PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

Thanks for the appreciation Jonny. You can directly contact pochi and I'm sure he'd be delighted to create another blazing quality menu or images for PMP.

Now some personal experience I'd like to share. I heard lots of complaints with people having video stuttering or crackling audio or both at once. Well, I think that I might have a solution for some of you (if not all).

In BeLite 0.21 ,

Uncheck 'dynamic compression', uncheck 'hybrid gain' under BeSweet OTA. Then go into the advanced settings and check the option that says 'normalize to'. Now choose any number between 50 to 70. Check 'stereo' in the drop down box right above this option.

That helped me quite a bit. I noticed that higher video bitrate had nothing to do with video stuttering but it was the higher noise db level in my mp3 audio files. So normalizing it to an appropriate level between 50-70 removes it A LOT (if not all). I highly suggest do some experimentation with your audio files normalization figures and I'm sure you'd be pleased with the less stuttering results :)

OH and one important thing to keep in mind. If you got a 2channel AC3 audio file then you don't need to check the LFE to LR channels option in the advanced settings. Keep it unchecked with 2ch AC3. BUT if you got a 5ch or 5+ch AC3 file then check this option for sure. Try your usual settings afterwards.

Hope this helps you guys who've had stuttering issues like me. Thanks for reading.
Last edited by yoshaw on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackPaladin

Skins

Post by BlackPaladin »

Maybe I'm the only one... but I really like how minimal the interface is on PMP right now. No big images hogging MS space and it's very usable and functional. Others apparently don't feel this way, but I thought I'd express my opinion. Maybe it's my Unix mentality... I'll blame that. :)

Nice work Jonny! Serious thanks also to JiniCho, if you still read this forum.
Unix Junkie
csuper

Post by csuper »

Thanx Yoshaw for the TIP... i will try it immediatly !

@ jonny
Unfortunatly... changing the video RATE changed nothing to the sound issue...
I tried 2 methods - same results :::o (w/mencoder and w/virutaldub-besweet )
I will try the yosho TIP and I keep you inform of course !

csuper

Ps : Just asking... there is a PMP mux... is there a PMP demux ?
leonh

Post by leonh »

Thanks for the great pmp media player Jonny and all others involved.

It's working great most of the time. Except I do have one reproduceable crash. On one pmp file of mine (~700mb) the pmp player always hangs when it gets to a certain frame in the video. I've tried re-encoding the video at a smaller bitrate (~500mb) but it crashes later in the video and always at the same spot. The .avi file plays fine on windows. It's also fine if I fast forward past that problematic bit. (I'm using 2 pass xvid and I'm not using b-frames, qpel or gmc.) So just simple profile.

Also, is it possible to have an option so that the program drop video frames (like other media players) rather than stutter the audio when the psp can't keep up?
digihoe

Post by digihoe »

First of great work jonny!

Is there any plan to release a demux/decoder for PMP video files under windows? It seem to me that PMP is a really good streaming format since it's easy to A/V sync...

Also what your thoughts about using ogg (I think it should be less CPU intensive) in the pmp container?

Best regards!
dnnsmanace

Post by dnnsmanace »

leonh wrote:Thanks for the great pmp media player Jonny and all others involved.

It's working great most of the time. Except I do have one reproduceable crash. On one pmp file of mine (~700mb) the pmp player always hangs when it gets to a certain frame in the video. I've tried re-encoding the video at a smaller bitrate (~500mb) but it crashes later in the video and always at the same spot. The .avi file plays fine on windows. It's also fine if I fast forward past that problematic bit. (I'm using 2 pass xvid and I'm not using b-frames, qpel or gmc.) So just simple profile.

Also, is it possible to have an option so that the program drop video frames (like other media players) rather than stutter the audio when the psp can't keep up?

I get that problem also.
csuper

Post by csuper »

I realize something...jonny ? is your program handling the CPU modification.. ?

Do I have to do any modification for my PSP (using another homebrew) to run at 333 Mhz because by default my PSP run at 222 Mhz... no ?

Anyway... the Yoshaw solution seems to give me less stutering but there are not completely disapearing...

I'm waiting for PMP 1.01 now :)

csuper.
Last edited by csuper on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26bboy

Post by 26bboy »

First of all great work!

