PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

djamm

Post by djamm »

wooolF wrote:Here's my try to get the best quality at reasonable (or not) size with DiVX...

Result : 480x272 pixels, Q3 VBR, lots of other video filters to optimize the quality, 128kbps CBR audio, 34Mb
All done with WinMEnc 0.5x and latest mencoder (from 01.01.2006).
could you please save your profile.ini and post it or upload it too yousendit :)

I really like the quality you were able to achieve with the matrix scene!
-just to expand on this....I did not recieve any skipping what so ever...and the picture quality was very good. I did notice a little shadow around neo on some parts but other than that it was close to perfect!

And thanks for all the info and advise for encoding. It has made it a lot easier to get better results. One thing I have noticed makes a big difference is the quality of the source. The higher the resolution and bitrate of the source the more "crystal" the end result seems to be...even when lowering the encoding rates!

cheers and thanks again!

~djamm
Last edited by djamm on Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

I'll wait for more people to report... if there are no problems, I'll make a tutorial. =) Until now I'll fiddle with it some more =)

PS: To report the quality of my latest DiVX encodings to PMP, please see http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=34048#34048 , thank you.
csuper

Post by csuper »

wooolF wrote:Here's my try to get the best quality at reasonable (or not) size with DiVX. Took me about 16 reencodings to get to this quality WITHOUT any audio distortion.

Source : Matrix 2 DVD, scene 15
Duration : About 3mins
Result : 480x272 pixels, Q3 VBR, lots of other video filters to optimize the quality, 128kbps CBR audio, 34Mb

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0C01 ... 00AFRGXCCU

I would like to hear some comments on the quality and if people have ANY audio distortion at all...

PS: Do NOT report any audio distortion if you're not using the default original PMP Mod by jonny.

PS2: IF you use any other mod (not by jonny) and you have NO audio distortion, please report.
I will try that asap.

Is this a know scene where it is easy to get audio stutering ... ?

csuper.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

csuper wrote:
wooolF wrote:Here's my try to get the best quality at reasonable (or not) size with DiVX. Took me about 16 reencodings to get to this quality WITHOUT any audio distortion.

Duration : About 3mins

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0C01 ... 00AFRGXCCU

I would like to hear some comments on the quality and if people have ANY audio distortion at all...

PS: Do NOT report any audio distortion if you're not using the default original PMP Mod by jonny.

PS2: IF you use any other mod (not by jonny) and you have NO audio distortion, please report.
I will try that asap.

Is this a know scene where it is easy to get audio stutering ... ?

csuper.
Thank you.
And yes, since there are +100 moving objects all the time at same time...
Guide/tutorial for converting DVD (and other normal files) to PMP at best quality possible (works for me) avoiding the usual audio stuttering and ghosting problems.

http://maxt.dk/archives/2006/02/01/dvd-to-psp/
hyedipin

Post by hyedipin »

Yeah, sorry, the link I gave is for P4 / Centrino / alike family of processors.
Jan 18th v.0.07 - PMP Simple Converter by miemt11 to use with PMP MOD Player on your PSP PACKAGED ready. http://rapidshare.de/files/11293003/PMP ... k.rar.html
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=33359#33359
ClonePSP

Post by ClonePSP »

I have tried both XVid and DivX to encode the same material and get audio skipping.

- 2 Pass
- bitrate 900 / 1000 / 1200 and 1500 (all skip audio in same scene)

I encoded these using VirtualDUBMod.

If we could work out what the max bitrate was that the PSP could cope with in a single scene or frame then surely we could set the codec to cap at that rate when doing our encodes. Anyone tried anything like this.

ClonePSP.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

ClonePSP wrote:I have tried both XVid and DivX to encode the same material and get audio skipping.

- 2 Pass
- bitrate 900 / 1000 / 1200 and 1500 (all skip audio in same scene)

I encoded these using VirtualDUBMod.

If we could work out what the max bitrate was that the PSP could cope with in a single scene or frame then surely we could set the codec to cap at that rate when doing our encodes. Anyone tried anything like this.

ClonePSP.
I had XViD @ 800-900kbps playing wery well without video stuttering. And right now I have DiVX +1300kbps playing very well too without any problems (see the link in my signature).

It depends more on which and *how* you've used different video filters available. The bitrate is the main reason to audio stuttering, yes... Bigger bitrate means more chances for stuttering. But, I can get same video that haven't stuttered before to stutter if I use for example Qpel or Trellis.
Guide/tutorial for converting DVD (and other normal files) to PMP at best quality possible (works for me) avoiding the usual audio stuttering and ghosting problems.

ClonePSP

Post by ClonePSP »

mmmm, this is where I fall down. I have only just gotten into DivX/XVid encoding because I wanted 480 x 272 on the PSP so my knowledge is pretty basic at the momemnt.

