Linux (again)

General, off-topic discussion about things of interest to the members of these forums.

Moderator: cheriff

ole

Linux (again)

Post by ole »

Please note that I'm linux newbie, so my questions may be pretty lame.

1) Are the sources of the sony linux kernel publicly availabe, if so where, if not why?

2) What is the status of the sony linux kernel? Is it constantly developping? What is their current kernel version ?

3) Is it possible to build linux kernel for ps2 from the common public sources (and let's say by using the ps2dev toolchain)? If not, what are the absolute necessary pieces of code that is missing to achieve this?

4)I understand that there is a rte that provides some sort of layer for accessing the iop but is it really necessary? What about to create new drivers / modules for accessing the hw that kernel needs for "basic" operation? Or is there any other way?

5) If I remeber the dreamcast scene well, one of the first homebrew application that appeared when the free compiler toolchain became available was linux. So I'm wondering why the homebrew linux for ps2 is not ready when the usable compilers are at least 2 years old now :-) Is the reason the hw complexity or just small inetrest of people around the dev scene?
nicp067

Post by nicp067 »

1- Yes at http://playstation2-linux.com/
2- 2.2.26 http://playstation2-linux.com/projects/xrhino-kernel Sony offered kernel 2.2.1 with th elinux kit.
3-I guess you can build the kernel with the ps2dev toolchain but never tried it.
4-Im no expert but I think the RTE is necessary. to provide basic function to linux. Have a llok in ps2dev.org cvs for the TGE project its replacement for the RTE (its a work in progress not booting linux yet).
5-Again Im no expert but the Dreamcast is running some kind of windows ce buillt in so maybe the dreamcast already have basic support for an OS(Speculation). The ps2 is a more complexe hardware thats probaly why.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

personally I dont see any use for yet another console with linux on it, and I guess most ppl doing ps2dev are happy with working natively on the ps2.
Kung VU
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

The RTE is there in some part because it's slightly more troublesome for linux when the main processor does not have direct control over IO devices. Of course this dovetails nicely with Sony not wanting to release code and too much info about the SIF and IOP itself.

You probably can build the linux kernel using normal ps2dev tools as the kernel is just a static elf program. Though how complex it is to build I don't know.
Darren

Post by Darren »

There is 2.4.17 kernel but it breaks compatability with some other things within the older kernel kit.
http://www.kingchurch.net/~hek/projects ... .17bb.html
If you want to keep high compatability with existing ps2linux work then your best chance would be to continue with TGE.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

As far as I know, the dreamcast didn't have windows ce built in - it was included on the discs of games that needed it.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

ooPo wrote:As far as I know, the dreamcast didn't have windows ce built in - it was included on the discs of games that needed it.
DOH >_< I wrote a lengthy and informative (yeah, actual information instead of my usual ramblings) reply about this very thing but forgot to hit submit.
Yeah, the DC did NOT have a builtin CE, it came on any disc that needed it. There is nothing really special hardware has to do to "have support for an OS" it's more the other way around, the OS has to have support for the hardware. That being said the DC was a lot simpler hardware to move an OS onto than the PS2 is.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development