All the videos ive downloaded work fantastically but 1 question, how do you run the pmp muxer program? ive tried running both the exes (pmp_muxer.exe and pmp_muxer_tk.exe) that are in the .rar but they just exit straight away and i dont get the gui as shown in the guide at your homepage to show up?

plz help

Edit: I also get an error when running it through 3gp converter with the ini file linked previously. it says "Perl2exe ERROR: Cant create p2x583.dll"

Edit: Dont worry i figured it all out, just had to edit the damn "environment variables" in windows....
Last edited by 26bboy on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

leavinel wrote:Hello everyone,

Thanks for jonny's contribution to such a wonderful video player!
I wrote a transcoding configuration file for 3GP Converter, so it might make video conversion easier, only a drap & drop.
I expect you guys had used 3GP Converter, so I won't make effort on explaining how to use it.

1. First get a copy of 3GP Converter (lastest v0.34).
2. copy jonny's pmp_muxer.exe into "3GP_Converter\cores".
3. Download this transcoding file http://rapidshare.de/files/10363653/Tra ... 1.ini.html and then place it into "3GP_Converter\default_setting"
4. Run setup.exe. Choose "Model: PMP, for jonny's PMP mod v1.00"
5. Run 3GP_Converter.exe, drag&drop, and then wait for the transcoded .pmp file.

This configuration file is based on this settings:
video: XviD 24fps, 360x272 or 480x272 resolution
audio: MP3 ch2 44kHz 128kbps CBR
You can modify it for your purpose.

VirtualDub is very powerful. But compared to 3GP Converter, I think the latter will be better to do such jobs. Their performances are about the same.

Again, thanks jonny!
Hi all I tried this encoding option and found it great - If anyone is encoding using this direct from a pal vob source - change the ini file settings from 23.97fps to 25.00fps or you will experience skipping in the conversion.

All the best

J.
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

Yup, one click (or dragndrop :P) and you're set. That's great. I can even queue a bunch of files. Very convenient. Wonder if there's any difference in video quality though.
daume

Post by daume »

to csuper :

i am trying youre batch file now with subtitles but you says that you have some problems with the audio with ure batch
so i was wondering if you can only modify arex batch to put subtitles possible and all the things that can be positive to have more quality

because arex batch works perfectly with no problem at all

thanks

(je suis francais aussi lol donc en gros je teste ton batch mais tu dis que y'a des problemes donc bon si tu pouvais checker le bat d'arex ca serai cool car il marche tres bien mais y'a pas de subs possible :p
et aussi jme demande comment ameliorer encore la qualité (changer le bitrate en 1280 c bien ?)
et aussi lol eske ton bat est en 2pass ?
salut !!! et merci encore
++ all
dbl

Post by dbl »

@jonny (and all):

As you suggested I've had a go at encoding at multiple bit-rates to try and nail down when stuttering occurs. The results weren't quite what I expected.

Using VirtualDub, XVid, AS@L3, 1-pass. I encoded an unfriendly section of video at bitrates of 268, 368, 468, 568, 668, and 768. All of them demonstrated audio-skipping.

Then I disabled b-frames (as suggested in EdwardFMA's tut), and repeated all the encodes. None of them skipped at all.

Clearly there is more experimentation to be done here, particularly with even higher bit-rates, in the meantime I'd be interested to hear if anyone is experiencing any skipping in encodes with b-frames disabled?
csuper

Post by csuper »

daume wrote:to csuper :

je suis francais aussi lol donc en gros je teste ton batch mais tu dis que y'a des problemes donc bon si tu pouvais checker le bat d'arex ca serai cool car il marche tres bien mais y'a pas de subs possible :p
et aussi jme demande comment ameliorer encore la qualité (changer le bitrate en 1280 c bien ?)
et aussi lol eske ton bat est en 2pass ?
salut !!! et merci encore
Sorry Guys (this one is in french)

@ dome :

Je me suis basé sur le batch de AREX pour faire le mien donc tu peux récupérer les parties concernant l'encodage des subs et les intégrer aux tiens/siens...

param : -sub "videoname.srt" -subpos 100 -subcp cp950 -subfont-text-scale 3
-> subpos obligatoire, subfont c'est la taille, 3 semble un réglage correct...

En un sens c'est vrai que je n'ai utilisé que XVID et pas DIVX... ce serait à tenter... pour voir le PB du bruit/sacade sur certaines parties de la vidéo.

1280 c très bien mais je pense que 1000 est suffisant en 2 passes Quantizer à 1 (sur mes animés cela passe très très bien, sur les épisodes de séries c'est aussi pas mal du tout ;)

En ce qui concerne mon/le batch ouais il me semble que c'est du 2 passes... mais bon faut je m'en penche sur le FAQ mencoder qui est £%*?

