48bit feature set for ps2atad

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

clement

48bit feature set for ps2atad

Post by clement »

I have modified ps2atad.c to support 48-bit feature set based on the following ATA-6 spec:
http://www.t13.org/docs2002/d1410r3b.pdf

Out of the 10 commands that are available for 48-bit feature set, I can only find 3 commands that are being used in ps2atad.c (READ_DMA, WRITE_DMA, FLUSH_CACHE).
Are there any more commands in the code that I could have missed (like PIO commands)?
CYD

Compile?

Post by CYD »

Do you have to implement the modififed ps2atad.c file with a HDD format utility?

How do you implement the modified ps2atad.c file with a homebrew software?

Thanks,

~CYD
Darren

Post by Darren »

I think the features you have added are OK so far but I don't see much of a point to adding lba48 support. Warez0rs will just want to use this to be able to use larger drives with trash such as HDLoader. This really has no value to the homebrew scene and LBA48 support may have been left out intentionally.
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Coding good! Commenting bad!

Good work. :)
jay69dogg

Frustrated newbie needs help

Post by jay69dogg »

I would like to use this ps2atad to use my full hard drive size. I bought a 200GB for the PS2 only find out after the install and some reading that it would only use 137GB of it. Now i find posts that say you can open it up to full capacity but no one real explains how.

I know nothing about coding and I'm new to the PS2 mods and programs and I'm trying to learn. Unfortuantely, most people in these forums know code and think most questions are dumb. I would like to see one thing work before diving into a "foreign language".

I would like some basic info on how to load code to the PS2. I have no idea how to. I have done some reading and different program names popup. I would like for someone to explain some methods so that I may try them out.

Do you load code from CD-R, ethernet, USB? I have no idea.

I have upgraded a HDD in a TiVo and the info for that was straight forward and easy to understand. I even learned a little about the code. They had all agreed on one program to use. That was an enjoyable experience and made me want to learn more. This PS2 experience is becoming frustating.

Please help!
Jay69Dogg
No programming experience
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Not everyone here thinks questions like that are dumb. The answers you seek are already written into guides and tutorials located on www.ps2dev.org, and various other sites. You've read them, right?

So you should at least have an idea of what you want to know. How do you load a program onto the PS2? Well, you need a way to run a loader like ps2link or naplink, and a client to upload the code over an ethernet link - like inlink, ps2client, or pksh. You need programs to run? There's a bunch of demos on www.thethirdcreation.net.

Where could you read all this? Well, I've written some guides on my site ( http://www.oopo.net/consoledev ) for one, so I know there's info out there. But, enough of tooting my own horn - a lot of this info is already available by clicking the big text that says 'Start Here' on www.ps2dev.org.

You see, we don't think the questions are dumb. We just think people who can't be bothered to take the time to help themselves are...

...but you're not one of those, are you?
clement

Post by clement »

It seems that I have attract unwanted attention (n00b questions) for a board that is meant to talk only about coding for devices in PS2.

Anyway, given that I only have ps2atad.c and the ATA-6 specs to start with, it gave my brain a pretty good workout (It's my first attempt in trying to modify a device driver).
I have already tested the irx with libhdd samples and it seems to be able to detect and format a 200GB HDD without any problem.

There is a danger of using this modified irx: Apps that are still using only 28-bit LBA (in other words, all apps released so far) can corrupt the data/file system/partition info on the HDD by accident.
In other words, every single app that uses ps2atad.irx/atad.irx must be patched for 48-bit in order to ensure that the data on the HDD doesn't get corrupted.

I think the mods/admin can lock this thread now (to prevent more n00b questions) since I am able to get this to work (I think).
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Don't let them get you down. We're attracting a noisier version of a lurker lately...

Keep up the good work.

Post by Guest »

Darren wrote:I think the features you have added are OK so far but I don't see much of a point to adding lba48 support. Warez0rs will just want to use this to be able to use larger drives with trash such as HDLoader. This really has no value to the homebrew scene and LBA48 support may have been left out intentionally.
I am ambivalent myself about this.

Warezors might want to use this to get ever large hard drives for
an ever larger HDLoader stash, but that in and of itself is not a reason
to NOT add support. Warezors can make use of just about anything,
and I suspect ability to use larger capacity hard drives is the least
issue to worry about compared to things they have already used in
developing hdloader.

Having said that, I would agree that larger hard drives don't seem
to be terribly useful, but its his time and effort to spend on it, and
who knows ? It could open up eventually a huge array of home
multimedia possibilities. Once
that PS3 comes out, the obsoleted PS2 could still do some cool things
all thanks to a dev scene that has imagination and foresight to keep
it more relevant, in some appliance-like capacity.

