PSP Flower 1.0

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

memon

PSP Flower 1.0

Post by memon »

Hi,

I decided to learn some PSP coding this weekend and ported part of my old demo to PSP. I think the port went pretty smoothly. It could still use some optimisation to make it to render 60fps, but for me the more important thing was to get my hands dirty with the new hardware :)

You can grab it here:

www.moppiproductions.net/products/moppi-pspflower.zip
ZMaster

Post by ZMaster »

Looks awesome. Is it a demo for the PC originally?
What GFX API are/were you been using?
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

Love it! gerbera next? ;)
Kro

Post by Kro »

ZMaster: looks like Asm'04 invitro (link).
Saotome

Post by Saotome »

o_O first I thought some kiddie ported his "hello world flower" demo to psp or something ;) But... now I'm speechless. I expected everything but not that :) - nice one
infj
reakt

Re: PSP Flower 1.0

Post by reakt »

Unfortunately it doesn't work on my PSP (PSP1001 version 1.50). Strange - first piece of homebrew I've tried that hasn't worked -
"The game could not be started. (80020130)"
Too bad as the demo sounds really nice - I could do with something to brighten up my PSP - October is an ugly month for the PSP - gold, urgh!
ZMaster

Post by ZMaster »

reakt wrote:...brighten up my PSP - October is an ugly month for the PSP - gold, urgh!
I thought it was yellow and I couldn't think of anything brighter than that, except white perhaps but that would make the menu unreadable ;-))
memon

Post by memon »

The demo was originally made for PC as pointed by Kro. The PC version used OpenGL, and this version uses the GU API. I don't think I'll port our other demos, since it's much more fun to create new ones :) This effect is just nice and simple so I've been using it to test the latest handhelds. Needless to say it does not look at nice on NDS ;)

Strange that it does not work on some PSPs. I have the european 1.52 version originally and I downgraded that.

I had some problems when creating the program, though. Unless I used the O2 compiler flags it did not work. Maybe it is somehow realated. I think I got the same error when I tried to build and run the 'cwd' example without the O2 flag.
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

If it doesn't work, nine times out of ten it has to do with the program used to add the exploit and do the folders. Somehow, some of the newer programs don't all work. So far it seems that only the old KXploit Tool 0.3 produces files that always work on every 1.5 PSP.

Therefore it's probably best to always release the original compiled Eboot.pbp in your release package, that way people can use the tool on it that they know works for their machine, in case the pre-compiled one fail.s

And with that said, can I just say WOW! If this was something on MTV it'd be my favorite clip. But this is a coded demo! Awesome job! Brings back memories of back in the days when I watched all those great old coding groups do their thing and just feel amazed and wooshed, as I never felt I could ever make something like that myself - one of the rare moments in my life where I felt I could do little more than just sit back and watch in awe. One characteristic of a good demo was great music (what was that 486 demo mod-composer again, a finish guy called Purple or something ... can't remember exactly), and this demo has it. I love also how the growing flowers (seem to?) react to the music. Great stuff!

Originally I expected a 3D flower to grow and blossom, or something, but this is unexpected and great. Ok, enough fanboyism, back to work. :) (or sleep, rather, after a lap in GT4)
Kro

Post by Kro »

Arwin wrote:guy called Purple or something ... can't remember exactly), and this demo has it.
Purple Motion. And you're probably talking about Second Reality demo by Future Crew (ported from PC to C64 by Smash Designs).
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

memon wrote:I had some problems when creating the program, though. Unless I used the O2 compiler flags it did not work. Maybe it is somehow realated. I think I got the same error when I tried to build and run the 'cwd' example without the O2 flag.
I just tested the cwd sample with a fresh checkout and build of SVN revision 1109, and it works just fine both with and without O2. Can you provide a small example that shows this problem?
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

Wow, wonderful stuff really...
Tim

Post by Tim »

I get the same problem reakt gets. Same version of PSP too. (PSP1001 with 1.5 fw)

I'm anxious to see this demo after reading all the praise it got, mind releasing the original eboot? :-)
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

dont work for me either :/

i recommend building the eboots with pspsdk and not use any of these fancy tools at all, they arent needed anyway. (just rename the directories manually for release)
ector

Post by ector »

memon, in case you haven't noticed, "make kxploit" is your friend (or did you use it?) :)

Oh and btw, if this is the same effect as the one in that ASM invitro, it's one of my favourite demo effects ever. Just beautiful....
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~tronic/PSPTexTool.zip Free texture converter for PSP with source. More to come.
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

i got it to work....just copy the content of the flower______1 dir (eboot.pbp and data dir) into the respective directory of some other working program - or use a working eboot from some other FOOBAR% dir. err whatever, you get the idea :=P

very cool effect. shows me again how much my design skills suck :=P
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thanks groepaz, that fixed it for me. And I must say.... holy crap. That's one hell of a demo.

