PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

LaMa

Post by LaMa »

My results, with a 2GB SanDisk Pro Duo:

fps = 1556
jonny

Post by jonny »

thanks LaMa,

i've duplicated the message here, so it remains at the start of this page

I've uploaded a benchmark to test the speed of memstick/hdd used:

http://rapidshare.de/files/11252151/PMP ... n.rar.html

it basically read video/audio frames and report the speed based on video frames per second

my results:

-1GB sandisk (memstick duo pro): 1555 fps
-original 32MB memstick: 549 fps

i'm interested on speed with different memsticks and really interested on the hdd results.
every report is really appreciated

PS: do not change the testing clip, or the results will not be comparable
Eingang

Sharpening

Post by Eingang »

My dear ones, again I recommend you the following procedure, which produces optimal results - whoever does not believe me should just try it and see himself: Vobs encoded in this way even do look BETTER than UMD-Video. It depends on UMD quality which is different in each UMD... some are better, some less. And: the result does not get better with HDTV sources - I tested myself. Even better: I couldn´t reach the same quality with HDTV.

Here we go again (using Vdub and DivX):

1) FIRST filter has to be sharpening at value 20. Do not use more or less. Use cropping with this filter.

This has to be at first position, cause here the original video in source size is sharpened. If this filter is used secondly, it will sharpen the smaller resized video and result is really bad. If you use this filter normally, the video does look bad, but after resizing it looks great again.... it´s like that "oversharping" transports the sharpness of the original source into the small resize.....

2) Resize, and do not forget to use Lanczos - it has to be Lanczos, any other filter produces bad results, I tried them all, believe me.

3) Use at least 2-pass, better 7 or 8 pass.

Do not forget to determine the exact source aspect ratio (which is different in each case and rarely what´s written on the package) and the exact pixels to be cut.

I guarantee you, you will be overwhelmed by the quality, it´s absolutely perfect, eye candy ! (okay, in very demanding scenes it stutters, but that´s really very rarerly - maybe lower bitrates will solve that up as I use 1500kbit) I will post a sample later on as a proof. One movie needs ca 30 hours with my 3,6Ghz P4 HT and file size gets around 1,5GB...

@Jonny

Of course you are right - I guess the bottleneck was somwhere in my head..... :) 1500kbit are somewhat 180kbyte and transfer speed should at least be 1 - 1,5MB in worst case scenario... imho - anyway, if some more seconds would be preencoded, maybe 5, this should help... or is there still some misunderstanding on my side ???

And some question..... would it be possible for you to implement adusting of :

- Lightness
- Brightness
- Saturation
- Gamma
- Hue
- Contrast
- Color Balance

Also what about two audio channels and subtitles ?
drcharris

HDD test results

Post by drcharris »

Just got my HDD today. This is on a UK PSP, 1.50 BIOS (downgraded from 2.00) if that makes any difference.

4GB HDD - 75 fps

I did two runs, with identical results.

The HDD seems to handle playback OK for movies encoded as 500kbps, but fast-forward stutters a bit - nowhere near as smooth as on a memory stick.

Hope that helps.

c
Dalek

Post by Dalek »

Hi Jonny.

On my Datel 4GB drive, running 1.50, and using the standard PSP battery I get:-

78.11fps

Staggering difference between the HDD and Memory sticks so far!!

Thanks again for all your efforts, Jonny.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Of course you are right - I guess the bottleneck was somwhere in my head..... :)
lol that was funny :D
anyway, if some more seconds would be preencoded, maybe 5, this should help... or is there still some misunderstanding on my side ???
buffering needs ram, the limit is around 25-26 frames (~14MB are dedicated only to av buffering)
(about the other requests, everything is possible, but i have some more important things to do before)

4GB HDD - 75 fps & 78.11fps
this is a probem
Sorted

Post by Sorted »

One movie needs ca 30 hours with my 3,6Ghz P4 HT and file size gets around 1,5GB... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

save the electricity and buy the UMD!
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

jonny wrote:
buffering needs ram, the limit is around 25-26 frames (~14MB are dedicated only to av buffering)
(about the other requests, everything is possible, but i have some more important things to do before)
Ooooh. Doesn´t PSP use 32MB RAM and additional 4MB DRAM ? Maybe just a second more.... ??? Yes or no ?

