PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jimparis

Post by jimparis »

jonny wrote:it seems something related to mencoder (VirtualDub+XviD never write frames with no data, while mencoder seems to do this!)
See the following mencoder options:

Code: Select all

-noencodedups
  Do not attempt to encode duplicate frames in duplicate; always output zero-byte
  frames to indicate duplicates.  Zero-byte frames will be written anyway unless
  a filter or encoder capable of doing duplicate encoding is loaded.
  Currently the only such filter is harddup.

-vf harddup
  Only useful with MEncoder.  If harddup is used when encoding, it will force
  duplicate frames to be encoded in the output.  This uses slightly more space,
  but is necessary for output to MPEG files or if you plan to demux and remux
  the video stream after encoding.  Should be placed at or near the end of the
  filter chain unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.
JimmyZ

Post by JimmyZ »

to jimparis:
great! that's the point, i re-encoded the file, it works ok now :D
jonny

Post by jonny »

@JimmyZ:

what VDubMod version have you used?

dwScale: 20833333
dwRate: 500000000

basically dwRate/dwScale gives you the fps.
i know about vdubmod putting big values on those (to give more precision), but not so big :)
i check for dwScale to not surpass 0xffffff (16777215) in order to don't get overflow in successive timestamps calculations, i guess i have to reduce both instead of popping the error (i wasn't expecting to see this error :)

@jimparis:
thanks for the infos, i'm checking

EDIT: JimmyZ was faster :)
JimmyZ

Post by JimmyZ »

i'm now updating those file with a -vf harddup enabled one, &thanks jimparis again:D

and finally i got the file plays:D
http://jimmyz.3322.org/matrix_2_trailer.pmp

to jonny:
i'm using vdubmod 1.5.10.2 build 2540

thank you all for such a precious program~
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

I am getting an "Status: [Sync lost]" when pmp muxer starts proccessing the audio.

I've converted the audio with BeSweet+BeLight in the same way that in the EdwardFMA guide (i've done 2 times to ensure that it was not a mistake of mine).

Also, the video file is correctly encoded with virtualdubmod+xvid.
jonny

Post by jonny »

are you using BeSweet v1.5b31?
JimmyZ

an updated version of that batch file, two-pass encoding

Post by JimmyZ »

an updated version of that batch file, two-pass encoding:

mencoder "%1" -passlogfile "%2_PMP_2pass.log" -quiet -priority idle -nosound -vf harddup,scale=480:272 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1:vhq=4 -o nul
mencoder "%1" -passlogfile "%2_PMP_2pass.log" -quiet -priority idle -nosound -vf harddup,scale=480:272 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2:vhq=4:bitrate=640 -o "%2_PMP.avi"
del "%2_PMP_2pass.log"
mplayer "%1" -quiet -priority idle -novideo -af resample=44100:0:2 -ao pcm:file="%2_PMP.wav"
lame "%2_PMP.wav" -o "%2_PMP.mp3" -b 128
del "%2_PMP.wav"
pmp_muxer "%2_PMP.avi" "%2_PMP.mp3" "%2.pmp"
del "%2_PMP.avi"
del "%2_PMP.mp3"
Last edited by JimmyZ on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

jonny wrote:are you using BeSweet v1.5b31?
I was using version 1.4. I'll try that version now.
jonny

Post by jonny »

1.4 gives the troubles, i'm quite sure about this

@JimmyZ: your way is quite compact! - really like it (maybe cos i'm a programmer too :)
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

jonny wrote:1.4 gives the troubles, i'm quite sure about this
Yes, you were right. Now, it works, thanks :D

Wow, i'm seing it now in the psp. It's incredible quality. The image is so high quality like the umd's.
Last edited by moonlight on Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

@Jonny

Hey, I can´t believe what you did.

Sony created a new media : UMD
You kicked Sony and created a new media file format: PMP

No joke, you are a hero !!! PMP files will be standard for any PSP videos soon. This is amazing. You can be proud !

I´m encoding for hours now trying different settings with DivX and XVid. For crystal clear pictures use advanced resizing methods. Had some problems with BeLight, using GoldWave instead - works great and easy.

Just one more thing. UMD videos don´t daub at all, any other media does. There must be a simple trick for that, maybe special encoding settings work ? How do you explain this ?

