PS2Link to trasfer to/from memory card?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

rage12345

PS2Link to trasfer to/from memory card?

Post by rage12345 »

Commerical utilies such as the X-Port or SharkPort allow you to copy game saves between your PC and the memory card. Unfortunately, you need a special USB Cable (btw, does anyon know if this cable is analogous to crossover RJ45?) that is near impossible to get.

Is it possible to use PS2Link to transfer files to a from my memory card from my PC?
pixel

Post by pixel »

You mess up things :-)

There is actually three ways for the PC and the PS2 to communicate.

-) The official sony method, which uses a firewire cable, alvailable only for the official developpers, and is bundled with the whole devkit package
-) The official Action Replay method, which uses a PL-2301 USB<-->USB network cable, into the software X-Port. Note that you can also use the same cable and naplink (to run nPort), if you can run CDRs on your PS2.
-) The PS2LINK (PUKKLINK) method, which uses the ethernet adaptor of the PS2, connected to your comp, that would allow you to run nPort as well as the naplink method.

So, since you have the ethernet thing, you might want to run ps2link (and nPort afterward), if you can run CDRs on your PS2.
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
rage12345

Post by rage12345 »

My setup is as follows:

router (coyotelinux): 192.168.0.50
XP machine: 192.168.0.1
redhat 7.0: 192.168.0.4
PS2 v7 w/magic V: 192.168.0.7

Here's a crude diagram:

modem --> router --> switch --> PS2; redhat; XP

NOTE: the PS2, redhat, and XP are plugged into their own port on the switch (I can't have many continuous spaces in a line of text :( )

I downloaded the PS2LINK software. Opened the .iso file using ISOBuster and replaced the IPCONFIG.DAT file it with my own containing the line

192.168.0.7 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.50

I then saved the .iso file and burned it to a Taiyo Yuden CD using Alcohol 120% v1.4.7.1005 and the DOA / SOA option. The CD won't load in my PS2. It brings up the browser screen with the CD (colored blue, not gold, which it calls a PlayStation 2 disc) and the memory card. Do I need to have a certain amount of space free on my PS2 memory card before anything works? I currently have ~350kBs.

I have a burnt copy of the X-Port v2 software which loads fine on my PS2 so I know it can load CDRs (I can't get my hands on a USB--USB link cable though).
pixel

Post by pixel »

You messed up the iso file as well :-P

Just burn the basic iso, it will work. The gateway won't be necessary for you. And 192.168.0.10 should be enough.

(Anyway, having a gateway != .1 is nasty...)
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
rage12345

Post by rage12345 »

thanks, i'll give it a try soon.
btw, can i put a regular 40GB HDD in my ps2 (e.g., maxtor diamondmax plus 9)? if so, how would I format it?
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

When burning a disc, make sure you burn as mode2/xa.
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Just a clarification - the official Sony devkit (the TOOL) uses an ethernet connection, not a firewire connection. If you use Proview or other Sony tools, then you can use a firewire connection to a Test or Debug station. TOOLs, TESTs, and DEBUGs, are seperate things :).
pixel

Post by pixel »

Well, I actually read that about the specs of the DTL-10000, I don't own one ^^; So I do not know the details.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

pixel wrote: -) The official Action Replay method, which uses a PL-2301 USB<-->USB network cable, into the software X-Port. Note that you can also use the same cable and naplink (to run nPort), if you can run CDRs on your PS2.
I'd just like to point out that this isn't necisarilly true. There are at least two different chipsets the Xport (aka Sharkport, depending when you purchased it) could be using. The Prolific PL2301 which is compatible with naplink, and the Cypres AN2720 which is NOT compatible with naplink.
Buying an xport doesn't neccisarily mean it will work with naplink. However if you have either of those cables laying around it should work with the xport software...
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
rage12345

Post by rage12345 »

Thanks for all the info.

I ended up downloading PS2Link, burning that on a CD-R and booting the PS2 with it. From there, I use PS2Client which allows me to send commands to the PS2. It allows me to run a program called NPort which performs the same features (copying/moving memory card saves from PS2 to PC and back). I can use other utilities which allow me to convert .xps saves to .npo saves (seems similiar to converting between .rar and .zip for example). This way I'm able to download the saves from places like gamefaqs.com. (fyi: I have a Magic V modchip so booting the CD-R is not an issue).

All the relevant programs can be found at:
ps2dev.org
www.ps2savetools.com

The benefit here is that it's via ethernet so the PS2 and PC don't need to be in the same room.

...the trouble you go through to save a few bucks (not to mention that it's near impossible to find an XPort in Canada).

Hopefully this helps someone!
pixel

Post by pixel »

Errrr, this is the 3rd possibility I told you before.