My test results :

2GB Sony High Speed: 956
2GB Sony Black : 374,8
1GB Sony Yellow : 1555
128MB Sony blue : 833,55

Hmmm... 374,8 ... should be enough..... ?? Never had problems with this stick playing movies....
AZImmortal

Post by AZImmortal »

Lexar Platinum 1gb = 1222.25 fps
yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

jonny wrote:thanks LaMa,

i've duplicated the message here, so it remains at the start of this page

I've uploaded a benchmark to test the speed of memstick/hdd used:

http://rapidshare.de/files/11252151/PMP ... n.rar.html

it basically read video/audio frames and report the speed based on video frames per second

my results:

-1GB sandisk (memstick duo pro): 1555 fps
-original 32MB memstick: 549 fps

i'm interested on speed with different memsticks and really interested on the hdd results.
every report is really appreciated

PS: do not change the testing clip, or the results will not be comparable
1GB Sandisk duo pro = 1545 fps
Santojob

Post by Santojob »

My results :

Sony Memory Stick DUO 32 MB = 568 fps
Sony Memory Stick PRO DUO 1 GB = 380 fps
ScanDisk Memory Stick PRO DUO 1 GB = 1556 fps

Incredible the difference, with the Sony I have many problems especially on having reproduced the sound
NyNex

Post by NyNex »

Results:

Datel 4GB HDD = 80.68 fps LOL!
Sony Memory Stick Duo 32MB = 514.85 fps
So Solid Jedi

Re: Sharpening

Post by So Solid Jedi »

Eingang wrote:My dear ones, again I recommend you the following procedure, which produces optimal results - whoever does not believe me should just try it and see himself: Vobs encoded in this way even do look BETTER than UMD-Video. It depends on UMD quality which is different in each UMD... some are better, some less. And: the result does not get better with HDTV sources - I tested myself. Even better: I couldn´t reach the same quality with HDTV.

Here we go again (using Vdub and DivX):

1) FIRST filter has to be sharpening at value 20. Do not use more or less. Use cropping with this filter.

This has to be at first position, cause here the original video in source size is sharpened. If this filter is used secondly, it will sharpen the smaller resized video and result is really bad. If you use this filter normally, the video does look bad, but after resizing it looks great again.... it´s like that "oversharping" transports the sharpness of the original source into the small resize.....

2) Resize, and do not forget to use Lanczos - it has to be Lanczos, any other filter produces bad results, I tried them all, believe me.

3) Use at least 2-pass, better 7 or 8 pass.

Do not forget to determine the exact source aspect ratio (which is different in each case and rarely what´s written on the package) and the exact pixels to be cut.

I guarantee you, you will be overwhelmed by the quality, it´s absolutely perfect, eye candy ! (okay, in very demanding scenes it stutters, but that´s really very rarerly - maybe lower bitrates will solve that up as I use 1500kbit) I will post a sample later on as a proof. One movie needs ca 30 hours with my 3,6Ghz P4 HT and file size gets around 1,5GB...

@Jonny

Of course you are right - I guess the bottleneck was somwhere in my head..... :) 1500kbit are somewhat 180kbyte and transfer speed should at least be 1 - 1,5MB in worst case scenario... imho - anyway, if some more seconds would be preencoded, maybe 5, this should help... or is there still some misunderstanding on my side ???

And some question..... would it be possible for you to implement adusting of :

- Lightness
- Brightness
- Saturation
- Gamma
- Hue
- Contrast
- Color Balance

Also what about two audio channels and subtitles ?
Thanks for the tips, they do indeed work, i managed to encode an episode of Little Britain using the settings posted above, although i only ran a 2 Pass it was enough and has made a big difference, i really wanna try this out on a feature length movie now such as my Spiderman DVD but unfortunatly it will have to wait until i get a bigger memory stick ie. a 2GB one, i'm currently using a Sony High Speed 1 Gig.
Again thanks for the headsup! Regarding the cropping for the first filter ie Sharpen, does it work? i hav'nt tried this yet? i noticed when i played back the Little Britain PMP that the video had a small black border either side of the PSP screen as opposed to the usual borders that run along the top. I checked the original Vob and it also has this. What i would like to know is if i can use the cropping feature to remove this small black border, will it work? Can Anyone shed any light on this?
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

Sony Memory Stick Pro Duo High Speed 2gb 947fps
miemt11

PMP Simple Converter 0.07 for PMPMOD, Develop by miemt11

Post by miemt11 »

%----------------------------------------%
PMP Simple Converter 0.07 for PMPMOD
Develop by miemt11 Date 18 Jan 2006
%----------------------------------------%

For latest version and feedback visit here

Official - PMP Simple Converter Thread:
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=4691

Convert any video (rmvb, avi, mpg, wmv, asf, vob) to PSP PMP format
%==================================================================%

Download Here
http://rapidshare.de/files/11265176/PMP ... 7.rar.html
or
http://s25.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1VA5 ... K2B3B57E8H
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W3QFI69Q

Change from version 0.06

1: Add new Batch Conversion Mode with no limit (Now you can encode more than one video at a time)
Select your input and output video and than click on the add batch button