Jonny, I´m really happy about your work, never had been so happy about any homebrew since PSP is out. Just danced today because of your player release !!!
JimmyZ

Post by JimmyZ »

i'll try do it within 3gp_convertor by fully rewrote the .ini script file later, that will give us batch process facility, huh:)

um i'm holy sleepy now = =
jonny

Post by jonny »

thanks to wracks! i've found why this error popup:

"pmp_decode_open: audio_output_lenght != 4608"

this happen when audio is mono (mono audio is not supported).
i'll probably add this check directly in the muxer

going to sleep too now O_o :)
Theelise

Post by Theelise »

ok, yes what i said was not perfectly clear but i was just curious if there is an easier way to complete the process.

personally i have no problem (sys-admin) and understand what i am doing.
However a friend has been on the phone all night asking for instructions on how to create the compat media files and i must say, a new support burdon has now come into effect. Trying to explain this to a complete and utter pc virgin, over the telephone is proving very difficult. (USERS)

What i mean is.... can we not find a way to allow an already exsisting .avi file to be converted to the correct resolution at the highest quality using "insert program here", then once said process has complete, moves onto the sound extraction using "insert said program here" then all the USERS need to do is to run the custom muxer and all is solved. Therefore less late night calls asking me for help. ;-)

It was merley a question and i presumed it was understandable enough, my appologies for it not being clear, but it would seem i would be better of figuring this out for my self and creating a script to launch the programs in question in 1 complete stage or 2 or 3 seperate stages (drag and drop to "script1" for .avi resize, "script2" for sound extraction etc etc etc.... I was just looking for additional pointers of what people recommend in terms of apps/codec settings/default settingsetc etc etc etc..

Since there are freeware tools available that run without the need for installation this would be easy enough to package and run. #

I'll look into it my self and see if i can make the process easier for unskilled pc and/or psp users, less hoops to jump through is what most users want, and alread i have had friends calling about how to do it and they are still unable to follow basic instructions, so are still using pspvideo9 and 3gp as it is easier for them.

Personally i want them to use PMP Mod as the picture and sound quality is superior and by supporting this product (and other homebrew) will benefit us (psp users/developers/whatever) dearly in the future.

Night
argandona

Post by argandona »

I think this thread should be for bug reports/feedback, someone could make another about ripping, configs and bitrates, just to keep things clean.

And Jonny, amazing work! Coders like you are the ones that keep the scene alive. Remember, if you want graphics, just PM me and I'll throw all my work in the trash and get right on it.
EdwardFMA

Post by EdwardFMA »

Ok i updated the tutorial and i will have the HTML file to you tomorrow i have school tomorrow T_T

Edit: nevermind decided to make it anyways lol here you go

Download HTML Version of PMP Mod Walkthrough
Last edited by EdwardFMA on Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EdwardFMA/IchigoKurosaki - PSP Expert
Athlon 64 - Socket 939 - 3000+
1GB 333 DDR-Ram
Geforce 6600 GT PCI-Express

Orbis PSP Development
Open-Source Development
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

@jonny

Just one more thing. Something strange is happening to the sound when muxing. It gets a little bit noisy with a background trembling in a high frequency (as if an amplifier is set to high with a calm sound).

Also I spent several hours to be sure, there are crackles from time to time.
(It makes "click", more or less loud in sporadic gaps). Long time I thought it could be a cpu power issue, but it is definetely not. MP3 is absolutely perfect before pmp is generated - not any noises at all. It occurs with any bitrate and encoder settings, no matter if XVid or DivX. Also it has nothing to do with energy settings or UMD - spinnig. Also it can not be my PSP, mp3 files plays flawlessly from beginning to end. Headphones are in best condition, also tried other ones, same thing.

I know, this is not a serious issue. If you set volume just a little bit lower none of the described noises can be heard if you do not concentrate on it. But I feel that you could make your player or muxer even better by solving this. Maybe you could take a look at it ??? I would really like it if you could at least identify it and maybe solve it up ?

One more thing, DivX performs better than XVid here. Or am I doing anything wrong in the settings ? Also let me say it seems to me as if psychivisual enhancements have an effect on daubbing. Maybe you could confirm this ?

Anything else working very fine and stable here. The player looks absolutely polished, simple and all I want a movie player to do.
artik

Post by artik »

EdwardFMA wrote:Ok i updated the tutorial and i will have the HTML file to you tomorrow i have school tomorrow T_T
@jonny, Eingang, ...

