PSP USB Facts.

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

romero126

PSP USB Facts.

Post by romero126 »

The PSP uses a system called USB To Go which allows for the ability to use hardware without drivers on the system which means, the device when connected to it sends its information to the PSP which in return the PSP sends a connection transmission.

The system USB-To-Go allows for foreign objects to incorperate itself with the non computer devices.

The reason why it uses USB-To-Go is because it allows for certain digital camera's to connect to it via the USB connection (It has been confirmed).

In short an obvious position would be learning how USB-To-Go work's by mimicing some connection based information from devices that work through the USB connection.
sandberg

Post by sandberg »

You can find most information needed from the link below.

http://www.usb.org/developers/onthego/
Br, Sandberg
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

romero126: Do you have anything to back these assertions, where has it been confirmed?
I was under the impression that "USB on the go" (i assume thats what you mean, cant find any reference to 'usb to go') has been ruled out. Otherwise why are the external power pins required if the protocol allows power to be negotiated and supplied over the cable?
Damn, I need a decent signature!
romero126

Post by romero126 »

Considering that the Microcontroller for the USB device is connected to the CPU creates the possibility that the Infrastructure is dynamic and based upon the firmware. The fact is that the leads to the USB connector on the PSP itself is still connected to a voltage based system (IE power to the object) The fact that it doesnt supply that voltage out can create two assumptions. 1, it uses a propriatary based driver system which has yet to be implimented or 2, it uses a syn/ack system used for devices.

With certain programs IE: Talkman it uses a USB based microphone to check pronounciation with the user.

Which of course creates another question. Why would the microphone on talkman work when there is currently no voltage going through it?

If you look at the concept work from Sony during last years E3 it had concept work of usb based devices such as a Keyboard, GPS device, Digital Cameras. Why would they create such a system with such a concept when there was no built in hardware contributing to such concepts?

If you look at your pictures folder you will notice that there is a Digital Camera Images folder already setup inside the system. Which can create one assumption that the system is already implimented for the USB based connection for certain types of Digital Cameras.

Here are some Refrences:
http://www.engadget.com/2004/05/17/live ... -psp-pics/
http://www.joystiq.com/2005/08/25/psixs ... or-the-psp
http://www.pspbrew.com/wiki/index.php/USB_Connectivity
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=10752
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

Why would the microphone on talkman work when there is currently no voltage going through it?
It was found http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4145 that there is indeed voltage across the two side pins so long a a cable is attatched. Game manuals describe them as "DC out". So i presume thats how talkman and others work.

And in http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... ht=usb+hid someone says the psp presents it's self as various hids. A sony prepherial being powered by said DC out pins, could recognise one of them as 'psp prepared to act as host', respond to that via some custom protocol and from there on in have their roles reversed.

I looked at your links. I saw a picture of a psp-eyetoy type thing, that no doubt uses the same interface as talkman -> nothing conclusive.
I saw a wikki stating
It should be possible to connect the PSP to a digital camera and copy files between them using the USB2GO technology
Again, I am not filled with confidence.

And finally I saw the PSIX project. Which turns out to be custom SW on the phone that constantly writes images to it's MS, which is then constantly read and displayed by the psp.
Currently working on direct CCD driver interface for plugging generic usb camera's directly into the usb data socket on the psp itself
Although, when all is said and done, we aren't certain for sure on much of this stuff, and it is a bit too early claiming anything other that observable occuremces as facts.
Damn, I need a decent signature!
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

The guy in that Breakpoint talk said that the PSP can only be a USB peripheral and that devices like a USB keyboard would need to contain host controllers. Hasn't this already been beaten to death by now?
romero126

Post by romero126 »

I was actually working towards that statement, that USB keyboards need to compatible with the USB on the GO protocol which requires a micro controller to broadcast its drivers to the device.

I also believe we should focus more on USB based devices as a source for input instead of useing an IRDA based input. In order to progress in the PSP hardware hacking we must first create some sort of USB on the Go programmable device. So we can interject any perpherial we want into the PSP. (End of rant)
jimparis

Post by jimparis »

It doesn't have to be OTG. Any host controller like the Cypress SL811HS would be fine, as would your PC. Regardless, the hard part isn't the host side, it's that we still know nothing about how to use USB on the PSP side.
romero126

Post by romero126 »

Nobody has spent time to reverse engeneer the current products out on the USB for PSP.
Everyone focus's on how to port a keyboard to the PSP via IRDA which is an ass backwards way to run a keyboard controller unless you flip the immage. Or working on the serial port.
Dr. Vegetable

Post by Dr. Vegetable »

IR PDA keyboards are a natural fit for this application. They are compact, low power, and can be inexpensive, especially since no custom cabling is required. I've seen at least three different IR keyboards working with the PSP, and zero projects that have gotten a keyboard working via USB. So please don't try to discourage people from refining this IR keyboard support.