2: Able to encoding all or selected only

3: Complete New PMP simple Converter GUI Design

4: Extra Video and General command switch option (now you can add additional filter and general setting)
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mpl ... ml#GENERAL ENCODING OPTIONS (MENCODER ONLY)

5: Simple file size calculator (Total MB per hours)

6: no need rm.exe program anymore (using internal command)

7: fix the open file dialog

8: Enable better rmvb and wmv encoding

9: Skin Changer for PMP Simple Converter

%%
If anyone interest to create their own skin for PMP Simple Converter

Please follow the Skin Image Spec:

Resolution = 890x550
Format = jpeg, png and bmp
transparency = Yellow

%%

10: fps default is 25
11: harddup is enable by default

You can see and compare the feature that had added since
Version 0.06

Version 0.08 to do list:

planning ....

Component Requirement:

1: Get all the mencoder component from here
http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
and install all any directory you like. e.g. C:\Mencoder

2: Put pmp_muxer.exe to the install directory e.g. C:\Mencoder
from here http://jonny.leffe.dnsalias.com/pmp_mod ... r_1_00.rar

3: Now extract my PMP Simple .exe to the install directory e.g. C:\Mencoder
http://rapidshare.de/files/11265176/PMP ... 7.rar.html
or
http://s25.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1VA5 ... K2B3B57E8H
or
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W3QFI69Q

4: .Net Framework Runtime 2.00 from here
http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... tnetfx.exe
reveine

Post by reveine »

@ jonny

I would like to help you test too but it's impossible for me and perhaps all people from my country to download anything from http://rapidshare.de becoz all isps in Thailand use proxy-servers. So could anyone please upload the tester to somewhere like www.yousendit.com ? I'd appreciate very much.
ヽ(`ー`)ノエルメス
..(__)__
|電車男|~~
◎ ̄ ̄ ̄◎ ころころ~
RATiX

Post by RATiX »

Nice MS benchmarks! What I would like to see is a comparison between a SanDisk 1GB PRO Duo (what I have) versus the SanDisk Ultra II (more expensive) PRO Duo. I wonder if the Ultra II is really faster. Also, the main difference in speeds seems to come from the fact that some sticks are PRO and others aren't... Although I suppose that that is evident from the PRO specifications.
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

SanDisk > Sony.
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

hi jonny thanks for your reponse , but my question is..:
can you write a white paper specification of pmp container

the header file , the raw video and sound..

.. anybody can help you for use idct hardware..?
.. i have see lib video codec in firmware may be it s possible call "api' ...
(it s only suggestion..)
thanks and have a good day..
xxxstarmanxxx

Mencoder sharpening

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

Just to let anyone experimenting with mencoder settings know that there is a sharpening filter available which produces much the same as Virtualdub does.

Add it to your filters setting after ,hardup................

unsharp[=l|cWxH:amount[:l|cWxH:amount]]
unsharp mask / gaussian blur
l
Apply effect on luma component.
c
Apply effect on chroma components.
<width>x<height>
width and height of the matrix, odd sized in both directions (min = 3x3, max = 13x11 or 11x13, usually something between 3x3 and 7x7)
amount
Relative amount of sharpness/blur to add to the image (a sane range should be -1.5-1.5).
<0: blur
>0: sharpen

So to sharpen source add:

,unsharp=l3x3:1:c3x3:1

I haven't experimented with the Luma/chroma height/widths yet but it seems to encode well using this filter switched on - although about as slowly as Vdub does with sharpening 20

All the best

J.
Last edited by xxxstarmanxxx on Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

@jonny
Lexar (black color), MS Duo Pro 1Gb 1229.38 fps (run twice with same result)

@miemt11
great job dude! will check it asap... off to bed now, I'm sick like hell :/
TheChief

Post by TheChief »

Hi all,

First post here, Ive been following these PMP threads for a while and this is the first time that Ive been able to help out :-)

I tested with my 2G Black Sony Pro Duo "High Speed" card

I ran it 4 times and heres the lowest and highest results

Big thanks to Jonny and everybody else who had a hand in making this PSP Mod a reality.
This is the main thing i wanted to be able to do with my PSP and i now can so Thanks again
wooolF

Re: Mencoder sharpening

Post by wooolF »

xxxstarmanxxx wrote:So to sharpen source add:

,unsharp l3x3:1:c3x3:1
Should be
,unsharp=l3x3:1:c3x3:1

or it wont work =)

also size difference is quite a big...

