Mac OS on the PSP? Well, maybe. Major cheating involved.

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Looks like version 1.0 uses a JIT for x86. I can't use it here, but that's very cool. I'll definately look into using SDL right now.

Thanks guys!
w00t
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Ok, new version is up.
What's new?
1) Better video driver (still quite imperfect)
2) Handles disk images. (no more ? disk, now happy mac)

What's still wrong?
1) Video is not scaled.
2) Unreadable error (due to video scaling) prevents MacOS from booting. I do not have very many MacOS boot disks to try, but my copy of 7.5.5 which boots on my PC Basilisk does not seem to boot here, others are welcome to try.
3) No input. (No the mouse cursor won't move if you play with your analog stick.

How to check it out:
1) There's a pre-built EBOOT.PBP in the BasiliskII-0.9/src/PSP folder. Use something like SaiPSPTool to get it on your 1.0 or 1.5 PSP.
2) You will need to put a Mac II ROM in the root memory card folder named mac.rom
3) You will need a MacOS system disk in the root memory card folder called system.dsk. Technically it should auto-scan for .dsk files and add them as floppy drives but I haven't really tested that situation out yet.

What will happen:
It will come to a blue screen with text, which switches to a slightly messed up looking screen which will eventually say Starting emulation... Then the screen will go grey and you'll get either a disk with a blinking question mark (bad or missing system.dsk file) or a happy mac and then whatever happens happens. I got a blank error message type box. Your milage may vary.

Thanks
w00t
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

It seems that the download bz2 is corrupt :-/
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Re-uploaded. Should be fine now.
w00t
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Still getting a CRC error on it from bunzip2.
BasiliskII-0.9.tar.bz2:
[1: huff+mtf data integrity (CRC) error in data
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Video is 100% Working now so enjoy. I still can't get OS 7.5 to boot, it just comes up to a blank box (normally says welcome to macintosh). Any Mac troubleshooters around here?
It doesn't seem to be accessing the disk as much as I think it should... Or I could just be impatient and it takes a really long time to load.

That URL again is: http://www.animezilla.org/BasiliskII-0.9.tar.bz2
w00t
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

I got further w/ that new build... I got the Welcome to Macintosh! screen, it actually said it, then shortly after there is a crash... the screen is overlayed with orange lines and text reads:

BadVAddr - E77D5F8B

And some other addresses that are hard to make out because of the video distortion are below.

I'm sending you a related link via PM.
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Just gave it a second go and got a different error: <-- correction, same error, just properly displayed this time.
Exception Occured! Details:

Exception - Bus error (data)
EP - 08912DAC
Cause - 0000001C
Status - 60008613
BadVAddr - E77D5F8B
There may be more text below, but it would be cut off the screen.

Always BadVAddr - E77D5F8B.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

I'm probibly not converting a host address to mac or a mac address to host properly. That address is way out of range. I'll wait for your file so I can see the problem. I sure wish this worked with more ROM/System combos.
w00t
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

I'm sure once those bugs are fixed, other systems/roms will work too.
mustardseed

Post by mustardseed »

I'm using a quadra 650 rom. I couldn't get my System 7.1 or 7.5 disks to do anything. My copies may have been in the wrong format though. System 6 booted up to the "Welcome to macintosh" screen except it did not show the text "Welcome to Macintosh" just the white box.

Looking great so far though, I can't wait to be able to run some old mac software. I've been a mac guy since these computers we're emulating were the top of the line. ahh the mac IIci ad photoshop 2.5....

I'll try to test as much as I can. Hope this helped in anyway.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Right now the working combination seems to be a Quadra 750/900 ROM and System 7.5.5. The system disk is a pretty common one which I can post because System 7.5.5 is free, the ROM you will have to pull from a Quadra yourself. (I have a 900. Ghastly huge thing; I'm sure it was made out of tank armor.)

-- EDIT --
I have uploaded a 5MB version of the boot disk here: http://www.animezilla.net/system.dsk
w00t
ChaosKnight

Help

Post by ChaosKnight »

Ok, no more exception error... but it doesn't finish loading either. It seems to get stuck in some kind of loop without actually erroring. So I'm asking for any help I can get in making this work or hunting down the problem.
To that end I have created a source package and a binary package to test the emulator.