Faut que je voie cette histoire de B-Frame (voir un des MSG ci-dessus)... Utilises tu que DIVX ? et pas XVID ?

Ciao

csuper.
jonny

Post by jonny »

@csuper:
is there a PMP demux ?
only on my brain atm :)
Do I have to do any modification for my PSP (using another homebrew) to run at 333 Mhz
the homebrew you are using should provide you the option in order run at 333
(pmpmod doesn't give you the choice :)

@leonh:
actually, if you don't use bframes, the only thing that can be skipped is the color space conversion (every frame must be always fully decompressed in order to decompress the next)
(showing the frame have cost 0 in the actual code)
so you'll not get big improvement with this, plus, if not well implemented, this could ruin places where the app works well now.
there are some more optimizations to shot anyway, frameskip will go later as a last resort.

ps: check pm plz

@digihoe:
Also what your thoughts about using ogg (I think it should be less CPU intensive) in the pmp container?
i know near nothing about ogg (talking about internals), from what i've got, there could be severe problems with this
mp3 packets are well defined and outputting always the same lenght of data, i've read somewhere ogg not
(take this as a rumor :) , i've not really gone inside this)

Is there any plan to release a demux/decoder for PMP video files under windows?
demuxer yes, the decoder could be nice, i could work on this when i'll have no more things to do on the player :)

@dnnsmanace and again leonh:
so always on the same point?
hangs means it freeze? (if you press triangle you are able to exit?)

@26bboy:
Edit: I also get an error when running it through 3gp converter with the ini file linked previously. it says "Perl2exe ERROR: Cant create p2x583.dll"
perl scripts are packed with a program called perl2exe
when you run the muxer, perl dlls and requided modules are decompressed in a tmp dir and the perl script is executed.
everyone can download a perl distribution (go to activestate.com if you are under windows) and run the scripts inside the source archive (instead of the exes)

@argandona, Dnim:

thank you men!
(@Dnim, can you make an eboot?)
i must say i wasn't expecting such a great feedback, also considering that only a couple of days are passed after the release
thanks to everyone getting involved!

@BlackPaladin:

happy to see the muxer works on mac, waiting for a well packed guide now (if you have time :)

@all:

I've uploaded a clip showing what happen when the psp is not able to handle decoding in realtime:
http://rapidshare.de/files/10471957/Spi ... y.pmp.html
(the clip is encoded at quant 1)
Sorted

Post by Sorted »

Just converted 2 movies

pretty much perfect quality :) thx Jonny for a great prog and the peeps who did guides (Edwardo)

a bit fiddly to do but once done properly very very nice
jonny

Post by jonny »

conversions gets faster after the first 2/3 times (all the steps are quite easy).

a large amount of people (new generation pc users) is lazy, maybe it's just me, but i think more times goes on, more this happens
daume

Post by daume »

to csuper

(sorry for french :p)

alors en fait moi j'utilisais le bat d'arex pour mes xvid (j'ai ke des xvid pas de divx) et je mettais en 192 kps pour le son et 1068 pour le bitrate et y'avai aucun souci pas de decalage son ni rien

la jvai tenter un mix du tien et de celui d'arex pour voir si subs etc ca marche
voila jte ferai signe pour les resultats mais en tout cas avec la methode d'arex y'a aucun probleme de son

a bientot :)
++ all
mraeburn

Post by mraeburn »

I have used the below to convert and has kind of worked:

leavinel wrote:
Hello everyone,

Thanks for jonny's contribution to such a wonderful video player!
I wrote a transcoding configuration file for 3GP Converter, so it might make video conversion easier, only a drap & drop.
I expect you guys had used 3GP Converter, so I won't make effort on explaining how to use it.

1. First get a copy of 3GP Converter (lastest v0.34).
2. copy jonny's pmp_muxer.exe into "3GP_Converter\cores\".
3. Download this transcoding file http://rapidshare.de/files/10363653/Tra ... 1.ini.html and then place it into "3GP_Converter\default_setting\"
4. Run setup.exe. Choose "Model: PMP, for jonny's PMP mod v1.00"
5. Run 3GP_Converter.exe, drag&drop, and then wait for the transcoded .pmp file.

This configuration file is based on this settings:
video: XviD 24fps, 360x272 or 480x272 resolution
audio: MP3 ch2 44kHz 128kbps CBR
You can modify it for your purpose.

I coverted an avi of a tv episode 25 mins in length, when I got about 20 mins in the screen paused and I could not do anything, had to hard rest the PSP. Tried again and exactly the same happened. Anyone experienced this?

