2D Spek of PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Yodajr

2D Spek of PSP

Post by Yodajr »

Hello

Where I can find the 2D specifications of PSP ? (number of Layers, number of sprites, colors max, type of special effects, ...)
Like GBAtek
chp

Post by chp »

Layers? Sprites? I think you have this mistaken for a Nintendo. :) We have a framebuffer, and then we render into that using the CPU or the GPU, nothing else. There are no hardware-accelerated sprites or any layers that are interleaved by the display-hardware. Please look into the PSPSDK and you'll hopefully get the hang of it.

Color max is 16777216 colors. Special effects? Well, what can you think of? the PSP can probably handle 30 fullscreen passes if you deal with it properly.
GE Dominator
Yodajr

Post by Yodajr »

So, if I want to make a 2D classic game on PSP, I have to draw everything pixel by pixel ?
If this question is too stupid, just ignore it, I will look into this PSPSDK (I dont know where to search, but don't worry ^^)
chp

Post by chp »

Well, more or less. But, you have a really powerful GPU that will help you with that task. Do look into the PSPSDK, it has a few examples to help you on your way.
GE Dominator
Ratty

Post by Ratty »

Check out the "blit" and "sprite" samples, these use hardware accelerated sprites (effectivly textured polygons), you'll get a good speed with them. The "copy" sample shows how to quickly copy images from ram to the framebuffer/vram. It's basically one function to copy an array of pixels.

If you want to do alpha blending, rotation, and other fancy stuff, then the "blit" and "sprite" samples are what you want. The "blit" sample is splitting up a full screen image into a number of sprites and drawing them, easily modified to draw any size sprite you want.
Yodajr

Post by Yodajr »

Thank you for the answers :)
I'm downloading it right now.

And you right chp, I learned programming on GBA ^^
jason867

Post by jason867 »

Most of what I know was also learned while programming on the GBA...

I always wondered if there were such things as hardware controlled layers and sprites on the psp, like on the gba. I would've asked but I feared it might make me look more like a n00b, lol...
Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee, besides, I'm playing my PSP, tee hee!
------------------------------------------------------
Visit my website for my PSP Homebrew!