PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jonny

Post by jonny »

i've decided to use the argandona's icon/bg

the choice was not easy
thanks to everyone helping!
(i leave all the bg in the first message, so everyone having different preferences will use what he like more)
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Good decision :) Clear and simple
psp360

Post by psp360 »

Oh might JONNY, I cannot begin to express my appreciation for this GREAT app, and to the many dedicated followers who in a very short space of time have made me a VERY HAPPY psp owner. I no longer play games on my psp…It’s all about the moves and getting more releases and tips to try out. My primary use for the psp is now MOVIES and games a distant second. I will say, if this app was only usable on version 2+ I would upgrade in a heartbeat. It is that good…SONY, shame on you for not having this implemented in the first place….SHAME>>>SHAME>>>SHAME.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I will donate any time you need the funds dude!

I have one request for you Jonny: after many…many hours of ripping/coding/muxing. I am still unable to get your quality movie (spider-man trailer) when the time presents its self, can you do a tutorial for us noobs? An updated tutorial is desperately needed, there is now so many version encoding and testing that I have found myself lost. I just want to know what is the best combination of tools and settings.

Also, seeing that you have selected a background image, is it safe to guest that you updated PMP is coming very soon…maybe even tonight…*wink*….should I stay up or go to work late tomorrow? The suspense is KILLING me!
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

psp360 wrote: An updated tutorial is desperately needed, there is now so many version encoding and testing that I have found myself lost. I just want to know what is the best combination of tools and settings.
Couldn't be agree anymore...
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

psp360 - I already asked Jonny for his encoding settings on that trailer (tho I also yet been able to replicate the quality fully). Here was his response from page 8 of this thread:

"spiderman2 is encoded using this simple avisynth script:

directshowsource("Spider-Man 2 - Trailer.avi")
lanczosresize(480,272)

the original avi is 608x336 and is not perfect (little blocking present in the pmp, was also present in the source)
the avi gets decoded via ffdshow, with no postprocessing (iirc)

all is encoded with vdub, latest xvid, default options (so quant=4) but no bframes"

He didn't mention # of passes or bitrate, but I'm going to assume default settings were 2-pass xvid and at least 900kbps.

wooolF - a great tutorial for Vdub/belite is on page 2 of this thread.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Here's my try with WinMEnc 0.5x

Source:
Pulp Fiction DVD, +4mbps video stream

Result:
11.76mb
+2min @ 482x272
-sws 9 (lanczos)
XViD 2 pass @ 1200kbps
MP3 Stereo 112kbps 44100Hz with +3 gain and volume normalize

Note: This was encoded directly from DVD (decrypted)

Link : PULP_FICTION.XviD.pmp
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

wooolF wrote:
miemt11 wrote:PMP Simple Converter Version 0.07 Screenshot Preview

Update:
Dude... I like... worship your app, but that skin... PLEASE, I mean like... PLEASE... say that it will be possible to change the skin? That right? :D Thanks... Phew... lol :D
I will include a simple skin changer, so that you can create you own skin :)

Skin = 890x550, yellow is the trans and png format
Last edited by miemt11 on Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

miemt11 wrote:I will include a simple skin changer, so that you can create you own skin :) default = 890x550 and yellow is the trans
My life is saved ;) :D Thanks!
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

@jonny

can't get VBR to work with MP3 :( Anytime I use preset=medium (VBR encoding, good quality, 150-180 kbps bitrate range) I can't play the video. It just says that it can't read audio header or something... Same happends if I use switch abr or vbr=3

Dammit ;/ Guess we'll have to use CBR then
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

wooolF wrote:@jonny

can't get VBR to work with MP3 :( Anytime I use preset=medium (VBR encoding, good quality, 150-180 kbps bitrate range) I can't play the video. It just says that it can't read audio header or something... Same happends if I use switch abr or vbr=3

Dammit ;/ Guess we'll have to use CBR then
Right now it only support CBR

check here http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/pmp_mod/container.htm
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

wooolF wrote:Here's my try with WinMEnc 0.5x

Source:

Result:
11.76mb
+2min @ 482x272
-sws 9 (lanczos)
XViD 2 pass @ 1200kbps

Isn't this...illegal?
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

PMP Simple Converter - Skin Changeable

If anyone interest to create their own skin for my PMP Simple Converter

Please follow the Spec:

Resolution = 890x550
Format = png format
transparency = Yellow

My latest WIP Build with Skin Changer 0.07

e.g. of SKin

csuper

Post by csuper »

miemt11 wrote:PMP Simple Converter - Skin Changeable
Man... you're skin are so seventees... ;) Argh...

