PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

ESTIMULO

Post by ESTIMULO »

thankyou very much, now i'm working by cropping with virtualdub
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

After reading the last 12 pages, I got memcoder to work throught 2 bat files I've got here:
PMP-it-libavc.bat and PMP-it-XViD.bat
1st one uses libavc, 2nd one uses XViD.
Yes, I can confirm, that libavc does encodes faster. The final result is a bit bigger tho', but not that much.

For example:
I've reencoded HDTV King Kong trailer
King_Kong_2005_trailer_HDTV_1080i.mpg
File : 216 MB type: MPG, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 83 %
Video : 19392 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 1920*1088 (16:9), MPG2 = MPEG 2 (SVCD/DVD), Supported
Audio : 384 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, 0x2000 = AC3 DVM [0x80], Supported

Results:
libc:
Video stream: 788.249 kbit/s (98531 B/s) size: 14656374 bytes 148.749 secs 3992 frames // 16,2 MB (17.027.120 bytes)

XViD:
Video stream: 762.146 kbit/s (95268 B/s) size: 14171013 bytes 148.749 secs 3992 frames // 15,7 MB (16.541.759 bytes)

You can't see the quality difference at PSP at all... Both sucked... And audio didn't followed the video...

Anyhow... Could anyone make some tutorial/guide with step by step instruction on how to make DVD into PMP? I'm interested in main movie + main audio track + eng sub. Thanks in advance
Last edited by wooolF on Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
miemt11

Re: PMP Simple Converter 0.03 for memcoder and pmp_muxer

Post by miemt11 »

Phuncz wrote:
miemt11 wrote:This unknown crash maybe due to the regional and language setting of your windows ;(. about the auto aspect ratio resizer, i will look into it
I have the files on my desktop (Dutch for desktop is "bureaublad"), maybe that's the problem ? Maybe you need to have the nescessary file pointed to the desktop with a %string% ?
Have you try it on C:\memcoder folder ? It might fix the problem (I hope)
artik

Re: PMP Simple Converter 0.03 for memcoder and pmp_muxer

Post by artik »

miemt11 wrote:Have you try it on C:\memcoder folder ? It might fix the problem (I hope)
I tried on C:\mencoder
that didn't fix the prob :)
but remember we only get an error message. The PMP file is created, and it works PERFECT =)
after all, this error message is really not important =)

miemt11, did u checked ur PM ?
digital99

Post by digital99 »

Hat off to jonny for writing such a wonderful prog, it's the only reason for some of us to still keep our psps around.

I've tried encoding with Winmenc and the results came out fantastic. However, some files are still unplayable with the error "pmp_lib_open: first key is not a keyframe". I've seen that some people from this thread were also having the same problem, just wondering if we have any solutions to this yet?
yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

Jonny, I read you're working on a new version of the muxer that would probably fix the audio/video stuttering issue. That is the biggest sigh of relief I ever made after reading that, trust me.

I know I found a temporary(partly working) solution a few pages back about the audio stuttering. BUT it's been a pain in the behind to work around this issue and in some cases it's simply impossible to get rid of it regardless of how low the bitrate is kept for both audio and video. Stuttering occured with some videos even when some handy tips were utilized as discussed in the last 12-13 pages... to no avail.

Thanks for sticking with the project Jonny. I'm having a tough time converting the 720p HD trailer of Metal Gear Solid 4(WMV format) to PMP format but with occasional stuttering throughout the resulting file on PSP. Same goes for the Sony's E3 PlayStation3 Press Conference that I'm trying to convert to PMP format but it's getting the crackling effect no matter how low the video or audio bitrate is kept or by using 5-6 different programs. No use at all.

Keep up the good work. You know you rocked the PSP scene with this brew, right! ;)
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

Yup, PMPmod is as big as UMD Emulator! :P
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

The Zoom function doesn't work for me either when pressing SELECT.
I'm *sure* i got the right version.
I got a PSP with fw 1.0... dunno if it makes any difference.
Later,

Alcahest
jonny

Post by jonny »

However, some files are still unplayable with the error "pmp_lib_open: first key is not a keyframe"
no one have still managed to give me a sample about this or instruction in order to reproduce this for sure
can't do too much if i'm not able to see what happen :(
ESTIMULO

Post by ESTIMULO »

Alcahest wrote:The Zoom function doesn't work for me either when pressing SELECT.
I'm *sure* i got the right version.
I got a PSP with fw 1.0... dunno if it makes any difference.
Later,

Alcahest
Just read this post: http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=32759#32759
jonny

Post by jonny »

