Help with getting ps2menu working with AR MAX.

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

zaphod

Help with getting ps2menu working with AR MAX.

Post by zaphod »

I've burned a CD with it on it in Max Media Creator (named autoexec.elf) and it doesn't seem to want to cooperate. Any tips from someone here who's done it sucessfully? either i'm missing something, or I'm having media issues, but I dont' know hwo to tell which.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

well, i've figured out a bit more...

ps2menu just does NOT seem to work. the following programs do seem to work.

1) pgen (codejunkies version)
2) mcloader

presumably, snes-station will work too, but it doesn't have very advanced fiels access.

ps2menu just black screens every time. I need either a .max file with the exploit (using SotN as boot disc) or a .elf file that can copy fiels to the memcard that boots in Max Media Player.
pixel

Post by pixel »

I have looked a bit over that issue that I experienced myself. Well, there's a quick and easy answer: their loader is quite buggy. For two reasons:

-) They have a loader that loads the elf from an UMCDR CD, but their code resides at a low address. You should try for example ps2link in highload mode. Or try to pack ps2menu using stubs located at a high value.
-) They have a crappy loader that loads the elf out of a USB stick. This one is quite hopeless. SjCrunch will generate valid binaries for it though, but not ps2-packer.

So that's maybe a solution: first sjcrunch your software. That should help indirectly.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

well guess I need to grab toolchain. I tried the ps2packer stubs, and they don't seem to want to work.

i guess it's time for me to sjcrunch.
pixel

Post by pixel »

I just tried. No good either.

Well, their loader is quite buggy it seems. Someone shall dig about it a bit more.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

well i sjcrunched it, and it then started to load, but it seems to have hung after loading ps2netfs.if

is that because I don't have the broadbadn adapter in?

Grr. all I want to do is get ps2menu running from memcard without voiding my warrantly by dissassembling my ps2. is that so wrong? ;)
Chocoboboy

Post by Chocoboboy »

I have tried the Ps2menu,It just work fine on my ps2.
I have a net adapter.

By the way, what is "sjcrunch" mean?
taz030485

Post by taz030485 »

I cannot get PS2Menu to load from the MAX either.

I was wandering do I HAVE 2 have a net adapter and hdd for PS2Menu to run because I don't have either.

Also what is the best way to copy ELF's onto the memory card.

Note: I do not have a Mod chip.
pixel

Post by pixel »

The ar max evo loader is a bit crap. Compress your binary first. Thus, it will render the loading possible, due to the loading address changes. I successfully loaded ps2menu and ps2link from ar max evo using ps2-packer.
taz030485

Post by taz030485 »

I'm kind of new to homebrew and I don't know how to pack and unpack things.

Can you tell me what files I need and how to do it or where to find a tutorial.

Thanx