PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

RATiX

Post by RATiX »

Jonny:
FFMPEG did work, but it seems odd that Goldwave/BeSweet encoded files give me errors. I have been encoding them to 44.100 kHz @ 128 kbps (stereo) and I get errors, so low bitrate may not be the problem. I've had problems with two different source files BTW.
fAi_

Post by fAi_ »

Great work Jonny!

hope you guys enjoy the clip

Profile @ Level : Home theatre PAL
Encoding type : single pass
Target quantizer : 3.00
Lame 128CBR

http://rapidshare.de/files/10416099/Kin ... r.pmp.html
beecue

Post by beecue »

hey .. i just converted a tv episode and it worked ... but then i tried a movie ... which is in .vob format ... but virtualdubmod gives me an error when i save .. is there no way to convert dvds? ... cuz i dont wanna convert it to divx/xvid first
arex

Post by arex »

yoshaw wrote:Thanks to Pochi for making these images. I just inserted them images in the eboot.pbp to make the player look classy. That last is my only credit in here! Again much props to Pochi.

Here is how PMP would look like on your PSP LCD if you just replace the PSPMod% folder with the one linked below

http://files.filefront.com/PMPMODrar/;4 ... einfo.html

oh so beautiful! i found it looks like the skin of psp file assistant .

is that skin also your works?
Hulkit

Post by Hulkit »

wow ive been messing around with this encoding different things i couldnt ask for more now that i can play some fullres stuff on my psp

i have only tried little things as i havnt had much time to encode bigger files (bleach for example hehe)

i did an encoding of Rahxephon intro with subtitles included into it cause it was an mkv file i had to split it into audio/video/subtitle very complicated ill tyr and write a guide on how to do it but ive found google/videohelp.com to be very useful

link for my pmp :

http://www10.rapidupload.com/d.php?file ... epath=8681

welp reply what you guys think
So Solid Jedi

Post by So Solid Jedi »

Excellent work Johny, have been following this great program since it started but have never posted on here before, i just had to register and post to say thankyou for all the work you do, amazing job....word's can't describe how happy i am to be able to finally play back video on my PSP at the same sort of resolution as UMD's. You have single handedly restored the wonderful media capabilites of a great handheld, which of course, Sony crippled for there greed.

This is what makes Homebrew so special, i only hope that those with the higher firmware's can get this working so that they can realise the full potential of the media capabilites of the PSP and if nothing else, will stop a few thousand UMD's being sold in the process, don't get me wrong i'm not against UMD's as a medium, it's just the way Sony have handled there propriety disc's ie. not releasing recordable ones, but even more so, the fact no UMD players have been allowed to be released so that our purchased UMD's can be played on our TV's when at home. Anyway, before i get Off Topic, i'll leave it at that and just say Thank You once more.

Regarding_
leavinel wrote:Hello everyone,

Thanks for jonny's contribution to such a wonderful video player!
I wrote a transcoding configuration file for 3GP Converter, so it might make video conversion easier, only a drap & drop.
I expect you guys had used 3GP Converter, so I won't make effort on explaining how to use it.

1. First get a copy of 3GP Converter (lastest v0.34).
2. copy jonny's pmp_muxer.exe into "3GP_Converter\cores".
3. Download this transcoding file http://rapidshare.de/files/10363653/Tra ... 1.ini.html and then place it into "3GP_Converter\default_setting"
4. Run setup.exe. Choose "Model: PMP, for jonny's PMP mod v1.00"
5. Run 3GP_Converter.exe, drag&drop, and then wait for the transcoded .pmp file.

This configuration file is based on this settings:
video: XviD 24fps, 360x272 or 480x272 resolution
audio: MP3 ch2 44kHz 128kbps CBR
You can modify it for your purpose.

VirtualDub is very powerful. But compared to 3GP Converter, I think the latter will be better to do such jobs. Their performances are about the same.

Again, thanks jonny!
I must say a big thankyou to you aswell, as i have found this to be alot easier and quicker for me to use when i have little time. Thank You.
EdwardFMA

Post by EdwardFMA »

arex wrote:
yoshaw wrote:Thanks to Pochi for making these images. I just inserted them images in the eboot.pbp to make the player look classy. That last is my only credit in here! Again much props to Pochi.

Here is how PMP would look like on your PSP LCD if you just replace the PSPMod% folder with the one linked below

http://files.filefront.com/PMPMODrar/;4 ... einfo.html

oh so beautiful! i found it looks like the skin of psp file assistant .