I did a resize filter on VDub down to 480 x 272 using the lanzcos algorythm and the DivX setting I have left at default I think.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

ClonePSP wrote:mmmm, this is where I fall down. I have only just gotten into DivX/XVid encoding because I wanted 480 x 272 on the PSP so my knowledge is pretty basic at the momemnt.

I did a resize filter on VDub down to 480 x 272 using the lanzcos algorythm and the DivX setting I have left at default I think.
Read my signature, then read post #2 on this page =)
I'm off to gym, will be back 2h or so =)

ClonePSP

Post by ClonePSP »

Ah ok, I will download the clip and give it a go. I presume you are trying to see if the general consensus is that the quality is shit hot and the audio doesnt skip and if that seems to be true you will let us all know what the different filters and settings were that you used so we can hopefully achieve the same results.

Anyway it will be the early hours of the morning when I get to test it so I will report back then. As I am a programmer by trade I was gonna take a look at the code and have a see if any optimizations can be made but I can already say without seeing an ounce of code that its going to be pretty difficult to understand quickly and make any improvements.
csuper

Post by csuper »

wooolF wrote:Here's my try to get the best quality at reasonable (or not) size with DiVX.
1. the video won't open on PMP Mod 1.00 (frame size can't be 0)
2. the video open with 1.01
I get stutering starting from where one of the "Agent" JUMP toward Neo...

For information : I've got some shadow when NEO moves i don't remember that from the movie effect...

Also, i got a slow MS (sony 2 GB) maybe it is the difference between us ...

csuper.

I'm still interested by the Blade source ini file ;) (this one run perfectly on 1.00, not on 1.01 : 2 times, when a guy (blade?) pass through a window and in a FLAME scene with a rolling blade (nice one))

voilà...
csuper

Post by csuper »

I'm interested by Malloc PMP Mod 1.00 M2 (for testing purpose)
Can someone upload it to sendit or rapid share.

Thanx.

csuper.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

ClonePSP wrote:Ah ok, I will download the clip and give it a go. I presume you are trying to see if the general consensus is that the quality is shit hot and the audio doesnt skip and if that seems to be true you will let us all know what the different filters and settings were that you used so we can hopefully achieve the same results.
Damn right =) You got me ;)

wooolF

Post by wooolF »

csuper wrote:I'm interested by Malloc PMP Mod 1.00 M2 (for testing purpose)
Can someone upload it to sendit or rapid share.

Thanx.

csuper.
http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0UV3 ... ND236XXU31

Not sure if it's M1 or M2, but it's definetly not M3 or M4 and it worked good for me.

wooolF

Post by wooolF »

csuper wrote:
wooolF wrote:Here's my try to get the best quality at reasonable (or not) size with DiVX.
1. the video won't open on PMP Mod 1.00 (frame size can't be 0)
2. the video open with 1.01
I get stutering starting from where one of the "Agent" JUMP toward Neo...

For information : I've got some shadow when NEO moves i don't remember that from the movie effect...

Also, i got a slow MS (sony 2 GB) maybe it is the difference between us ...

csuper.
voilà...
1) I don't use harddup anymore because jonny fixed that issue in 1.01 and thus there is no need to use harddup, it only makes file bigger...
2) I've just rewatched the video and I don't have any audio stuttering problems at that point... Must be speed of the MS
3) It's so called Ghost effect which can be also seen on normal LCD monitors. If you use malloc's mod, I suggest you turn up the brightness all the way up (+4) and the "ghost effect" will be gone.

wooolF

Post by wooolF »

seems forums were down... bleh :/

uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

I have a problem with mencoder trying to make subtitles: it always prints -subfont-text-scale is not an MEncoder option
I tried not to use this option (for example: mencoder 17.avi -ovc copy -oac copy -font arial.ttf -sub 17.srt -o 17.1.avi) - no error, but output video has no subtitles :(
ClonePSP

Post by ClonePSP »

Yeah, mother flipping forums were down so I couldnt dl your sample and give it a go. Interesting point about the Sony branded 2 gig MS possibly being slow as I am using that exact same stick. I have a faster 1 gig Sandisk stick so I will try the matrix sample on both and I will also retry my own problem vid on the faster 1 gig stick.

Let you know my findings later on.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

ClonePSP wrote:Yeah, mother flipping forums were down so I couldnt dl your sample and give it a go. Interesting point about the Sony branded 2 gig MS possibly being slow as I am using that exact same stick. I have a faster 1 gig Sandisk stick so I will try the matrix sample on both and I will also retry my own problem vid on the faster 1 gig stick.

