Running EBOOT.PBP's on the PSP

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Talus

Running EBOOT.PBP's on the PSP

Post by Talus »

Hi, I just got a PSP, and I'm new to PSP development. I've been able to run homebrew software on my PSP, but I'm still not exactly sure how it works.

I ran make for the blit sample program under /psp/sdk/samples/gu/blit, and it has generated a file named EBOOT.PBP in addition to the normal stuff. I figured this must be the PSP binary.

I dropped the .PBP file into my PSP's GAME directory, and put it in a new folder called "TEST".

I can see it under the memory card menu, but when I run it, my PSP restarts, then tells me it can't execute it.

I'm using firmware version 1.50, if that's relevant.

Am I doing something wrong? I've been searching to forums for an existing post about my problem, but I must not really know what to look for.
Last edited by Talus on Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChaosKnight

Post by ChaosKnight »

Pick up a tool like SeiPSP or Kxploit, that will create folders from your EBOOT.PBP which will let you execute the code.
w00t
Talus

Post by Talus »

Sweetness. I got it to run!

Thanks.
Saotome

Post by Saotome »

or even better:
don't write just "make" but "make kxploit", it will automaticaly generate two directories, which you just need to copy to your psp game dir.

EDIT: correction kexploit -> kxploit
infj
Talus

Post by Talus »

lol, awesome.

What can't makefiles do? lol
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

or you do just "make", but change the makefile so it has kxploit as additional target, so you don't have to type "make kxploit"

also i modified the build file so it automatically renames the folder (so you don't have corrupted icons) and then copies them to the psp, just lazy to have to do all the steps manually.
Talus

Post by Talus »

What causes those corrupted files anyway? I'm starting to rack up quite a few of them.

If you don't mind, could you please post a copy or an excerpt of your make description file? I have to go diving through corrupted file icons every time I look for an app on my psp lol
Ryu

Post by Ryu »

if you have abc and abc% then you'll see a corrupted icon, however if you rename abc to
"abc _" , well with 32 characters total, and abc% to abc_~1% then no more corruption.

in the Makefile i have EXTRA_TARGETS = EBOOT.PBP kxploit

and in the build.mak i added "renamer" in the kxploit section, which is a c++ program that i had made earlier for windows, and i just recompiled it for unix now, you could make a script that does the same thing.

this code was something like that anyway (in case you want to make a script or something):

len=strlen(name);

strcpy(s,name);
if (len<32)
{
if (len>5) len=5;
for (k=len;k<31;k++) s[k]=' ';
}
s[31]='_';
s[32]=0;
rename(name,s);

strcpy(s,name2);
s[len]=0;
strcat(s,"_~1%");
rename(name2,s);

the program does a bit more like it checks if the folder exists and it also scans the directory, but that is not needed here.
hope it helps.