That is neither his or File assistant's it's Pochi's Pochi Style personally i like to use these instead of the default ;)

URL to Pochi's Style
EdwardFMA/IchigoKurosaki - PSP Expert
Athlon 64 - Socket 939 - 3000+
1GB 333 DDR-Ram
Geforce 6600 GT PCI-Express

Orbis PSP Development
Open-Source Development
JimmyZ

Re: an updated version of that batch file, two-pass encoding

Post by JimmyZ »

arex wrote: why not dump and convert to mp3 use mencoder ?

mencoder.exe -srate 44100 -oac mp3lame -lameopts aq=6:mode=0:cbr:br=128 -ovc copy -of rawaudio "*.AVI" -o "*.mp3"

i found it's so convenient..
i tried using -novideo, mencoder refuse it too, so -ovc copy is the key?

update here, using one command to do the audio & xvid 1st pass:)

Command0=""mencoder" "<%InputFile%>" -passlogfile "<%OutputPath%><%Title%>_2pass.log" -quiet -vf harddup,scale=480:272 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1:vhq=4:turbo -af resample=44100:0:2 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -of rawaudio -o "<%OutputPath%><%Title%>_PMP.mp3""
Command1=""mencoder" "<%InputFile%>" -passlogfile "<%OutputPath%><%Title%>_2pass.log" -quiet -vf harddup,scale=480:272 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2:vhq=4:bitrate=640 -nosound -o "<%OutputPath%><%Title%>_PMP.avi""
Command2=""pmp_muxer" "<%OutputPath%><%Title%>_PMP.avi" "<%OutputPath%><%Title%>_PMP.mp3" "<%OutputPath%><%Title%>.pmp""

some cleaning work should be added
Last edited by JimmyZ on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zshadow

Post by zshadow »

Awesome work, this is the best homebrew app yet for the PSP.
itpsp

Post by itpsp »

it works perfectly, no crash, no sound/video not match.

a very awesome homebrew.

thank you for devoting your time and hardwork in this project.

it is excellent.
gcmospeada

Post by gcmospeada »

it is excellent,
the only problem i have is that i cant fast foward the video
so if i have a 1hour video i have to watch it all over again to resume the movie.
arex

Re: an updated version of that batch file, two-pass encoding

Post by arex »

JimmyZ wrote:
arex wrote: why not dump and convert to mp3 use mencoder ?

mencoder.exe -srate 44100 -oac mp3lame -lameopts aq=6:mode=0:cbr:br=128 -ovc copy -of rawaudio "*.AVI" -o "*.mp3"

i found it's so convenient..
i tried using -novideo, mencoder refuse it too, so -ovc copy is the key?
yes, it's correct.

i found this method is the fastest, mencoder!

i made a test use mencoder with my methord (use a .bat file) and 3GP,(with leavinel's ini)

A64 3000+@2330MHz
VIA K8T800pro
1G DDR400
ST 80G SATA
WindowsXP SP2 english version
source&#65306;[FLsnow][DVDRip][Shuffle prologue][jp_cn][XVID+MP3].avi length 8&#65306;21

video: XVID 704x392 23.98fps 983Kbps
audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz 448Kbps

test software&#65306;mencoder with my methord (use a .bat file) and 3GP,(with leavinel's ini)

i convert to DovX/Xvid 896k 128k mp3 like the format in leavinel's ini

there is the result.

Jokum

Post by Jokum »

Great Work !
But I have a little problem with the audio.

I use VirtualDub and XVID (480 x 272, 25frs, 800k)

For Audio I juse BeSweet v1.5b31 and BeLight 0.21, CBR 128 and 192 (like in the Guide)

I can her ~ every 15 Sekunds a little Noise in the Audio.
The Audiofile plays alone as MP3 perfekt on the psp.

Somebody a Idee, how to fix this?
manchestorunited

Post by manchestorunited »

wow this is a great breakthrough in the PSP Scene
Great work Johnny.

I've been encoding vids different ways.

I'm having trouble w/ MEncoder. I don't kno where to get it, and can someone write a tutorial for that?

I've been using Virtual Dub and had some sync problems. So i want to try the MEncoder, and it's faster.

O and how do i get subtitles in my DVD rips?
Last edited by manchestorunited on Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

arex wrote: oh so beautiful! i found it looks like the skin of psp file assistant .