Gorim
jay69dogg

Sorry

Post by jay69dogg »

First off, I would like to apologize if I offended anyone. All the work that people do to write/modify programs is great. It's so cool to see what started out as being just a game console is capable of doing.

Thank you ooPo for providing links, I will read through them again and try to get this figured out. And clement I didn't mean to rage on you. I think this program is/will be great. That is why I want to figure it out so bad. I was just upset to have wasted money on a larger hard drive and then find out later that I could not use all of it. The place that I bought HDLoader from never mention anything about HDD size limits or that some games wouldn't work on it. I use HDLoader because it loads games so much faster than from disks. That started me down the mod-chip path, which has led me to see what the PS2 is capable of. And yes, I just started this quest 5 days ago and it starting to take over my life.

It's people like you that make the cool programs that I use. I realize this feature must have been discovered lately as the 2 threads I have read about it were started yesterday. Hopefully some one will post how to do it in the future so we don't have to go through this.

All the stuff I have done so far was pretty easy. The main hang-ups were learning which mode to burn in. Now I guess I need to learn some other programs. I can't wait to learn how to do this. Thanks for everyone’s help.

And as always, keep up the good work. The rest of us depend on your knowledge.
Jay69Dogg
No programming experience
pixel

Post by pixel »

First: http://hdloader.com/site.php?page=faq#8

Second: even if, someone here does manage to upgrade the atad driver so it would handle drives larger than 128GB, it would be not possible to put that back into "HDLoader".

I'll let this thread open, for the ps2atad discussion, but next time I see "HDLoader" in it, it will be closed.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
Warren

Post by Warren »

For sake of completeness it would be nice to have LBA48 support in atad. Have you submitted a patch?
J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I noticed earlier that ps2sdk filesystems don't have llseek(), but I wasn't too concerned about it before. Now might be a good time to define such a function so that we don't wind up with a dozen different specifications for it.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

why not just make lseek offset 64bit aware, instead of doing a syswish hack.

im sorry, llseek is a linux hack, lseek64 is syswish. ( might be in posix but im not sure, and too tired to look it up atm ).
Kung VU
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

iomanX already supports lseek64(). See ps2drv/iop/include/iomanX.h. fileXio supports it also, so it's available from the EE.

It's up to ps2fs.irx to support it, which IIRC, it already does as PFS is a 64-bit filesystem.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

I knew I should have checked ps2lib/sdk before I posted.
Kung VU
Darren

Post by Darren »

gorim wrote:
Darren wrote:I think the features you have added are OK so far but I don't see much of a point to adding lba48 support. Warez0rs will just want to use this to be able to use larger drives with trash such as HDLoader. This really has no value to the homebrew scene and LBA48 support may have been left out intentionally.
I am ambivalent myself about this.

Warezors might want to use this to get ever large hard drives for
an ever larger HDLoader stash, but that in and of itself is not a reason
to NOT add support. Warezors can make use of just about anything,
and I suspect ability to use larger capacity hard drives is the least
issue to worry about compared to things they have already used in
developing hdloader.

Having said that, I would agree that larger hard drives don't seem
to be terribly useful, but its his time and effort to spend on it, and
who knows ? It could open up eventually a huge array of home
multimedia possibilities. Once
that PS3 comes out, the obsoleted PS2 could still do some cool things
all thanks to a dev scene that has imagination and foresight to keep
it more relevant, in some appliance-like capacity.

Gorim
I suppose you are right on those accounts, :)
There seems to be alot of not so friendly guys here. Thanks to those not-so-nice comments by others. I assume the only way to get real attention on these boards is to ask warez questions instead of trying to learn more about real dev on the playstation2 or maybe they talk like this just to keep their ego's inflated. :roll:

Post by Guest »

Darren wrote: I suppose you are right on those accounts, :)
There seems to be alot of not so friendly guys here. Thanks to those not-so-nice comments by others. I assume the only way to get real attention on these boards is to ask warez questions instead of trying to learn more about real dev on the playstation2 or maybe they talk like this just to keep their ego's inflated. :roll:
Like all forums, there are all kinds of folx. Some are new here, some are
old. Some are uptight in their approaches to others, some are relaxed and
easy going. Either way, most are actually decent folx. One doesn't need to
ask warez questions to get attention, however, just ask questions, there
are people who will answer, and don't be put off any of the responses
(as long as your own goals are good of course), you will get good responses.
Just look at other threads where even so totally basic n00b questions get
answered politely and patiently. The type of people you note are in a
minority here.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

Darren wrote: I suppose you are right on those accounts, :)
The only reason warezors get attention is because most of us dont want them here at all.

more "real" dev questions are certainly welcome, afterall ps2dev.org is dedicated to homebrew development.
Kung VU