~Tim
sicksand

Post by sicksand »

nice one.
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

reakt wrote:Strange - first piece of homebrew I've tried that hasn't worked - "The game could not be started. (80020130)"
tim wrote:I get the same problem reakt gets.
groepaz wrote:dont work for me either :/
This isn't surprising, and is exactly the reason why the psksdk's "make kxploit" target does not (and should not) generate these silly long filenames. Whether it works depends on the order that the files are copied to the memory stick:

Code: Select all

Copy flower~1% first:

flower~1 is the short name for flower~1%
  flower~2 is the short name for flower_________________________1

Copy flower_________________________1 first:

flower~1 is the short name for flower_________________________1
  flower~2 is the short name for flower~1%
The second case works properly. The first does not. Remember why the kxploit trick works at all: the vsh sees a nicely formed file in "flower~1%", but then passes "flower~1" to the bootstrap, which executes the bare ELF. If "flower~1" is the short name for the wrong directory, of course it won't work.
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

interisting, makes sense.... weird enough i've never had problems with it before, and i'm using those silly long filenames all the time :)
ector

Post by ector »

I miss the way the PC version faded into blue electronic-circuit flowers.... :)
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~tronic/PSPTexTool.zip Free texture converter for PSP with source. More to come.
blasty

Post by blasty »

Wow, very cool effect! Good job for a weekend of coding on a new system! ;)
Tim

Post by Tim »

Ector: I didnt see the original, but it does some nifty bluish things if you press some buttons :-) So pretty!
memon

Post by memon »

I'll take a loot at that Makefile of mine. So much for the copy paste thing :) I just got that piece of code from the forums, and though it was nicer since I gets rid of the broken directory. I think I copied the stuff from Ramus' script, basically the kx-install part.

I'm using the SDK from SVN, but I think my version is about a week old. I can try to make a small example which does not work. Actually the other sample that crashes is the USB sample (I think I forgot to mention that). So it might be either somehow related to the constructor attribute or the exception handler (just guessing...).

And thanks for the kind words :)
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

memon wrote:I'll take a loot at that Makefile of mine. So much for the copy paste thing :) I just got that piece of code from the forums, and though it was nicer since I gets rid of the broken directory. I think I copied the stuff from Ramus' script, basically the kx-install part.
Never mind what we said, Jimparis got it right. :)
LuMo

Post by LuMo »

wow, thats awesome!

i would be curious to see the source :)

greets
"Good artists copy, great artists steal."
Pablo Picasso
go2lumo.com
kabuki

Post by kabuki »

Wow, awesome!
Loved the original, and I love this one even more :)

Only problem:
I got several vertical green lines when viewing the demo. The rest seems to be fine. Perhaps a problem of my PAL-PSP? Its a PSP1004 with downgraded 1.5 fw.
ZMaster

Post by ZMaster »

kabuki wrote:Wow, awesome!
Perhaps a problem of my PAL-PSP? Its a PSP1004 with downgraded 1.5 fw.
I have the same piece of hardware and didn't run into any problems... Furthermore I supposed there was no such thing as a NTSC or PAL PSP because they all have the same format through the included screen.
kabuki

Post by kabuki »

Okay, now that I think about it, it really makes no sense to have two different screen-modes with one display... :)
But the lines are there. I encountered the same problem when I tried to load isos which where labeled "US", but no problem with the "EUR"-version or the original UMDs (only European). Also this is the first homebrew-App where this problem occurs.
reakt

Post by reakt »

jimparis wrote:

Code: Select all

Copy flower~1% first:

flower~1 is the short name for flower~1%
  flower~2 is the short name for flower_________________________1

Copy flower_________________________1 first:

flower~1 is the short name for flower_________________________1
  flower~2 is the short name for flower~1%
The second case works properly. The first does not. Remember why the kxploit trick works at all: the vsh sees a nicely formed file in "flower~1%", but then passes "flower~1" to the bootstrap, which executes the bare ELF. If "flower~1" is the short name for the wrong directory, of course it won't work.
ahah! this fixes it - thanks jim.
Well this really is a beautiful little production! It raises the bar in PSP demos. I look forward to the next production on PSP from moppi.