No it isn't. If you had read what I clearly said in my post then you wouldn't had asked. I only added the image files of the icon and background to Jonny's EBOOT.PBP file and that's where it ends. Props to pochi who created both images and all the programmers who chipped in the Media Player progress.
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

therock003 wrote:Is there any quality loss with this method?Increasing to to 600-800% isn't it very loud?

What if instead of dynaic compress (it is crap i aggree)we use the boost option on belight,will there be any problem?

Also jonny,would it be able for you to make a muxer that process batch files.If i have a folder full of files a.avi-a.mp3,b.avi-b.mp3 and so on,to encode them all at once?
As long as your audio source is good you should not encounter any clipping or overblown peaks.

I have also used this method to gain volume on some of my avi's that contained ac3 audio by simply outputting the compression via the ac3 acm decompressor instead of PCM - more or less the same 5 min encode / filesize and have not had any clipping thus far.

I have also tried your suggestion using boost and have not found it to make a compatible mp3 - I keep getting an error message after encoding with the muxer saying its not 44100khz???? - even though I know it is! - and the file will not play in pmp as the audio header is knacked????

Can anyone shed any light on using belight/sweet boost???

All the best

J.
xxxstarmanxxx

Mencoder and GUI for windows

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

If anyone is struggling with mencoder settings via the command line there is a GUI frontend which I haven't tried yet:

MeWIG:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mewi ... p?download

Mplayer/Mencoder for windows:

http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releas ... 050928.zip

Hope that helps anyone.

All the best

(Sorry for double post mods - I had not realised I had left this thread)

J.
manchestorunited

Post by manchestorunited »

i've been having trouble w/ the mencoder w/ running the batch file.
The thing is, i can't run a batch file, it just opens as a notepad.
This thing is really annoying me.
csuper

Post by csuper »

Jokum wrote:Great Work !
But I have a little problem with the audio.

I use VirtualDub and XVID (480 x 272, 25frs, 800k)

For Audio I juse BeSweet v1.5b31 and BeLight 0.21, CBR 128 and 192 (like in the Guide)

I can her ~ every 15 Sekunds a little Noise in the Audio.
The Audiofile plays alone as MP3 perfekt on the psp.

Somebody a Idee, how to fix this?
Hye All & Jonny,

I suffer the same problem on my files (I use the same tools than Jokum, hum...) there is on every videos some noise on the audio of the video (5~10 minutes after the start of the video, some times later) during 10/15 secondes... That's annoying but not umbearable...

Anyone have an idea where this issue come from ?

Anyway, I will test "mencoder" on one of the file where I have this issue and compare... I keep u inform.

For information:
Xvid profile AS@5 -> 1000 kbps
MP3 CBR 112 or 128 kbps.

Last Question :
Is it important (compatibility rendering issue with the container) if the sum of the audio/video kbps is different to a number compatible with 512 (vid 384+ aud 128), 768, 1024.... ? (anyway i will test also that this evening and see what happens)

csuper (means = itsgreat ! for the not french speaking of this thread ;)
dbl

Post by dbl »

Hi jonny,

Can you clarify what exactly causes the audio to stutter occasionally? I'm finding it quite hard to make videos that reliably do not do this.

Is it caused by complex sections of video or is it caused by sudden high-bitrates? I wonder because it's easy enough to stop the bitrate going too high during the encoding process, but difficult (impossible?) to deal with complex sections.

Do you think it's feasible to get around this problem by further optimising later versions of PMP mod? Or is the PSP just not up to it?

Thanks again - cracking work!

<dbl>
jonny

Post by jonny »

@AZImmortal:
so is there a reason why a custom container has to be used?
sure

1 - speed of development
2 - marginal speed increase (more optimizations will easly be implemented the future, like audio in the me - and this thanks to the way i read packets now)
3 - stability, easy seeking and easy av/sync <--- this can be a real nightmare and it's the main reason (i've personally found this being difficult with the current libavformat, don't understimate this, it's more complex, compared to general optimizations code)

@gcmospeada:
he only problem i have is that i cant fast foward the video
why?
it could take some time to reach the position (atm ff is implemented in a really basic way - i know this), but works