People are also studying the PSP's USB functionality, but there is not too much to go by with virtually no peripherals available. I encourage you to help this effort however you are able.

What is not helpful is when people make assertions that are not supported by any facts. There is too much mis-information and speculation floating around as it is. Digging through statements like the one at the top of this thread cost mental energy that I'd rather direct elsewhere.
romero126

Post by romero126 »

romero126 wrote:Nobody has spent time to reverse engeneer the current products out on the USB for PSP.
Lets pretend I did not make this statement, and repeat yourself one more time.
Dr. Vegetable wrote: I've seen at least three different IR keyboards working with the PSP, and zero projects that have gotten a keyboard working via USB. So please don't try to discourage people from refining this IR keyboard support.
Lets not spend time dwelling in what you want to hear VS what I stated.
I believe we need to spend more time developing USB based support as well as figuring out a way to force out the USB controller so we can add our own keyboard support to our homebrew.

Refining IRDA isnt a problem since IRDA works on a simple signal interpreting system. Where as with USB and running things, I see far more potential in this case since it was already a concept setup by SONY which could possibly mean that the capability is already there and that we should attempt to break into that.

Please note the USB keyboard that is on Link-Sang's website was a concept project which was ready to be sold and was postponed. Not because the concept fell through, that it didnt work. It probably did. Which gives you the conclusion that if they can create a keyboard that works as a concept/design then we should be able to do the same and tap into the device in similar ways.
Dr. Vegetable

Post by Dr. Vegetable »

romero126 wrote:Please note the USB keyboard that is on Link-Sang's website was a concept project which was ready to be sold and was postponed. Not because the concept fell through, that it didnt work. It probably did. Which gives you the conclusion that if they can create a keyboard that works as a concept/design then we should be able to do the same and tap into the device in similar ways.
This statement is another prime example. You point to the USB keyboard that Lik-Sang promoted, you claim that it was not pulled because it didn't work, and the only evidence you can provide is "it probably did."

I know USB peripherals will eventually be a reality, and we will do cool stuff with it. I've laid my money on the line to buy a Talkman, rip it open, and post details. I've even put some of my time into figuring out how the USB microphone really works. So what have you done to make USB homebrew a reality other than tell others what they should or shouldn't be doing with their own time?
Gizmo

Re: PSP USB Facts.

Post by Gizmo »

The reason why it uses USB-To-Go is because it allows for certain digital camera's to connect to it via the USB connection (It has been confirmed).
If you look at your pictures folder you will notice that there is a Digital Camera Images folder already setup inside the system. Which can create one assumption that the system is already implimented for the USB based connection for certain types of Digital Cameras.
There is currently no camera that can connect to the PSP via USB. The DCIM folder is used if you put a Memory Stick DUO from a digital camera or mobile phone into the PSP. So nothing is confirmed. Please don't mix fact and fiction.

Any further USB research is of course welcome.
BlackPaladin

Post by BlackPaladin »

Man, when I posted a similar thread I had no idea how emotional people can be on this subject.

Can't we all just get along? :) Guys, this is a friendly place, lets play nice.

Until we have the specs anything is possible or impossible depending on your outlook. Keep in mind that any information out of Sony is tainted due to their own corporate goals and perspective just as any individual has a "tainted" opinion. Facts are lacking on ALL sides.

Lets just do what we can to work on USB support and be happy that others care enough to want to help out.
Unix Junkie
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

For Christ's sake BlackPaladin start contributing something useful to these threads or start finding your posts shortened. All of the speculative crap you've posted in other threads has been beaten to death as others have politely pointed out. Either come with some new or useful information about how USB works on the PSP, or go sit down somewhere.
romero126

Post by romero126 »

romero126

Post by romero126 »

psx-frogger

Post by psx-frogger »

Hi all,

do you know what is the enbedded usb chip enclodes into the PSP ?

It will be more easier to find documentation about this chip.
and why not later, be able to write own usb driver !

regards

psp-frogger
anunakin

Post by anunakin »

I have a Zaurus Linux PDA, and this have a USB OTG (On The Go) port.... this port is a USB mini AB port, this accept both USB mini A and mini B, but PSP has a mini B port... what is diff?

B ports are for plug periferals to PCs
A ports are for plug PCs to periferals
AB ports act as a B ports with a B cable and as a A port with a USB OTG cable:

Here some pics of OTG cable this have a mini A male to A female, on PDA Zaurus I can connect many hardware, but needs drivers to use it ....
ImageImage

I mean PSP not have a USB OTG port, or it dont respect IEEE rules, and uses a mini B (fit like) with a mini AB hardware... not a surprize ... this was made by $ony!

More info:

http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/lit ... 009316.pdf
Anunakin