After many many tests, it seems when i select in virtual dub :

Profile @ Level : Home theatre PAL
Encoding type : single pass
Target quantizer : 3.00

I got a better quality and lower file size.

Here are my tests (pliz don't listen the audio, i put a trance track for my tests :S) :

sample benjamin gates HOME THEATER PAL 3.0 - 1 PASS.pmp : 7.45 mo
sample benjamin gates UNRESTRICTED 3.0 - 1 PASS.pmp : 8.82 mo

links :

http://rapidshare.de/files/10357572/ben ... S.pmp.html
http://rapidshare.de/files/10357644/ben ... S.pmp.html

Of course, maybe someone could help me to get same quality / lower size. and finally : congrat' once again, jonny.
xbox360

Post by xbox360 »

jimparis wrote:
jonny wrote:it seems something related to mencoder (VirtualDub+XviD never write frames with no data, while mencoder seems to do this!)
See the following mencoder options:

Code: Select all

-noencodedups
  Do not attempt to encode duplicate frames in duplicate; always output zero-byte
  frames to indicate duplicates.  Zero-byte frames will be written anyway unless
  a filter or encoder capable of doing duplicate encoding is loaded.
  Currently the only such filter is harddup.

-vf harddup
  Only useful with MEncoder.  If harddup is used when encoding, it will force
  duplicate frames to be encoded in the output.  This uses slightly more space,
  but is necessary for output to MPEG files or if you plan to demux and remux
  the video stream after encoding.  Should be placed at or near the end of the
  filter chain unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.
awesome :)guy ,and how do u know this method?hah ,u must learn lots of stuff from doom9,right??:)and thx indeed
nudd

Post by nudd »

Hi, I tried transcoding an mpeg file using mencoder on 1 pass mode, and managed to mux the file, however, when I tried to play it on the psp, it says error because first frame is not a keyframe.

Any help on this? Is there any way to force the first frame to be a keyframe?
weav2k4

Re: an updated version of that batch file, two-pass encoding

Post by weav2k4 »

JimmyZ wrote:an updated version of that batch file, two-pass encoding:

mplayer "%1" -quiet -priority idle -novideo -af resample=44100:0:2 -ao pcm:file="%2_PMP.wav"

Tonight was the first time I ever tried mencoder/mplayer to encode something and have a question. If I try to use the above like JimmyZ shows then it simply fails on creating a wav file at all. If I remove the '-novideo' flag from the above then it will create the wav fine. What am I doing wrong that I actually have to display the video of my avi file I'm trying to recode to get mplayer to dump the wav?

Jonny - EXCELLENT JOB! I now can stay at 1.50 and have excellent movie playback at full res! Many thanks and keep up the great work on PMP Mod.
leavinel

Post by leavinel »

Hello everyone,

Thanks for jonny's contribution to such a wonderful video player!
I wrote a transcoding configuration file for 3GP Converter, so it might make video conversion easier, only a drap & drop.
I expect you guys had used 3GP Converter, so I won't make effort on explaining how to use it.

1. First get a copy of 3GP Converter (lastest v0.34).
2. copy jonny's pmp_muxer.exe into "3GP_Converter\cores\".
3. Download this transcoding file http://rapidshare.de/files/10363653/Tra ... 1.ini.html and then place it into "3GP_Converter\default_setting\"
4. Run setup.exe. Choose "Model: PMP, for jonny's PMP mod v1.00"
5. Run 3GP_Converter.exe, drag&drop, and then wait for the transcoded .pmp file.

This configuration file is based on this settings:
video: XviD 24fps, 360x272 or 480x272 resolution
audio: MP3 ch2 44kHz 128kbps CBR
You can modify it for your purpose.

VirtualDub is very powerful. But compared to 3GP Converter, I think the latter will be better to do such jobs. Their performances are about the same.

Again, thanks jonny!
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

leavinel wrote:Hello everyone,

I wrote a transcoding configuration file for 3GP Converter, so it might make video conversion easier, only a drap & drop.
I expect you guys had used 3GP Converter, so I won't make effort on explaining how to use it.

2. copy jonny's pmp_muxer.exe into "3GP_Converter\cores".
3. Download this transcoding file http://rapidshare.de/files/10363653/Tra ... 1.ini.html and then place it into "3GP_Converter\default_setting"
5. Run 3GP_Converter.exe, drag&drop, and then wait for the transcoded .pmp file.