Also using the method above the volume is too low is there any where to increase the volume level?

Well done Jonny this is an awesome bit of kit - I can't believe that i can now watch full UMD quality movies, picture quality is awesome. Thanks very much!

Cheers

Mark
gcmospeada

Post by gcmospeada »

tried with a tv show to .pmp and most of the sequences had a scratch sound, even when there were not much motion and people talked.

anyone experienced this? none of the methods that were mentioned before fixed this for the tv show
arex

Re: winmenc help

Post by arex »

imutau wrote:Can someone just create a modified .ini for the Winmenc GUI application? Or just paste the script here and I'll create the .ini file myself?

I want to try mencoder but I'm not understanding the scripts too much.

i will tell you a good news! yawoo(the author of WinMenc) has just released the newest version of winmenc called "WinMenc 0.5x beta", it add a new commend, with this, you can convert a video file to pmp simply and quickly! just one step!

the pmpmux.bat is like this

set vid=%~f1
set aud=%~dpn1.mp3
set pmp=%~dpn1.pmp
mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -of rawaudio -o "%aud%" "%vid%"
pmp_muxer "%vid%" "%aud%" "%pmp%"
del "%aud%"
del "%vid%"
exit /b
Phuncz

Post by Phuncz »

So what is the best method to avoid frameskipping ?

I read disabling B-frames and normalizing the audio, but someone is always contradicting another.

I've encoded The Matrix (2h10) to 950MB, avg. bitrate of about 800kbit/s, almost no frameskip.
I also did Resident Evil (1h30) to 950MB, avg. bitrate of about 1300kbit/s,
frameskipping a lot !
I did Ghost In The Shell 2 (1h40) to 860MB (actually was aiming at 700MB), avg. bitrate of about 1200kbit/s, frameskipping most of the time.

I think it would be best if PMP Mod automatically set the CPU to 333MHz, to ensure quality rips are possible. Jonny, your work is very much appreciated, this has been a great deal for a lot of people !
xxxstarmanxxx

Re: winmenc help

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

arex wrote:
imutau wrote:Can someone just create a modified .ini for the Winmenc GUI application? Or just paste the script here and I'll create the .ini file myself?

I want to try mencoder but I'm not understanding the scripts too much.

i will tell you a good news! yawoo(the author of WinMenc) has just released the newest version of winmenc called "WinMenc 0.5x beta", it add a new commend, with this, you can convert a video file to pmp simply and quickly! just one step!

the pmpmux.bat is like this

set vid=%~f1
set aud=%~dpn1.mp3
set pmp=%~dpn1.pmp
mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -of rawaudio -o "%aud%" "%vid%"
pmp_muxer "%vid%" "%aud%" "%pmp%"
del "%aud%"
del "%vid%"
exit /b
Greetings arex - Please - where can I find this beta???? - I've searched all around using google and cant find the x beta! - I'm foaming at the mouth to try this out!

All the best

J.
csuper

Post by csuper »

jonny wrote: I've uploaded a clip showing what happen when the psp is not able to handle decoding in realtime:
http://rapidshare.de/files/10471957/Spi ... y.pmp.html
(the clip is encoded at quant 1)
Yep that's what we talking about... ! :o
what specs did you used ? (just for information...)
.... and what do you preconise us to use... ? :)

Enjoy the week-end !

csuper.
GiBBz

Post by GiBBz »

Phuncz wrote:So what is the best method to avoid frameskipping ?

I read disabling B-frames and normalizing the audio, but someone is always contradicting another.

I've encoded The Matrix (2h10) to 950MB, avg. bitrate of about 800kbit/s, almost no frameskip.
I also did Resident Evil (1h30) to 950MB, avg. bitrate of about 1300kbit/s,
frameskipping a lot !
I did Ghost In The Shell 2 (1h40) to 860MB (actually was aiming at 700MB), avg. bitrate of about 1200kbit/s, frameskipping most of the time.