@csuper:
I suffer the same problem on my files (I use the same tools than Jokum, hum...) there is on every videos some noise on the audio of the video (5~10 minutes after the start of the video, some times later) during 10/15 secondes... That's annoying but not umbearable...
probably happens in complex scenes, try to encode video with a really low bitrate and keep the same audio to verify this please.
i'll upload an heavy clip that show the effect of a too high bitrate, so we can see if we are talking about the same thing.
Is it important (compatibility rendering issue with the container) if the sum of the audio/video kbps is different to a number compatible with 512 (vid 384+ aud 128), 768, 1024.... ?
video bitrate is totally free

@dbl:
Can you clarify what exactly causes the audio to stutter occasionally?
psp doesn't have the power to decode the section in real time
Is it caused by complex sections of video or is it caused by sudden high-bitrates?
usually complex sections =~ high-bitrates
limiting the bitrate will sure deal with this, but it's not easy to give exact numbers, expecially with vbr
pmp av buffering deal a bit with this (i'm using a 14MB buffer, ~ 25 frames can be buffered), but long/heavy sections can't be handled

you could test making 1 pass cbr encodes, progressively raising the bitrate a bit until you start noticing stuttering
this test could be useful to everyone
Do you think it's feasible to get around this problem by further optimising later versions of PMP mod?
other optimizations are teorically possible, i have few ideas, but i can't give exact numbers until i try :)

finally, many thanks to LaMa and Pochi/yoshaw
Sorted

Post by Sorted »

Hey all

I am desperate to try this out , but QJ.NET does not let me download the muxer v.100 . i have tried explorer and firefox no joy!

i dl it on my phone and transferred it to pc but it says the rar is corrupt!

is there anywhere else i can get this prog.
BlackPaladin

MacOSX Howto

Post by BlackPaladin »

BlackPaladin's simple PMP Mod encoding instructions for those using MacOSX

The easiest thing is to download a precompiled mencoder and user JimmyZ's mencoder command lines modified for *nix shells. If you are scared of the command line or just want to do it in GUI, there is a nice tool called D-Vision from http://www.objectifmac.com/ which will do everything you need except mux the final files. Don't waste your time with FFMpegX or Handbrake which don't do this easily. D-Vision is a _really_ nice front end to mencoder for OSX. It supports batch encoding and job scheduling which is really nice. D-Vision will also join multiple VOBs if you need to do that for use in another encoder.
  • 1. Download the source to PMP Mod muxer from Jonny's site. This contains the perl scripts which Jonny' built into an executable for Win32. Since OSX won't run that, you just need the perl scripts from the source.

2. Extract the source and grap pmp_muxer.pl and put it directly in your home directory

3. Download and extract D-Vision from http://www.objectifmac.com/. The site is in French, the program is localized in English.

4. Download MacTheRipper and use that if you are going to be encoding a DVD, as you will need that to break the CSS encryption on the DVD. Use it to extract the VOBs.

5. Launch D-Vision and open the Preferences. I don't have the screen in front of me right now, but somewhere there is a setting which lets you specify resolution and aspect ratio manually.

6. Drag 'n Drop your VIDEO_TS folder or .avi or whatever onto the panel at the top of the D-Vision window. It will process the files and then popup a window for the save file name. Put it in your home directory.

7. Select the checkbox in the General tab which says something like "don't reset after task creation"

8. Select the Video tab in the D-Vision main window and set the resolution to 480x272. Select Xvid encoding and set the framerate to the appropriate one. Set the Bitrate to 650kbps or whatever you like. For non-action DVDs that seems to work well for me.

9. Select the audio tab and click the "disable" checkbox at the top of the window.

10. Return to the General tab and click the "create task" button at the bottom of the screen. A window pops up with the task list and shows the scheduled task. Ignore it for now.

11. Click the Audio tab and select MP3 encoding and the appropriate bitrate. I use 112Kbps because it sounds good enough and keeps the size somewhat smaller than 128Kbps.

12. At the bottom of the window is a button which says something like "create audio only task". Click that and it will be added to the task list. Save the file in your home directory.

13. Go back to the task list window and hit the start button. The encoding will begin. Once it is finished you will have a .avi file and a .mp3 file.

14. Launch Terminal.app from the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.

15. The shell will open and you will already be in your home directory. Type "perl pmp_muxer.pl yourfilename.avi yourfilename.mp3 output.pmp" and hit return. Substitute yourfilename.avi and yourfilename.mp3 for the files you used in D-Vision. The files will be muxed and the result will be your PMP movie, called output.pmp in this case. Close Terminal.app.