@Nebur:
I just have some questions, first one its if its possible to make a donate to the project using paypal or something similar,
i feel this would be not morally corrected.
too much work from others was involved in order to make the player out.
ps2dev team for the sdk, Jini for the ffmpeg port, the ffmpeg team itself, recently malloc for his nice additions
(i'm really far from being rich, but some stuffs are more important than money - i guess passion is enough keep up the project)
and the second one its if its possible to see format .pmp on PC or using Xbox Media Center on Xbox, it will be a compatible fomat on the future or its just an PSP format where the .pmp files can just be seen on PSP?
i could make a player on pc, but maybe i'll do only a demuxer (it's really not a priority now)
about pmp support on xbox, surely not from me :)
(the time will tell us - consider that the pmp format is only 10 days old :)
csuper

Post by csuper »

Just for info... :

PMP encoding with subtitles are well managed with the 3 GP Converter... :)
http://pspupdates.qj.net/2006/01/3gp-co ... d-for.html

Requirement : just the same name with "videoname.avi" and "videoname.srt" in the same directory... with a PMP profile selected.
=> just remember that you just need to drag & drop the "videoname.srt" file on the box ;) - not the .avi

csuper.
Himura

Key frame

Post by Himura »

digital99 wrote:I've tried encoding with Winmenc and the results came out fantastic. However, some files are still unplayable with the error "pmp_lib_open: first key is not a keyframe".
To solve this you have to delete all the frames before the first "key frame". There should be a button in VirtualDub (not sure becuase I use Linux) to search for key frames, just look for the first one and delete everything before it (you have to do this in the .avi file you use created before using pmp_muxer). After that your .pmp file should play fine....
Mr.Modem

Re: Key frame

Post by Mr.Modem »

Himura wrote:
digital99 wrote:I've tried encoding with Winmenc and the results came out fantastic. However, some files are still unplayable with the error "pmp_lib_open: first key is not a keyframe".
To solve this you have to delete all the frames before the first "key frame". There should be a button in VirtualDub (not sure becuase I use Linux) to search for key frames, just look for the first one and delete everything before it (you have to do this in the .avi file you use created before using pmp_muxer). After that your .pmp file should play fine....
Nice solution Himura! I'll try that.
qt11

compliling the source

Post by qt11 »

Hi guys...

I've downloaded the source code for pmp_mod_1_00 and am trying to compile it however am getting a :

cannot find -lavformat error....

does anyone know where i can get this package from ?

i've tried a few svn's however had no luck...

Any help will be very much apprecaited !!

Cheers
A
Last edited by qt11 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

Why would you guys want to play PMP files on the Xbox anyway? Isn't the Xbox Media Center enough heh?
jonny

Post by jonny »

@qt11:

you must run make at the top level dir

only 2 additional libs are required

to fix -lz you need:
svn co svn://svn.pspdev.org/psp/trunk/zlib
after this you can build/install it

to fix -logg you can download and install it from a previous version:
http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/pmp_mod ... source.rar
go into libogg, build and install it
(i think you can get it from svn too, but i'm lazy to check now)

i've still not managed to rip the code, 80% of the code can be stripped since i'm using only mpeg4 video and mp3 audio (lz and logg are not really used in the current code)

PS: i agree with Itaintrite, don't lose the focus, the pmp container doesn't have the target of being a new universally used format (there is no sense of support it in platforms where good working players already exists)
qt11

Post by qt11 »

thanks jonny, exactly what i needed.

Cheers mate
A
jonny

Post by jonny »

About "first frame is not a keyframe" error.

I wasn't still able to get this error in my tests.

I can give some advice:

- Try to use a recent binary of MEncoder from Celtic Druid ( http://celticdruid.no-ip.com/xvid/ )
- Try to use the "-forceidx" MEncoder option

anyone having this error is encouraged to follow those tips and post the results here.
reveine

Post by reveine »

jonny wrote:About "first frame is not a keyframe" error.

I wasn't still able to get this error in my tests.

I can give some advice:

- Try to use a recent binary of MEncoder from Celtic Druid ( http://celticdruid.no-ip.com/xvid/ )
- Try to use the "-forceidx" MEncoder option

anyone having this error is encouraged to follow those tips and post the results here.
I encountered "first frame is not a keyframe" error only when I encoded DivX pmp files using winmenc 0.5x with MPlayer-mingw32-dev-CVS-050928. Two pmps encoded with this combo couldnot be played.

