PSPUptime

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

harleyg

PSPUptime

Post by harleyg »

Anyone know how i can make a program that shows the psp's uptime, probably in c/c++, but is this possible in lua ?
SharkOne

Post by SharkOne »

Well, unless for the educational purpose, what would be the point of having a fullscreen, "running-exclusively" program displaying the PSP uptime ?
--
SharkOne, www.en-mousse.org
harleyg

Post by harleyg »

no i was thinking after that is made, makeing a mod/hack to add the uptime next to the time in the main menu...
seventoes

Post by seventoes »

Cant be done...
harleyg

Post by harleyg »

why the hell not... the menu is on the flash drive, then you must be able to edit it... and if you can make a program saying its uptime then incorpatrate it in...
CyberBill

Post by CyberBill »

You do not understand how the PSP works.

Any time you run a program (a UMD game, a homebrew app, ANYTHING) the PSP completely resets itself, resetting the internal clock in the process.

Also, editing the main menu/ PSP Operating System is not easy. I have not seen ANYONE do it with the single exception being the WAB version changer which is extremely primitive.
ector

Post by ector »

Most parts of the menu app is encrypted. We cannot encrypt replacements. That's it. The only way would be some buffer overflow in reading one of the non encrypted files.
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~tronic/PSPTexTool.zip Free texture converter for PSP with source. More to come.
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

Any time you run a program (a UMD game, a homebrew app, ANYTHING) the PSP completely resets itself, resetting the internal clock in the process.
i'm not so sure about that...you can maybe derive "uptime" from the tickcounter and the rtc somehow. you can maybe also patch the kernel in a way that it saves the current state of the counter when it resets. it doesnt quite reset "completely" at all unless you turn it off :)
Also, editing the main menu/ PSP Operating System is not easy. I have not seen ANYONE do it with the single exception being ...
actually editing the menu is extremely easy, since its based on resource files. naoneo has done it, as have others. displaying something on the screen while the menu is running is also entire possible.
... WAB version changer which is extremely primitive.
on that we can agree :o)
harleyg

Post by harleyg »

groepaz wrote:
i'm not so sure about that...you can maybe derive "uptime" from the tickcounter and the rtc somehow. you can maybe also patch the kernel in a way that it saves the current state of the counter when it resets. it doesnt quite reset "completely" at all unless you turn it off :)
Also, editing the main menu/ PSP Operating System is not easy. I have not seen ANYONE do it with the single exception being ...
actually editing the menu is extremely easy, since its based on resource files. naoneo has done it, as have others. displaying something on the screen while the menu is running is also entire possible.
... WAB version changer which is extremely primitive.
on that we can agree :o)
nice post, so how would we actually make a program for psp that shows its uptime, to begin with. then we would have to insert the code into the menu... :)
CyberBill

Post by CyberBill »

Get the tick counter, divide by the tick frequency. Thats uptime. Each time you restart the PSP its counter goes back to 0.

This works the same on most platforms. timeGetTime on the PC for example.

This is all really dumb though, because there is no way you are going to hack the kernel/os like you think you are. Wait until someone else cracks it really nice and open so you have something to work with.
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

indeed. making the uptime thingy is trivial, hacking it into the menu is going to be an expert job :)
harleyg

Post by harleyg »

lol, i can make an uptime app for the comp, but yeh ill wait