VirtualDub is very powerful. But compared to 3GP Converter, I think the latter will be better to do such jobs. Their performances are about the same.

Again, thanks jonny!
it is possible to upload at http://www.yousendit.com/

I cant download from rapidshare.de
csuper

Why 44Khz... ?

Post by csuper »

Hye Johnny, I manage to resolve my problems using the right Xvid profile so don't bother my message...

May I ask... I wonder why you have implemented 44,1 Khz ? and not 48 Khz... ? What is the difference in terms of programming and the difficulties related.. ?

And... what is the main difficulties in implementing VBR instead of CBR ?

... csuper .... just asking to know more... ;)
csuper

To leavinel...

Post by csuper »

Leavinel... if it possible... do you know ifit is possible for 3GP to add SRT subtitle to the video stream (hardsub) ... ?

Thanx anyway.

csuper.
arex

Post by arex »

i think i found the best way to convert a video to PMP

use mencoder! it's the fastest....

edit a bat file like this (this *.bat should put in the folder which mencoder in,and put the "psp_muxer" to this foder together...

then....

mencoder.exe -srate 44100 -oac mp3lame -lameopts aq=6:mode=0:cbr:br=128 -ovc copy -of rawaudio "input path" -o "1.mp3"2> 2.txt
mencoder.exe -sws 9 -nosound -vf scale=480:272,harddup -ovc lavc -ffourcc DIVX -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=600:vhq:turbo:vpass=1 -nosound "input path" -o NUL: 2> 2.txt
mencoder.exe -sws 9 -nosound -vf scale=480:272,harddup -ovc lavc -ffourcc DIVX -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=800:vhq:turbo:vpass=2 "input path" -o "1.avi" 2>> 2.txt
pmp_muxer "1.avi" "1.mp3" "output path"
del 1.avi
del 1.mp3

with this way i converted a AVI file 25 minutes Xvid 1200k 256Kmp3 to PMP 480*272 800k divx 128k mp3.. it costs only 9 minutes !!

if don't use 2 pass, it can be faster! maybe 6-7 minutes.

if someone coule make a GUI for this method, PMP will be prefect !!

now We can say goodbye to MP4....( in 1.50..)
Last edited by arex on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
leavinel

Re: To leavinel...

Post by leavinel »

miemt11 wrote: it is possible to upload at http://www.yousendit.com/

Sorry I don't know how to use it.
csuper wrote:Leavinel... if it possible... do you know ifit is possible for 3GP to add SRT subtitle to the video stream (hardsub) ... ?

Thanx anyway.

csuper.
You can write an AVS script with a subtitle added. 3GP can handle AVS file.
If you want to do a batch conversion, you can make use of AVS skelton. Please refer to 3GP_Converter.ini & cores\AVS_Skelton.avs in 3GP directory.
artik

Post by artik »

miemt11 wrote: it is possible to upload at http://www.yousendit.com/

http://www.iceberg-production.com/Trans ... mod_v1.ini
EdwardFMA

Post by EdwardFMA »

leavinel wrote:Hello everyone,

2. copy jonny's pmp_muxer.exe into "3GP_Converter\cores".
3. Download this transcoding file http://rapidshare.de/files/10363653/Tra ... 1.ini.html and then place it into "3GP_Converter\default_setting"

Again, thanks jonny!
Well I just tried your way and it converted perfectly, but it's twice the size and i don't get the options to adjust your resizeing settings to make it look nice.... There is also no quality differents between your way and my way, but somehow it comes out to be twice the size....

Non-Transcoded: 170MB for Bleach Episode 62

Your way: 170MB for Bleach Episode 62
My way: 80MB for Bleach Episode 62
EdwardFMA/IchigoKurosaki - PSP Expert
Athlon 64 - Socket 939 - 3000+
1GB 333 DDR-Ram
Geforce 6600 GT PCI-Express

Orbis PSP Development
Open-Source Development
artik

Post by artik »

@leavinel :

Exellent job dude. But one question, does the aspect ratio is keeped ? or the video is resized in 480 x 272 ? (sorry, can't test, no more battery in my psp :S)

2nd : if aspect ratio is not keeped, a way to set this setting in 3GP ?