4mins15secs clip from Matrix2 (where the woman at the restaurant get a desert(cake), then you can see her legs spread and she havin' an orgasm)

Results:
MATRIX_R.XviD.notsharp.768kbps.pmp - 25,9 MB
MATRIX_R.XviD.notsharp.1200kbps.pmp - 32,9 MB
MATRIX_R.XviD.notsharp.maxsize.pmp - 33,3 MB
MATRIX_R.XviD.sharp.768kbps.pmp - 26,0 MB
MATRIX_R.XviD.sharp.1200kbps.pmp - 38,8 MB
MATRIX_R.XviD.sharp.maxsize.pmp - 48,9 MB

Conclusions:
1) sharp editions looked much better/crisp then notsharp ones.
2) 768kbps is not usable for the movies imho, edges are kind of blurry
3) 1200kbps seemed to look very crisp and clean (the sharp edition), notsharp edition was good too, but not "crystal clear"

Notes:
1) "maxsize" means kbps is controlled by XViD codec, it just had to fit on 1Gb stick (approx.bitrate is about 1700kbps)
2) 112kbps audio bitrate was used
3) Source file was Matrix Reloaded DVD

Note to people who got Matrix2, try to encode that scene to PMP. It's very very detailed and my PSP had problems with following up, I got lots of frame skips and audio stuttering when woman/cake were shown in Matrix code (green). Otherwise scene showed perfect.
Last edited by wooolF on Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

RATiX wrote:Nice MS benchmarks! What I would like to see is a comparison between a SanDisk 1GB PRO Duo (what I have) versus the SanDisk Ultra II (more expensive) PRO Duo. I wonder if the Ultra II is really faster. Also, the main difference in speeds seems to come from the fact that some sticks are PRO and others aren't... Although I suppose that that is evident from the PRO specifications.
Ultra II is faster :) Theoretically up to 10mb/s write, practically 9mb/s.
Pro Duo stats (practical) can be seen here: http://hardware.gamespot.com/Story-ST-20872-2229-x-x-x
psp360

Post by psp360 »

wooolF: Hey so I guess we still need this as a default in PMP simple, maybe even option to increase or decrease sharpness. for now i will try it as instructed, tanks dude:)
jonny

Post by jonny »

I've collected some of the data submitted

I've calculated an extimated value that gives you an idea about the incidence of the reading speed in the whole decoding process.
Example:

Code: Select all

32MB Sony Duo  544 fps  -2.07 fps
this means that you lose 2.07 fps, compared to an ideal case where the reading routines have zero cost

2GB SanDisk Duo Pro          1556 fps   -0.75 fps
1GB SanDisk Duo Pro          1555 fps   -0.75 fps
1GB Sony Yellow              1555 fps   -0.75 fps
1GB Lexar Duo Pro Black      1229 fps   -0.95 fps
1GB Lexar Platinum           1222 fps   -0.95 fps
2GB Sony High Speed Duo Pro  1225 fps   -0.95 fps
2GB Sony High Speed Duo Pro   952 fps   -1.21 fps
128MB Sony Blue               834 fps   -1.38 fps
32MB Sony Duo                 544 fps   -2.07 fps
1GB Sony Duo Pro              380 fps   -2.89 fps
2GB Sony Black                375 fps   -2.93 fps
Datel 4GB                      78 fps  -10.64 fps
you could start see little performance degradation around 500fps-400fps
obviously the hdd have a huge penality with the current code

this is the formula to extimate the incidence:

1 / &#40;1 / 45 + 1 / 150&#41; - 1 / &#40;1 / 45 + 1 / 150 + 1 / YOUR_SPEED_HERE&#41;

Probably 1 or more public tests will follow (give me the time to experiment)
(i could also pm hdd users for more specific tests)
Nebur

Re: PMP Simple Converter 0.07 for PMPMOD, Develop by miemt11

Post by Nebur »

miemt11 wrote:
Version 0.08 to do list:

planning ....
Awesome version 0.07, for 0.08 is it possible to add subtitles suppot like PSP Verter?

Thanks.
kaveman

Post by kaveman »

miemt11

brilliant work - now with the scommand line parsing, we can really thrash the hell out of the encoder to find the best settings :D

the sharpening filters seem to work well, and removing the ofps switch allows the encoder to use the default (inherited) fps from source file which is great. time to experiment with more filters :)

just need multi-pass now ;)

i'm on holiday for a few days now, and am looking forward to coming back to some more amazing work.

in the meantime, time to convert some vids to keep me occupied on the plane!
Dalek

Post by Dalek »

Jonny,

feel free to PM me or email me at dalekirkley(at)freenet.co.uk, I'd be more than happy to help with your HDD tests. :)
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Since I do all of my conversions in mencoder, did anyone managed to crop the black bars a the top and bottom with it? I couldn't see that option in manual, but probably i jumped it over... I'm 95% sure it's not possible with mencoder, but anyways... hope dies last =)

basically... I'm more then happy with my mencoder expirience right now... it's more or less "1 click solution" (when everything is configured right). If only I could crop the input video with it... no other apps needed :P