Let you know my findings later on.
Sounds perfect! =) GL

wooolF

Post by wooolF »

uNn99 wrote:I have a problem with mencoder trying to make subtitles: it always prints -subfont-text-scale is not an MEncoder option
I tried not to use this option (for example: mencoder 17.avi -ovc copy -oac copy -font arial.ttf -sub 17.srt -o 17.1.avi) - no error, but output video has no subtitles :(
Where do you put the -subfont-text-scale filter in? I've made some vids with the usage of external subs and everything was fine... Try to get the latest version of mencoder here

uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

I'm using lastest build of mencoder. For example, this command:

Code: Select all

mencoder.exe -sws 9 -subpos 85 -subfont-text-scale 4 -subfont-blur 2 -subfont-outline 2 -unicode  -font "" -vf scale=360:272,harddup -sub "I:\Filmz\psp\test_scene.srt" -ovc lavc -ffourcc DIVX -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=768:vhq:turbo:vpass=1 -nosound "I:\Filmz\psp\test_scene.avi" -o NUL: 2> 2.txt
(was created by WinMenc)
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

uNn99 wrote:I'm using lastest build of mencoder. For example, this command:

mencoder.exe -sws 9 -subpos 85 -subfont-text-scale 4 -subfont-blur 2 -subfont-outline 2 -unicode  -font "" -vf scale=360:272,harddup -sub "I:\Filmz\psp\test_scene.srt" -ovc lavc -ffourcc DIVX -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=768:vhq:turbo:vpass=1 -nosound "I:\Filmz\psp\test_scene.avi" -o NUL: 2> 2.txt
(was created by WinMenc)
1) I suggest -subpos 90 or 95
2) -subfont-text-scale should be 2
3) -subfont-blur should be 1
4) -subfont-outline should be 1
5) you forgot to specify where your font is (-font "")
-font <path to font.desc file> (OSD only)
Search for the OSD/SUB fonts in an alternative di- rectory (default for normal fonts: ~/.mplayer/font/ font.desc, default for FreeType fonts: ~/.mplayer/ subfont.ttf).
NOTE: With FreeType, this option determines the path to the text font file. With fontconfig, this option determines the fontconfig font name.
EXAMPLE:
-font ~/.mplayer/arial-14/font.desc
-font ~/.mplayer/arialuni.ttf
-font 'Bitstream Vera Sans'
On Windows that would look like

-font "c&#58;\windows\fonts\arial.ttf"
or any other font you like

k0nan

Post by k0nan »

wooolF wrote:I'll wait for more people to report... if there are no problems, I'll make a tutorial. =) Until now I'll fiddle with it some more =)
The scene plays flawless! Perfect audio throughout. I'm using raphael's GUI for malloc's M4 of jonny's PMP 1.01 (try saying that 3 times fast). The WMP background & translucent info bars are great. 1GB Sandisk MS.

wooolF, can't wait to see the details of your Winmenc/Mencoder settings. I tried Q3 for divx, and although the outputs were amazing, the pmp filesize's were somehow larger than the source, so I reverted back to 900-1200 bitrates temporarily. Also, if you'd like to try your encode settings on scene20, I wouldn't mind testing it. ;)
therock003

Post by therock003 »

WoolF

What's the meaning of harddup?And how can i put subs using mencoder?
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

Hello all - Glad to see the forum is back up.

I'll be posting/uploading my latest XVID encodes after i've done some testing on the PSP this evening.

Source VOB: Blade Trinity Trailer (as before)

Xvid encodes as follows:

All 2pass @ 368,500,768,1000,1200 for comparing.

All have been encoded via Avisynth - No filters applied in Vdub - And XVID 1.1 tweaked to hell and back!!! (ffs)

Catch you all with a post later this evening

All the best

J.
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

Hi there

just decided to post two samples ---- loaded them up a week or more ago... somehow forgot it. Oh my, it is really a hard business to pass the files such a lot of times....

okay... this is from Riddick.... first file 1500kbit 7-pass, second file 1100kbit 11-pass, both divx, forming, optimized - first file is the type of quality I expect from ALL my movies, second is just to show the difference... 1000kbit are not acceptable anymore for me

http://www.intarapm.de/7.pmp
http://www.intarapm.de/11.pmp

I muxed them with 1.00 and used to play with Malcom3..
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

therock003 wrote:WoolF

What's the meaning of harddup?And how can i put subs using mencoder?
harddup
Only useful with MEncoder. If harddup is used when encoding, it will force duplicate frames to be en- coded in the output. This uses slightly more space, but is necessary for output to MPEG files or if you plan to demux and remux the video stream af- ter encoding. Should be placed at or near the end of the filter chain unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.

wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Eingang wrote:first file 1500kbit 7-pass, second file 1100kbit 11-pass
Got too much unused CPU power, energy waster? :P

jonny

Post by jonny »

PMP Muxer v1.02 is out
fix the problem reported by ditto (the problem was related to Avidemux + bframes)
psp360

Post by psp360 »

Eingang ok i have 2 silly questions...how do you do several passes in PMP simple? Do u plan on packaging and sell your movies, I mean isn't 11 passes like over kill? anyway, I am presently downloaded your files...but on dial up it will take some time. I am all for eye candy so if this is as good as I am hoping then you need to post your method.

wooolF I have been trying to get your file downloaded for some some now...but keep getting knocked off the server. I will keep trying...any chance of doing the guide anyway. I expect this would also be VERY good quaily.

well keep up the good work guys!