:)

csuper.
hyedipin

Post by hyedipin »

miemt11, forget focusing on skin, like i mentioned earlier, it will never please everyone's eye at the same time, it was a great idea to include skin changer, let them worry about the colors ;)

jonny, bg and icon decision is good, looking forward to next release with the graph ;)

I tried and tried, after long long sessions I gave up on WinmEnc, and went back to the old solutions..

One complaint, though, without AC3 support on the PC, it is one hell of a mess to convert .VOBs using Virtual Dub, oh and I remember someone was telling me about locating the keyframe, that would mean re-encoding to divx after locating the keyframe, then again to pmp.

I also tried recording from TV into Mpeg2 and then converting the pmp, that also gave me the keyframe error.. no clue what is causing that.

I wish everyone could encode using their own favorite pair of tools and list the settings they use and include a sample of their ouput, just like what I did with ELF before and also with wooolF's pulp fiction.

Input Format, Size
Output Format, Size
Settings / Bitrate / FPS
Resolution
Tools Used

sort of a thing..

or if jonny was a bit more specific on how he gets awesome quality out of his rips! :) thanks.
Jan 18th v.0.07 - PMP Simple Converter by miemt11 to use with PMP MOD Player on your PSP PACKAGED ready. http://rapidshare.de/files/11293003/PMP ... k.rar.html
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=33359#33359
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

k0nan wrote:psp360 - I already asked Jonny for his encoding settings on that trailer (tho I also yet been able to replicate the quality fully). Here was his response from page 8 of this thread:

"spiderman2 is encoded using this simple avisynth script:

directshowsource("Spider-Man 2 - Trailer.avi")
lanczosresize(480,272)

the original avi is 608x336 and is not perfect (little blocking present in the pmp, was also present in the source)
the avi gets decoded via ffdshow, with no postprocessing (iirc)

all is encoded with vdub, latest xvid, default options (so quant=4) but no bframes"

He didn't mention # of passes or bitrate, but I'm going to assume default settings were 2-pass xvid and at least 900kbps.

wooolF - a great tutorial for Vdub/belite is on page 2 of this thread.
Here are my final encoding options for Jonny's pmp player.

For DVD conversion my prefered method is now as follows:

Encoder: Virtualdub

Codec: Xvid 2pass

Filters: Resize - Crop (If needed) - Sharpen 20 (The most important choice)

Audio: 128kbs via BeLight

---------------------------------------------------------------------

For any other file (IE not DVD quality) my prefered method is as follows:

Encoder: Mencoder via Winmenc GUI

Codec: Xvid 2pass

Filters: Resize - Hardup

Audio: 128kbs via Mencoder

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Virtualdub 2pass encoding using the sharpen filter will drastically encrease your encoding times. On average - switching this filter on will half your fps throughput via the encoder - But the rewards are worth it. Using the sharpen filter is the ONLY WAY to get an encode anywhere near Jonny's Spiderman Trailer if you want rips of around 900-950mb (1gb stick).

An average 2hr movie will take around 3.5 hours to encode on a recent PC (xp3000 / P4 2.4) + Audio encoding time - SO - If those time frames are too over the top for you dont expect anything near Jonny's original demo.

I'm using Mencoder+Winmenc for any other sources now as its fast and due to the original file not being upto standard - Its speed is worth the compromise.

I will encode a trailer using my first option later today to up to the board - but I suggest anyone who is looking for absolute quality to test the first method with the sharpen filter - It truely does make for some amazing encoding if you have the time.

All the best

J.
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

hi, jonny
- can you describe the .pmp file struture, i would like to work on it ..
- avc is not implemented in pmpmod or do you have disable it because the performance is bad ..?( i'm very interisting by nero avc encoder)
- what s the list of codec that is supported (vp6 , vp7,rv10,divx etc )?

thank s for your hard works and felicitation for the result
pmpmod is a big lesson for sony and his umd format ..

