rRootage for PSP v1.5

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

ector wrote:Wouldn't it be better to politely ask Fanjita if he could add a fix to the loader? :)
It would be if it were something that he could easily fix. I've already discussed this with Fanjita and he's mentioned a way to detect the EBOOT loader. The way I'm fixing it is more reliable and straightforward than what he would have to do to fix it.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

rRootage for PSP v1.5: rRootage now works on 2.0 PSPs under EBOOT loader!. Thanks to all of the 2.0 users who helped me track down this issue, including jimparis, dot_blank, Nic, and dem1980.
Seek

Post by Seek »

mrbrown wrote:rRootage for PSP v1.5: rRootage now works on 2.0 PSPs under EBOOT loader!. Thanks to all of the 2.0 users who helped me track down this issue, including jimparis, dot_blank, Nic, and dem1980.
I'm running out of reasons not to upgrade.

I noticed in version 1.4 that there is no difference in the ships movement speed with the laser on or off. Was this a fix to something that was broken in previous versions?

The game looks great, any way to get fullscreen, and have the info show up as an overlay between "levels" and on the pause menu?
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Seek wrote:I noticed in version 1.4 that there is no difference in the ships movement speed with the laser on or off. Was this a fix to something that was broken in previous versions?
There were no changes in v1.4 that would've affected gameplay. Can you better describe what you're seeing (game mode, level, steps to reproduce, etc.)?

The framerate is still an issue when tons of bullets are onscreen, and getting the game drawing faster is next on the TODO list.
Seek wrote:The game looks great, any way to get fullscreen, and have the info show up as an overlay between "levels" and on the pause menu?
Do you mean "tate" mode? That's planned, as well as a normal 4:3 aspect ratio. I can't see the 16:9 mode being stretched any more horizonally, wouldn't that distort things too much?
dem1980

Post by dem1980 »

ca marche !
it works !

thank you for your update for 2.0 users ;-)
Lukasz

Post by Lukasz »

Kudos to mrbrown for releasing a game (even if it is a port), nice to see something else from the old timers besides from tools and libs :-)
Seek

Post by Seek »

mrbrown wrote:There were no changes in v1.4 that would've affected gameplay. Can you better describe what you're seeing (game mode, level, steps to reproduce, etc.)?
It seems the only mode where there is a speed difference is Normal mode. I haven't played the original version of the game so I'm not certain if the other play modes have specifically different speeds for the ship when toggleing laser off and on.
mrbrown wrote:Do you mean "tate" mode? That's planned, as well as a normal 4:3 aspect ratio. I can't see the 16:9 mode being stretched any more horizonally, wouldn't that distort things too much?
tate mode is a little different then what I'm refering to. While stretching the current game to a 16:9 A/R would make for too much distortion, expanding the actual playing field may make for a bit of a different challenge. Enlarging the playing field may be to much for the PSP, but if it were possible, it would make better use of the PSP's screen.

First things first though; the frame rate issue in the higher levels should be addressed. Larger playspace = more 'bullets' on screen at a time = more slow down.

Great work so far !!
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Seek wrote:It seems the only mode where there is a speed difference is Normal mode. I haven't played the original version of the game so I'm not certain if the other play modes have specifically different speeds for the ship when toggleing laser off and on.
The gameplay is no different than the original version. WYSIWYG.
Seek wrote:tate mode is a little different then what I'm refering to. While stretching the current game to a 16:9 A/R would make for too much distortion, expanding the actual playing field may make for a bit of a different challenge. Enlarging the playing field may be to much for the PSP, but if it were possible, it would make better use of the PSP's screen.
The game is already in a 16:9 aspect ratio, and the playfield has already been expanded both vertically and horizontally to accomodate this. Technically, you won't be playing with the same challenges of the original version until I implement the 4:3 aspect ratio. IOW, having the game in 16:9 makes the game easier than it should be.
Seek wrote:First things first though; the frame rate issue in the higher levels should be addressed. Larger playspace = more 'bullets' on screen at a time = more slow down.
The number of bullets are fixed, even in the random levels. The size of the playfield has no affect on the framerate.
Seek

Post by Seek »

mrbrown wrote:The gameplay is no different than the original version. WYSIWYG
Played the original for a bit, the speed in different modes is the same as your port.
mrbrown wrote:The game is already in a 16:9 aspect ratio, and the playfield has already been expanded both vertically and horizontally to accomodate this. Technically, you won't be playing with the same challenges of the original version until I implement the 4:3 aspect ratio. IOW, having the game in 16:9 makes the game easier than it should be.

The number of bullets are fixed, even in the random levels. The size of the playfield has no affect on the framerate.
A 16:9 aspect ratio on the playing field would make the game much easier; especially if the number of bullets is fixed. If the number of bullets on screen somehow grew with the size of the playing field though, I think it'd make for an interesting challenge, though it would be departing from the original games structure.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

After doing some thinking and talking with the fellas on #pspdev I've decided to drop 16:9 as a playfield hack and implement 4:3. The display and playfield are now exactly the same as the original game. It was a mistake for me to ever hack up the playfield in the first place.

I may at some point add an option to switch to 16:9 stretched for people who want to play that way. But it won't be like the original hack, instead the screen will just be stretched horizontally.

The best option for people wanting most of the screen will be tate mode, the details of which are still being worked out.
MrMr[iCE]

Seems Wired News likes the psp port of rRootage as well!

Post by MrMr[iCE] »

Seems Wired News likes the psp port of rRootage as well!

http://blog.wired.com/games/
lookitsrobss

Post by lookitsrobss »

Im on 2.0 and I did everything the tutorial said but when i run it says its corrupted
can anyone help
heres what I get