaPlayer Preview, cause ive download many lua distro's, and when i click run script, they get an error, in the code, but in PSP it works...
Shine

Post by Shine »

XRS

Post by XRS »

It works!!! ^^
Sine,please continue the good work and release new versions of Lua Player for windows, because this have many errors and is very slw, like you said on that post!!

Thanks!
XRS

Post by XRS »

Shine, could you make a better version of your LuaPlayer for windows??
This one version doesnt works very well, like, i want to try my homebrews, because i dont have my PSP with me, and i cant :(

There is other way to try it??
I use LuaIDE to make my homebrews...
Shine

Post by Shine »

Can you give some details of the errors you've found? And perhaps can you post your computer speed, memory and graphics card? Sometime you can enable and disable VSync in your graphics setting, it maybe very slow, if you have disabled VSync. Then I'll try my best, but the PC version is just meant for testing, not for a full gaming environment for PC.
Evil Inside

Post by Evil Inside »

Great work on this shine.

Thanks for making this.
XRS

Post by XRS »

Shine wrote:Can you give some details of the errors you've found? And perhaps can you post your computer speed, memory and graphics card? Sometime you can enable and disable VSync in your graphics setting, it maybe very slow, if you have disabled VSync. Then I'll try my best, but the PC version is just meant for testing, not for a full gaming environment for PC.
For example, when i have a image, and it needs to wait till i press start, when i press start the Lua Player turns black, and crashes, and 10 seconds later, it closes...
I used for tests games made for LuaPlayer, like PSP Air Hockey, DR Mario...

My PC is a Pentium M 1.6Ghz, 512 RAM, and a graphic of 64MB, a AT RADEON MOBILITY 9700!

If you could make a better version, it will be very cool!!
F34R

Post by F34R »

maybe its your code thats the problem. So far, the windows lua player works very well for me. I havent had the errors you are talking about. Everything Lua that I've had on my PSP, plays on windows just fine.
XRS

Post by XRS »

Its not my code...i've tested some games that have been made for LuaPlayer...like dr mario, psp air hockey, and they are very slow, and when i hit start button dor example (in the dr mario game) dont appear the next screen, and its very slow, that crash.
Some seconds later, it closes itself...
F34R

Post by F34R »

XRS wrote:Its not my code...i've tested some games that have been made for LuaPlayer...like dr mario, psp air hockey, and they are very slow, and when i hit start button dor example (in the dr mario game) dont appear the next screen, and its very slow, that crash.
Some seconds later, it closes itself...
You are obviously doing something wrong. Dr. Mario, and Air Hockey both play just fine for me.
XRS

Post by XRS »

I've downloaded the game, put that on the folder that has luaplayer, then i open a cmd box, i go to the luaplayer directory and i write luaplayer script.lua and it open...but i cant play...

You can??
F34R

Post by F34R »

yes, I dont have any problems with the windows luaplayer.
XRS

Post by XRS »

I've found that when i prompt cmd and then open luaplayer for windows, it puts my CPU usage at 100%, so its because that its very slow, but isnt normal, because i play NFSU2 and GTA SA with the maximum graphics, withou breaks...

How can i solve this problem??
I need to solve this, to begin my homebrew maker session!
Evil Inside

Post by Evil Inside »

The LuaPlayer for windows is slow, it's still a very, very early release.

Be patient, it will improve.
XRS

Post by XRS »

I´ve tested it in my other computer, and it plays cool...
I dont know whats wrong with the laptop computer...And its better than this PC...

Laptop:
P M 1.6ghz
512MB RAM 400mhz
ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9700/64MB

Desktop:
P IV 2.5ghz
1GB RAM 333mhz
NVIDIA GeForce MX 440 128MB

I need help, because i cant use this computer (desktop),cause its my server..

Any susgestions??
Shine

Post by Shine »

XRS wrote:I've found that when i prompt cmd and then open luaplayer for windows, it puts my CPU usage at 100%, so its because that its very slow, but isnt normal, because i play NFSU2 and GTA SA with the maximum graphics, withou breaks...
Did you switched VSync to "on"? I can reproduce your 100% CPU usage, if I set VSync to "off" in the OpenGL graphics settings, which of course doesn't make sense: It will show you more fps in some games, but your display can't display more frames per second than VSync :-)

But perhaps there are some buggy graphics card drivers out there, which doesn't allow to set VSync on, so I've added a delay to the display thread. Try this version: http://www.luaplayer.org/luaplayer-with-delay.zip
XRS

Post by XRS »

I have vertical syncronization "on" on openGL preferences, and its better with your new version, but have breaks and in that breaks my CPU usage is 100%!!

I dont know what to do...this graphic card is good, but i dont know what to do...
LuMo

Post by LuMo »

great work!
enables me to playback with about 40% cpu usage @about 15mbram

still have to say:
one script works on the windows player but not on psp
maybe cause of loading too many png images... (ram?!)

whats the limit for psp?

NOTE:
was coding all night and i was wondering:
i try to navigate 2 characters in a game
one with left, right and l trigger the other one with circle, square and r trigger
further when i move char 1, only character one moves
when i move character 2 left and right (using circle and square) BOTH characters move...
when i enter the script onto the psp it works fine (every character is seperated)

thought that may be interesting for you.

greets
LuMo
XRS

Post by XRS »

For when a new version of Lua Player PC preview??

I want to make some tests with sounds and others that these versions doesnt work.

I dont put it on my PSP, cause, its version 2.00...

So i want something to test it!
Shine

Post by Shine »

XRS wrote:So i want something to test it!
Looks like you are a bit impatient, try some autogenic training :-) Sorry that I don't spend 100% of my spare time on it, but I'm still working on it.
liquid8d

Post by liquid8d »

Damn Shine.. what's wrong with you! 99% ain't good enough. Stop answering posts and get to work :)

I was actually wondering about this as well, but it hasn't been a necessity for me as of yet. I had some issues loading images with the PC version, so I'll have to go back and look into it.

Mostly I am just editing with the wonderful notepad programs right on my psp. If not, then its just as easy to: enable USB, drag and drop, and run from Lowser ;)
XRS

Post by XRS »

Shine wrote:
XRS wrote:So i want something to test it!
Looks like you are a bit impatient, try some autogenic training :-) Sorry that I don't spend 100% of my spare time on it, but I'm still working on it.
Yes, i am! :P
I want to release my homebrews to beta testers, but i want to test them first!

I use this topic and ask something about file format:

1- I want to use a video to the presentation, may I?
1.1 - If yes, in what formats?

2- Its possible to make cool 3D graphics with Lua Player??

3- When you think that you will end your Lua Player tutorial and another Lua Player PC Preview?

4- What will be the new features when you release another version of Lua Player??

Thanks...
LuMo

Post by LuMo »

i do not write on luaplayer but i think someone should say that at that point

do you know the word 'WAIT' or 'PATIENCE'?
you can get lots of examples from games that are written in lua..
and there are some of em around ;)

2- Its possible to make cool 3D graphics with Lua Player??
for sure, if you can do it ;)

3- When you think that you will end your Lua Player tutorial and another Lua Player PC Preview?
when its done

4- What will be the new features when you release another version of Lua Player??
use the search, or browse some other threads

lots of ppl can wait till shine brings up another part of his great and hard work, so why don't you do the same

greets
sorry if its bit rough...
aldebaran

While testing....

Post by aldebaran »

while testing a .lua script on my PC how can I emulate the pression of one button of the PSP (x,O, START,....). Thanks