"when a standart is too closed , it's not a standart"
tanweeho

My fav encoding tools

Post by tanweeho »

For me, my fav tools are:
- Avisynth
- VirtualDubMod
- Subrip (for subtitles)
- BeSweet / LampMp3

For DVDs, i will need additional tools:
- DVDShrink
- DGMPGDec

Only these tools can give me the better flexibility and controls over the encodings.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Itaintrite wrote:
wooolF wrote:Here's my try with WinMEnc 0.5x

Source:

Result:
11.76mb
+2min @ 482x272
-sws 9 (lanczos)
XViD 2 pass @ 1200kbps

Isn't this...illegal?
No... I own that DVD and I haven't put whole movie out for the public, just a little part of it (~2mins). Movie is from '94, made hell of a money, nobody will die, I'm pretty sure...
jonny

Post by jonny »

@k0nan & hyedipin:

you have all the infos to replicate the encode ( this means that you should learn somewhere what quant=4 mean :P ).
you can follow the guide on my site (provided by EdwardFMA), only jump the step n. 15

i suggest: http://www.doom9.org/ (get skilled on avisynth, vdub, divx/xvid configuration)

@excalibur:
- can you describe the .pmp file struture, i would like to work on it ..
it is somewhere in this thread :)
- avc is not implemented in pmpmod or do you have disable it because the performance is bad ..?
yes, can't be used really right now for performance reasons
- what s the list of codec that is supported (vp6 , vp7,rv10,divx etc )?
http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/pmp_mod/container.htm

soon i'll probably go to extend the pmp's internals (right now is really minimal, expecially on the audio side)
miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

Pre-Final build of PMP Simple Converter 0.07 screenshot preview

You can see and compare the feature that had added since
Version 0.06

From version 0.07 skin is changable

%%
If anyone interest to create their own skin for PMP Simple Converter

Please follow the Skin Image Spec:

Resolution = 890x550
Format = jpeg and png (for transparency)
transparency = Yellow

%%

Releasing soon...
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Sounds nice miemt11 :D
Nebur

Post by Nebur »

miemt11 wrote:Pre-Final build of PMP Simple Converter 0.07 screenshot preview

You can see and compare the feature that had added since
Version 0.06

From version 0.07 skin is changable

%%
If anyone interest to create their own skin for PMP Simple Converter

Please follow the Skin Image Spec:

Resolution = 890x550
Format = jpeg and png (for transparency)
transparency = Yellow

%%

Releasing soon...

Please don't forget to add a subtitles option ;)

Tnx a lot (i think it have good loocking ^^)
dbl

More recommended video and audio settings

Post by dbl »

I've been doing a lot more experimentation with mencoder since my last post, and thought I would post some updates, this is by no means definitive, but will be useful to many I think:

Audio

The biggest thing I've found is that using besweet for audio rather than mencoder improves both quality and flexibility for only a small time penalty.

Most importantly it has a very good algorithm available for boosting audio (particularly dialogue), this is really useful when using dvd as the source as dvd has such a wide dynamic range. I think listening to un-boosted dvd-audio on a plane for example would be nearly impossible as the dialogue would be so quiet.

Here's a good command-line to use for besweet:

Code: Select all

BeSweet -core( -input input.vob -output output_PMP.mp3 ) -azid( -c heavy --maximise -L -3db ) -ssrc( --rate 44100 ) -lame( -b 160 ) -boost( /l=0.5 /b=3 )
If you don't want any boost, just drop "-boost( /l=0.5 /b=3 )" from the command-line above.
To adjust the boost, experiment with the value of /b. 3 works well in most cases, going higher carries the risk of over doing it and introducing unwanted distortion.

Video

For two-pass encoding I'd still recommend the same command-lines as before (except now with the audio dropped, and use besweet instead):

mencoder input.vob -sws 9 -vf harddup,scale=480:272 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:vhq:turbo -nosound

mencoder input.vob -sws 9 -vf harddup,scale=480:272 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2:vhq:vbitrate=%vrate% -nosound -o output_PMP.avi
However, for higher quality (and much higher speed), one pass quantizer-based encoding is the way to go. The catch however is that filesizes are a bit unpredictable, so if you only have a 1gb memstick and want to encode whole movies this method is probably not for you. If you've got a 2gb stick it can be very useful:

mencoder input.vob -sws 9 -vf harddup,scale=480:272 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=3:vhq -nosound -o output_PMP.avi
Try experimenting with the value of vqscale, values from 7 to 3 are the most useful (the lower the number, the higher the quality and therefore the bigger the filesize).

