Learning C

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Wil

Learning C

Post by Wil »

Hey there. I've been reading the forums here for a long while now -- since I got my psp in March -- and I just recently decided to compile the SDK and toolchain in CygWin and try my hand at programming for the PSP.

I had figured that since I had already programmed in several different languages, and had learned a little bit of C++ a few years ago, as well as being pretty fluent in PHP (which has a lot of the same syntax from what I can tell), that I wouldn't have much trouble. Turns out that was wrong. I could probably get along just fine without, but I know I could do much better if I would just sit down and specifically learn C... and that is where you guys come in.

I bet you guys were thinking "Great, another 'How do I display an image?' question." Well, you're wrong. I was hoping you guys could point me in the direction of some websites, or perhaps even some books that I can buy or get from the local library, that will teach me the basics of C and take me to the point of having a good solid understanding of it C.

Hopefully you guys can help me out by pointing me in the correct direction and I hope I haven't asked a question that has already been answered as I did do a search and found nothing. Thanks.
Wil
CyberBill

Post by CyberBill »

http://www.cplusplus.com/

Thats where I learned C/C++ 5 years ago. :)

Id also recomend picking up a compiler (Visual Studio 6 or better... VisualStudio.NET 2003, or even VisualStudio.NET 2005 which is in beta and FREE right now) and learning on Windows before jumping into PSP programming. Its much faster to compile and run a windows or dos app than a PSP app.
ReKleSS

Post by ReKleSS »

I wouldn't recommend a MS compiler if you're learning towards working with the PSP. Grab a version of gcc (cygwin?) and work with that instead - you *will* be using gcc to compile psp binaries, so I would recommend becoming familiar with it from the start. In theory C code should work equally well on any compiler, but you know how that usually goes...
-ReK
JustChris

Post by JustChris »

As far as compiling for the PSP goes, ReKleSS is right. gcc would be the choice for compiling, particularly if it's with the Cygwin environment. With this said, your editor for PSP apps is your choice, since you won't be using it to compile and set up projects, just to write code. I use Dev C++ for coding, since that's what I've been comfortable with when making programs for PC.
Mr.Modem

Post by Mr.Modem »

http://www.cprogramming.com/ is and excellent site for c++ and c coding. Their forum is great. Devcpp is very good if you want to play around with c.
dot_blank

Post by dot_blank »

i wouldnt recommend any other
programming physical book for C than
o'reillys excellent practical C programming
3rd edition ....as far as learning C is
concerned

it has excellent coverage and well paced
coherent chapters that should get you programming
in no time

i highly recommend you learn also
about embedded systems as ...the psp
is one :P

you can find o'reillys book at this link for purchase
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

also the best place to learn about psp programming
is of course in the PSPSDK sources ;)
these guys have done a unprecedented excellent
job with the tools and info you need to get your
own code to run on psp ....so get to know your sdk
properly and read all headers that you will be using
they come with excellent comments to further
let you understand the functions and structures
that they contain

and lastly good luck in your studies
the best advice is to read ....that is all you need ;)
10011011 00101010 11010111 10001001 10111010