Stange that I have never encountered any "first frame" error if I use MPlayer-mingw32-dev-CVS-050928 with PMP simple converter 0.03.
Dnim

Post by Dnim »

Does anyone know how to set mencoder to run two threads when encoding say with Xvid?

I have installed the SMP Xvid:
XviD-1.2.-127-07012006:
- {core}: Experimental SMP support (2 threads hardcoded).
Patch for P- and B-frames from sysKin applied by hand.
- {core}: Trellis improvements (according to sysKin).
but looks like the mencoder does not use its core... (and uses only 1 CPU when encoding)
(i guess this core is used only for VFW, maybe I need to find a different mencoder build?)
any ideas?
LVX
dbl

Post by dbl »

Dnim wrote:Does anyone know how to set mencoder to run two threads when encoding say with Xvid?
Try using lavc-mpeg4 instead of xvid perhaps? lavc is supposed to support multi-threading wheras xvid (within mencoder) does not.

Having said that I think xvid is complied into mencoder, so installing xvid builds seperately will make no difference anyway.

(See my earlier post for an example command-line)...
Last edited by dbl on Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonny

Post by jonny »

I encountered "first frame is not a keyframe" error only when I encoded DivX pmp files using winmenc 0.5x with MPlayer-mingw32-dev-CVS-050928. Two pmps encoded with this combo couldnot be played.

Stange that I have never encountered any "first frame" error if I use MPlayer-mingw32-dev-CVS-050928 with PMP simple converter 0.03.
can you try to reencode one of the two not working sources with 0.03?
reveine

Post by reveine »

I reencoded the problem file again with 0.03 and the error appeared. BTW I used the following setting:

DIVX 480x272
mp3: 128
video: 900
Lanczos
high quality encoding enabled.

Do you want me to upload the problem pmp? the pmp's size is around 30 mb but the source is 200 mb. It's a music video which contains fast-moving as well as some high-detailed scences.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

try on this file instead : ftp://dvdcenter.hu/HDTV/race.mpg
HDTV, around 1min or so, but it's enough to see the result =)
Theelise

Post by Theelise »

Eingang wrote:
ESTIMULO wrote:Is there a visual black borders cropper before encoding? I don't know how to remove those black borders to use zoom at full screen.
Thanks Jonny and malloc and sorry my poor english.
Cropping is only possible when you use a filter. (appears selectable right bottom filter screen) If you do not want to filter anything but only crop, select the filter called "null transform" which was built for that purpose and then crop.

BTW:
After days encoding and testing I finally came to following configuration as best (imho) : DivX, First Pass 4854, 4-Pass 1500, Forming, h2.63 optimized, first filter "sharpen" with 20, cropped, second filter resizing, lanczos3 .... Yes, it lasts a long time, but for me only highest quality matters, nothing else. I compared to identical UMD movie content as good as I can, the difference is hard to see.... UMD just seems to have a little bit more .... let me say substance.... anyway this is no player-thing but it´s the codec itself, it simply can´t produce better quality at that bitrate. Sometimes it seems as if faces are somehow a little bit more undetailed as they could be... (what other (better) codecs could be used ? ) And of course not to forget the source quality is really very important. As we could see yet HD-Content gets crystal clear to PMP - but DVD content should also be enough quality to produce crystal clear PMPs....

I fully process ac3-5.1 with 400% boost, 44,1/16bit/stereo in Vdub, converting afterwards with belight or Goldwave. In the player pull down loudness in PSP and up within PMP-Player again. This makes sound halfway acceptable. But anyway sound is definetely something to work on further.

Last but not least, I found out how to reduce or even kill daubbing. The main thing with UMD videos is, they are so bright. That didn´t come to my mind yet, but today I finally found out the key to kill daubbing is just to make picture brighter. Use malcoms mod for that, it´s a real surprise !!!! (Yes, things sometimes can be SO simple....)

Sorry but i am missing something? malcoms mod of what?
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Theelise wrote: Sorry but i am missing something? malcoms mod of what?
of PMP MOD... http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

By the way... Did anyone uses WinMEnc 0.5x to convert their DVDs to PMP? I *really* need an example of your winmenc.ini file if you do. I'm interested in main movie, audio track AND SUBTITLE.

Or using ANY OTHER app to archive the same result (source is DVD, result is movie + audio + subtitle)

Please share the fun =) Thanks
Last edited by wooolF on Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Theelise

Post by Theelise »

eh? ok... But your link points to jonny's original version? how's that help?

also how does malcoms mod help with the brightness? that is what i was getting at?
jonny

Post by jonny »

@wooolF: can you give me mencoder commandlines and exact mencoder version you use?

i guess malcoms=malloc :)