Booting ELFs in Kernel mode?

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Jabberwocky

Booting ELFs in Kernel mode?

Post by Jabberwocky »

What more do you have to do to get an ELF to boot in kernel mode over changing the module attributes to 0x1000?

If you simply change the attributes of an elf which works perfectly with 0x0000 to 0x1000 you get an 0x80020001 error. Please dont say "just compile with the latest PSPSDK" as I'm interested in what enables the ELF to load rather than getting code running. I've learnt a fair bit about PRX's and kernel mode today, so I'm now onto ELF's now...

Thanks.
Last edited by Jabberwocky on Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

The ELFs you refer to are equivalent to PRXs relocated to a fixed address.
Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky »

Hmmm... I've been poking around in some ELF's and the top bit of byte 0x43 seems to be set when in kernel mode, along with the 0x1000 attributes. If I set this bit along with the 0x1000 attributes on a normal elf I get the previously mentioned error. Any ideas what this bit is doing?

*EDIT* Right, think I've answered my own question. It's the iPaddr entry of the elf header, which is, I guess, is where it loads or executes or something, hence the top bit set for kernel mode.

Still not sure why setting this bit and the attributes to 0x1000 isn't enough to get it running, though? I seem to be getting 0x800200d9 / SCE_KERNEL_ERROR_MEMBLOCK_ALLOC_FAILED now...