Bear in mind that quantizer based encoded is intended for making a video have the same quality throughout, it is not intended for hitting a target filesize.

-----------------
I hope that is useful to a few people, I'm certainly doing all my encodes in one-pass mode now and using besweet for the audio.
As before I'm a happy to post a batch-file that does it all, but PMPverter and Simple Converter are both looking very good now, maybe the authors could integrate this stuff in as options? *hint hint* :)

<dbl>
jonny

Post by jonny »

However, for higher quality (and much higher speed), one pass quantizer-based encoding is the way to go. The catch however is that filesizes are a bit unpredictable
i have dedicated to this subject a lot of time, using "Enc" (a tool from my site), you can actually predict the size of a quality based encode in ~5 minutes, with an error around 1-2% (basic avisynth-vdub-xvid knowledge is required)
you can also see how different resizing methods & filters modify the final size
Dalek

Post by Dalek »

Hi Jonny,

love the program, it's an absolute winner! And the Malloc mods are spot on too. In fact, so impressed was I that I rushed out and bought the Datel 4GB HDD to store movies on....

I bet you know what's coming next!

That's right, 99.99% of all my conversions stutter badly when playing from the HDD.

I know you're working for nothing, and as such have no obligation to do anything, but it'd be cool if there was some kind of fix for this in the next issue! :)

Keep up the great work guys.
psp360

Post by psp360 »

k0nan/xxxstarmanxxx/ and wooolF: thanks for the feedback, I feel impowered now...I am a nut for high quilty...makes the eyecandy super good, so dont' really care if it takes several hours. I like the dumd look on my friends faces when i show them a movie clip and tell them its a rip and is running from my card....in fact I think the madagascar trailer is better than DVD quality...I have never seen a DVD movie look that good. I guess the secret is in that sharpening setting. So miemt11 if it is not to much trouble can you add that sharpening option as a default setting in your next release.

thanks
hyedipin

Post by hyedipin »

That's right, 99.99% of all my conversions stutter badly when playing from the HDD.

Are you sure it is not the transfer rate from your HDD to PSP ? I have no clue how those 4GB drives work in essence, but try to rip a shorter version of the same file and try it out of MemStick and see if it stutters..

Also experiment w/different encoding settings.

jonny, you are right, I will get deeper into this topic and try to learn a bit more, after following up for so long I don't even remember what was written on which page, but will get to it :)

And, as for my AC3 problems, I guess I have to get the latest or re-install AC3 codec, because vdub is giving me hell with it.

Thanks again.

---

Also, in this topic, search for yoshaw's post, which will give you all the basics you need to convert DVD rips into somewhat higher quality pmps.
Jan 18th v.0.07 - PMP Simple Converter by miemt11 to use with PMP MOD Player on your PSP PACKAGED ready. http://rapidshare.de/files/11293003/PMP ... k.rar.html
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=33359#33359
csuper

Post by csuper »

About Read/Write datarate, does someone known the big differences between the following Memory Sticks :
- MSXM2-GS (that i've got)
- MSXM2-GN (seems a HighSpeed MS...)
or SANDISK MS...

Maybe the stutering problem is just a reading performance pb ?

@ Jonny & All :
What is the MS you got and do you encounter stutering on your MS/video...easily ?

csuper.

Damm if I bought the wrong MS... :(
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

csuper wrote:About Read/Write datarate, does someone known the big differences between the following Memory Sticks :
- MSXM2-GS (that i've got)
- MSXM2-GN (seems a HighSpeed MS...)
or SANDISK MS...
http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-20872-2229-x-x-x
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

psp360 wrote:k0nan/xxxstarmanxxx/ and wooolF: thanks for the feedback, I feel impowered now...I am a nut for high quilty...makes the eyecandy super good, so dont' really care if it takes several hours. I like the dumd look on my friends faces when i show them a movie clip and tell them its a rip and is running from my card....in fact I think the madagascar trailer is better than DVD quality...I have never seen a DVD movie look that good. I guess the secret is in that sharpening setting. So miemt11 if it is not to much trouble can you add that sharpening option as a default setting in your next release.

thanks
couldn't be agreed any more =) quality is the most important thing ;) (otherwise you could just watch MP4). And yeh, miemt11, could be nice if you've added it =)