WAV file not read?

Discuss using and improving Lua and the Lua Player specific to the PSP.

Moderators: Shine, Insert_witty_name

Koba

WAV file not read?

Post by Koba »

ok, i have tried two methods of grabbing the first 5 seconds of a song and putting it in a wav file for lua to play, first was windows movie maker, then sound recorder to turn it into a wav, second was audacity (mac) it edits and saves as wav, BOTH recieved an error while attempting to play in LUA, now is there a certain codec for LUA or somthing? kuz this is kind of pathetic... i like how easy lua is to learn and use, but it seems to have very tight limits...
Shine

Re: WAV file not read?

Post by Shine »

Koba wrote:i like how easy lua is to learn and use, but it seems to have very tight limits...
It's still a 0.x version, so expect all kinds of strange problems, but you are invited to fix the bugs :-)

The reason for your wave problem might be, that currently PCM is supported, only. Microsoft might save WAV files in ADPCM or other WAV subformats. If you use the Microsoft sound recorder, you can convert your files and speficy the output format.
Koba

Post by Koba »

well then, i get your point. i'll check into that, and if i knew C++ i would gladly help out, but alas, i am too lazy to take the time to learn C++, seeing as how i have never used a tutorial to learn a language before, i simply learn from experiance and help from others. and i am damn good at what i do (in time ;)) well, i'm off to work on my LUA game, ttyl
stonepimp

Post by stonepimp »

I'm having a similar issue with a 5Mb WAV file. Are there any file size limitations ? if not, what can I do to convert this horrendously large WAV file into something that I can actually use within my lua game???

what programs are out there that convert a WAV file (or OGG file as I have it in that format as well) into the correct WAV file.

SP.

PS: the file is not copyright.

PPS: what is an XM file and can I convert to that format...? Snake and AirHockey both have these music style files? any info folks?
Shine

Post by Shine »

stonepimp wrote:I'm having a similar issue with a 5Mb WAV file. Are there any file size limitations ? if not, what can I do to convert this horrendously large WAV file into something that I can actually use within my lua game???
If you are using Windows, there is a program in multimedia called "Sound Recorder", which can load waves and with which you can save waves, for example in 8 bit mono.
stonepimp wrote: PPS: what is an XM file and can I convert to that format...? Snake and AirHockey both have these music style files? any info folks?
http://www.google.de/search?q=xm+s3m+it+mod
Last edited by Shine on Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
stonepimp

Post by stonepimp »

Excellent - thanks Shine.

[ PS. thx for the inf on nested tables. much appreciate ! ]