To just play around and see it boot:
1) Download http://www.animezilla.net/BasiliskII.zip. This will give you all the files you need EXCEPT mac.rom. You need to have your own ROM. Currently only the Quadra 900 ROM is known to work, but I encourage everyone to try thier own ROMs out, maybe some other ROM is more compatible.
2) Unzip the file on to your memorystick.
3) Add mac.rom to the root of your memorystick (where system.dsk is now)
4) Launch the "game"

To help out a bit:
1) Follow the directions above.
2) Download the development source: http://www.animezilla.org/BasiliskII-0.9.tar.bz2.
3) bunzip BasiliskII-0.9.tar.bz2
4) tar xf BasiliskII-0.9.tar
5) cd BasiliskII-0.9/src/PSP
6) make
7) Get crackin'. The easiest way to see all the debugging messages is to go to BasiliskII-0.9/src/include/debug.h and make the change so it looks like this:

Code: Select all

#ifndef DEBUG_H
#define DEBUG_H

#include <pspdebug.h>
#define bug pspDebugScreenPrintf

//#if DEBUG
#define D&#40;x&#41; x;
//#else
//#define D&#40;x&#41; ;
//#endif

#endif
Then disable the video output by going to BasiliskII-0.9/src/PSP/video_psp.cpp and changing the #define DEBUG 0 to #define DEBUG 1. At this point if you compile and run you will see the blue screen and lots and lots of debugging messages will be flying around. You will see also the loop I had mentioned. To stop seeing this loop comment out line 59 in BasiliskII-0.9/src/emul_op.cpp.

Thanks.
w00t
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

Perhaps it is waiting for some hardware to be initialized that is not yet emulated? Input? Also, it may help to hold shift (disable extensions) during boot, but of course this is currently impossible.

Is it in the same loop on the other rom that doesn't show "Welcome to Macintosh"?

Its probably the same problem at this point.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Perhaps it is waiting for some hardware to be initialized that is not yet emulated? Input?
No. Input is emulated in Basilisk, there are just simple functions to let Basilisk know if a key has been pressed and what it is, or of the mouse has moved and where.
Also, it may help to hold shift (disable extensions) during boot, but of course this is currently impossible.
The 5MB disk image doesn't have any extensions.
Is it in the same loop on the other rom that doesn't show "Welcome to Macintosh"?

Its probably the same problem at this point.
Well, it's not the same problem. that's very odd. I've heard 0.9 had problems with the LC III ROM (my ROM that doesn't work) but my PC version (0.8) doesn't seem to have these problems. One of the biggest problems is that the porting document doesn't go very much in-depth, so it's tough to know what I'm missing. So currently I'm comparing the other ports line for line with mine. The confusing thing is that there is not a big differance.

Don't want to shoot you down, just prevent others from going down paths which lead nowhere. The hardware not yet emulated is a good idea. Although all basic drivers are written there is still some configuration work to be done. The last exception error happened because it was installing a cdrom drive patch and the PSP has no cdrom drive. (UMD is accessed as a regular disk, not a drive)
w00t
ken9

Post by ken9 »

is it possible for someone to get a 1kb rom working cuz my mac is screwed
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

ken9 wrote:is it possible for someone to get a 1kb rom working cuz my mac is screwed
I've never head of a 1KB ROM. What kind of Mac is it?
w00t
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

I guess he meant 1MB rom, which is supported by Basilisk anyway. Any luck on finding the cause of the problem CK? I wish I could help more, but I've not got a PSP dev environment set up and I've done no direct PSP dev.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

The development portion of this thread has been moved here: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=3741
w00t
sandyhxh

Re: Help

Post by sandyhxh »

ChaosKnight wrote: To just play around and see it boot:
1) Download http://www.animezilla.net/BasiliskII.zip. This will give you all the files you need EXCEPT mac.rom. You need to have your own ROM. Currently only the Quadra 900 ROM is known to work, but I encourage everyone to try thier own ROMs out, maybe some other ROM is more compatible.
2) Unzip the file on to your memorystick.
3) Add mac.rom to the root of your memorystick (where system.dsk is now)
4) Launch the "game"
Thanks.
hi , I am a newbie, but where can I get this rom.? anywhere to download?
is it too big?
it's me!
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

where can I get this rom.?
you read it out on your mac. or you do evil things which arent discussed here.
kevinbowers

Need help downloading

Post by kevinbowers »

Hi I just joined today I am not that smart a computers I am a newbie. I need Exact direction on how to download mac OS 7 and how to put it on your psp. So can anyone please help me put mac OS 7 on my PSP (Play Station Portable) I want it just like yours ChaosKnight. So can you please help.

Thank you :)
KeViN BoWeRs