Serial port (remote) access user or kernel mode?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

27Bstroke6

Serial port (remote) access user or kernel mode?

Post by 27Bstroke6 »

The subject pretty much says it all. Is it possible to access the serial (remote control) I/O from a user mode program (e.g. firmware 2.0) or only from a kernel mode program (such as those running in 1.5 and below).

Thanks.
Shine

Re: Serial port (remote) access user or kernel mode?

Post by Shine »

27Bstroke6 wrote:The subject pretty much says it all. Is it possible to access the serial (remote control) I/O from a user mode program (e.g. firmware 2.0) or only from a kernel mode program (such as those running in 1.5 and below).
You need a kernel mode program to install the driver (see Lua Player for an example), but the rest of the program can run in a user mode thread. This means currently it doesn't work with firmware 2.00.
Fanjita

Post by Fanjita »

Actually you might like to try running a serial-port sample on the v2.0 wi-fi demo loader. I have a feeling that the serial-port drivers are loaded by the VSH process, in which case the loader should just make them available.

If you try running a serial app, and it doesn't complain about any unrecognised NIDs, then it should just work on 2.0.
Got a v2.0-v2.80 firmware PSP? Download the eLoader here to run homebrew on it!
The PSP Homebrew Database needs you!
Shine

Post by Shine »

Fanjita wrote:Actually you might like to try running a serial-port sample on the v2.0 wi-fi demo loader. I have a feeling that the serial-port drivers are loaded by the VSH process, in which case the loader should just make them available.
I don't think that this works, because at least Lua Player registers its own device driver :-)
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

You cannot access the SIO for reading/writing characters from user mode at all, although you can access the rm driver, but I am guessing that isn't what you want to do.
Fanjita

Post by Fanjita »

Ah of course, that makes sense. It's a shame though :(
Got a v2.0-v2.80 firmware PSP? Download the eLoader here to run homebrew on it!
The PSP Homebrew Database needs you!