I think it would be best if PMP Mod automatically set the CPU to 333MHz, to ensure quality rips are possible. Jonny, your work is very much appreciated, this has been a great deal for a lot of people !
PMP Mod runs @ 333 by default, by your post it seems clips over 1mb bitrate seem to skip more i seriously dont know why people need over 1mb anyway around 512k or 768 is more than sufficient for fullres dvdrips its only 480x, dont forget you will only get around 4 1/2hours playback on a full battery, so dont put more video on the memcard than the battery will use :P

Heck a 1gb memcard can fit 15, 21minutes episodes @ 63mb an episode
at these specs,

Video: XviD 368x272 (4:3), bitrate of around 300k, quantizer capped at 5 Audio: 96k 44khz MP3

all thanx to PMP ;)
Last edited by GiBBz on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
(+.[____]·:·)
jonny

Post by jonny »

@csuper:

this is encoded in quality based mode (using a quantizer=1)

you could try with xvid using the "AS @ L4" profile, this should restrict the max bitrate to 3000 (the restriction works only in 2 pass mode)

EDIT: i can't really deeply go to test "safe options" at this stage of devel. :P
Last edited by jonny on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

Thanks to leavinel's original ini file. I was able to update it with better fps specs and add a few lines of my own. Following is my updated version of leavinel's ini file but with the added benefits of having not only the 23fps but the 25, 29.97 and 30fps as well. Hope it works fine for you guys. I'd appreciate if someone other than me can also get this working(means let us know by posting here).

3GP Leavinel's updated ini by Yoshaw, includes 25, 29 and 30fps encoding options.
http://files.filefront.com/Transcoding_ ... einfo.html

Follow leavinel's tutorial closely. And when done with everything else just unrar this updated ini file in 3GP's default settings folder and start setup.exe. Choose 'Leavinel/Yoshaw's config for Jonny's PMP mod v1.00' and hopefully, you're all set.

Yoshaw :)

PS: I'll try to add a few more specs related to different audio kbps settings(like 64, 96, 192 etc) and different video bitrates(like 128, 384, 512, 786) if you guys really want it. And if Leavinel doesn't mind.
imutau

Post by imutau »

Ok same question here where is the beta of WinMenc 5.x?

I have 5.0 but its not the right one. I'm sure the coder is asian cause I only see this front end on asian sites but which one?
Phuncz

Post by Phuncz »

GiBBz wrote: PMP Mod runs @ 333 by default, by your post it seems clips over 1mb bitrate seem to skip more i seriously dont know why people need over 1mb anyway around 512k or 768 is more than sufficient for fullres dvdrips its only 480x, dont forget you will only get around 4 1/2hours playback on a full battery, so dont put more video on the memcard than the battery will use :P

Heck a 1gb memcard can fit 15, 21minutes episodes @ 63mb an episode
at these specs,

Video: XviD 368x272 (4:3), bitrate of around 300k, quantizer capped at 5 Audio: 96k 44khz MP3

all thanx to PMP ;)
Yeah, problem is, I encoded a movie, set it for 700MB which should result in a avg. bitrate of about 800, it ended up being 870MB and a way higher bitrate. I haven't found a way to set the maximum bitrate to a custom value or to "even out" the bitrate for better compressable or short movies.
malloc

small mod

Post by malloc »

Thank you so much Jonny for this great player !

I've added 2 new functions :

- a volume booster function (up and down can be used to change the volume from x1 to x2, x4, or x8 during play, usefull for the low volume scenes)

- a resume function (when the video is exited with triangle, the position is saved in a small file, and when the video is played again, it goes directly where it was saved)

the psp app :
http://rapidshare.de/files/10574097/pmpmod.zip.html

the sources :
http://rapidshare.de/files/10574114/pmpmod_src.zip.html

Jonny you'll probably add those kind of options in a next release, but I wanted to use your player right now and needed those features so I've added them quickly (there's probably better ways to implement them).
Last edited by malloc on Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imutau

Re: small mod

Post by imutau »

malloc wrote:Thank you so much Jonny for this great player !

I've added 2 new functions :

- a volume booster function (up and down can be used to change the volume from x1 to x2, x4, or x8 during play, usefull for the low volume scenes)

- a resume function (when the video is exited with triangle, the position is saved in a small file, and when the video is played again, it goes directly where it was saved)

the psp app :
http://rapidshare.de/files/10543249/pmpmod.zip.html

the sources :
http://rapidshare.de/files/10543348/pmpmod_src.rar.html

Jonny you'll probably add those kind of options in a next release, but I wanted to use your player right now and needed those functions so I've added them quickly (there's probably better ways to implement them).
Wait you did what? Holy crap man thats cool.

On the resume video position function I have a few questions. How would one be able to go back to the beginning if one would want to see the video from the beginning instead of the last saved position? What I mean is how would you delete the video mark (book mark) ?

Now all we really need is a FF and REW and a Zoom function and this would rock! Not that it doesn't already.

Only thing else I'd want is a cleaner front end and I'd be one happy Clam.