New Developer Seeks Resources

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Warlock

New Developer Seeks Resources

Post by Warlock »

Hello, I'm extremely new to the PSP programming scene. However, I do have a quite extensive programming background, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding out what languages are supported on the standard PSP. (v1.5 virgin us)

I've also noticed language ports released... is there anything besides Python that's an add-on language so to speak?

I think it would do the community a load of good if a list were put together of "places to start," because this whole thing is rather overwhelming. So far my experience trying to develop for the PSP has consisted of nothing but running search engines endlessly trying to find what languages are available and how to compile them.

Any help would be appriciated, if you don't feel like doing much work, I'd be happy with links to different languages, preferably something with documentation, unlike this mysterious PSPDevkit I downloaded.

Thanks guys :)
insert_name_here

Post by insert_name_here »

check out this tutorial if you want to use C/C++: http://www.scriptscribbler.com/psp/tuto ... sson01.htm

You can also use Lua.
init var me
me /= n00b.

init var mySig
mySig = lame
bradskins

Post by bradskins »

what about ASM?
bradskins

Post by bradskins »

you can use mips asm as well, no problem, if your a hard noser
dbeyer3069

Re: New Developer Seeks Resources

Post by dbeyer3069 »

Warlock wrote:Hello, I'm extremely new to the PSP programming scene. However, I do have a quite extensive programming background, and I'm having a lot of trouble finding out what languages are supported on the standard PSP. (v1.5 virgin us)

I've also noticed language ports released... is there anything besides Python that's an add-on language so to speak?

I think it would do the community a load of good if a list were put together of "places to start," because this whole thing is rather overwhelming. So far my experience trying to develop for the PSP has consisted of nothing but running search engines endlessly trying to find what languages are available and how to compile them.

Any help would be appriciated, if you don't feel like doing much work, I'd be happy with links to different languages, preferably something with documentation, unlike this mysterious PSPDevkit I downloaded.

Thanks guys :)
You are right that the development environment is rather difficult to get started in (a huge learning curve).

The lesson #1 suggested is a great starting place.

One note: subversion is also required but doesn't show up on everyone's list of required downloads from the cygwin install.

Be patient and give it a chance to sink in... it's a lot to learn.

David Beyer
urchin

Post by urchin »

Heh, you should have tried starting with the PS2. PSP is a walk in the park in comparison :)

The samples in the SDK are a great starting point. Get them running and then modify them a bit - you soon work out which functions are useful.
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

thanks a lot all, i'm learning a lot from this... this language is very similar to some others i've used, most notably php and perl, which as far as i know are both derived from C... it shouldn't be too long before i've got something nice together. don't worry, no random half-assed rpg or platformers from me, i swear not to release them :)