16. Plug in your PSP to the Mac via USB and select USB mode on the PSP. The PSP gets mounted on the desktop.

17. Open the PSP disk icon, open the PSP folder and make a folder called "Video" along with the others.

18. Drag 'n Drop your output.pmp file or whatever you've renamed it, into this folder.

19. Throw the PSP drive in the trash.

20. Stop the USB mode on the PSP.

21. Run PMP Mod and play your movie.
I'll get a Howto with more precise information up once I have a little time at home in front of the Mac. I might whip up isntructions for running the TK version of the Muxer with Jonny's GUI once I get a little time.
Unix Junkie
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

Sorted wrote:Hey all

I am desperate to try this out , but QJ.NET does not let me download the muxer v.100 . i have tried explorer and firefox no joy!

i dl it on my phone and transferred it to pc but it says the rar is corrupt!

is there anywhere else i can get this prog.
Get it straight from jonny's website: http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com
fAi_

Post by fAi_ »

SerenityT3 Trailer
Profile @ Level : Home theatre PAL
Encoding type : single pass
Target quantizer : 3.00
Lame 128CBR

http://rapidshare.de/files/10464391/Ser ... _.rar.html
csuper

Yo jonny !

Post by csuper »

Hye (again),

I just finish a test with MENCODER (BATCH file modified - see below)... Incredible the same problem in the same instant of the video... I put a bitrate at 1200 so maybe that the reason...
Ps : the original & converted video are fine on my PC (i try MPC & MPLAYER...)

I'm converting the video at a lower rate (700 Kbps) like you advice me... the result in 15 minutes...

Batch file (called PMP.bat)
------------
@echo off

SET INPUT=%1
SET AVI=%INPUT%.avi
SET SRT=%INPUT%.srt
SET AVITEMP=%INPUT%_PMP.avi
SET MP3TEMP=%INPUT%_PMP.mp3
SET PMP=%INPUT%.pmp
SET PATH=d:\PMP\

%PATH%mencoder.exe %AVI% -quiet -vf harddup,scale=480:272 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1:vhq=4:me_quality=6:chroma_opt -sub %SRT% -subpos 100 -subcp cp950 -subfont-text-scale 3 -af resample=44100:0:2 -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -of rawaudio -o d:\%MP3TEMP%

%PATH%mencoder.exe %AVI% -quiet -vf harddup,scale=480:272 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2:vhq=4:bitrate=700:me_quality=6:chroma_opt -sub %SRT% -subpos 100 -subcp cp950 -subfont-text-scale 3 -nosound -o d:\%AVITEMP%

%PATH%pmp_muxer.exe d:\%AVITEMP% d:\%MP3TEMP% d:\%PMP%
------------------------------------

You need to have :
- mencoder.exe
- pmp_muxer.exe
in the same directory...

Change the variable as you wish...

Ps :
1. the batch file have subtitle support (srt) the avi and the srt need to have the same name... (like video.avi & video.srt)
2. you need to launch the batch file : PMP.bat videofilename
=> without the .avi ;)

I put the final file on d: (juste change the last line of the file if you wish to put the final file elsewhere...
argandona

Post by argandona »

Jonny:
I see you have all the help you need regarding graphics, but I'll send you mine anyway:

It belongs to the concept GUI I made for PMP, you can get it here:

Concept GUI:
http://files.filefront.com/PMP_argandon ... einfo.html

EBOOT here: http://files.filefront.com/EBOOTrar/;45 ... einfo.html
Last edited by argandona on Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sorted

Post by Sorted »

Get it straight from jonny's website: http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com
cheers for that, i did look but just couldnt see where it was!

ok now for some Muxing!
imutau

winmenc help

Post by imutau »

Can someone just create a modified .ini for the Winmenc GUI application? Or just paste the script here and I'll create the .ini file myself?

I want to try mencoder but I'm not understanding the scripts too much.

I would like to see an edited .bat file that included the file that was encoded in the script. Both the output file and location and the input file and location to be converted. I think I might understand it more than %'s and <>'s ""'s and the like.

A tutorial on this really would be nice (hint,hint arex/JimmyZ?)

I got stuff to run using the VDub Mod method but it can be a long process.

I'm also trying the 3GP method but the first pass didn't work.

Also thanks again to JiniCho for starting this thing up and Johnny for this great release. Also all those who helped create this and those users out there with tips on how to encode the files really nice work.
Dnim

PMP

Post by Dnim »

PiMP