PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

wooolF

Post by wooolF »

@psp360

Yeh, I'm waiting for responce from 2 people more and then I'll post the way I do it (be it the "wrong" or the "right" way) =)
Guide/tutorial for converting DVD (and other normal files) to PMP at best quality possible (works for me) avoiding the usual audio stuttering and ghosting problems.

http://maxt.dk/archives/2006/02/01/dvd-to-psp/
Fxp

Post by Fxp »

A got problems getting correct aspect ratio when converting widescreen videos (608 x 256, for example). I choose to convert to 480x272 and get vertically stretched image. What am I doing wrong?
P.S. I'm using latest Videora relase but the same happens with PMP Simple.
jo2k

Post by jo2k »

Problem is the source you used 608x256 is 2.375:1 which is not the same as 480x272 (1.765:1) - so instead of encoding them into 480x272 you sould try 480x202 w/ top & bottom black bars - or 480x200 w/o top/bottom blk bars.
Last edited by jo2k on Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
k0nan

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.

Post by k0nan »

Fxp - 272>256, so you're streching the vertical by not keeping the aspect ratio intact. 608x256 should be rescaled to 480x200 to keep the proper AR, you can then zoom later on in playback to your preference using malloc's mod. Try PSPMPverter .9.1, it has a great AR calculator.

jo2k - he wouldn't want 480x202 because 202 isn't divisible by 8.
Last edited by k0nan on Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Fxp wrote:A got problems getting correct aspect ratio when converting widescreen videos (608 x 256, for example). I choose to convert to 480x272 and get vertically stretched image. What am I doing wrong?
P.S. I'm using latest Videora relase but the same happens with PMP Simple.
7 pages back... http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?p=33386#33386
Guide/tutorial for converting DVD (and other normal files) to PMP at best quality possible (works for me) avoiding the usual audio stuttering and ghosting problems.

uNn99

Post by uNn99 »

wooolF wrote: 1) I suggest -subpos 90 or 95
2) -subfont-text-scale should be 2
3) -subfont-blur should be 1
4) -subfont-outline should be 1
5) you forgot to specify where your font is (-font "")
-font <path to font.desc file> (OSD only)
Search for the OSD/SUB fonts in an alternative di- rectory (default for normal fonts: ~/.mplayer/font/ font.desc, default for FreeType fonts: ~/.mplayer/ subfont.ttf).
NOTE: With FreeType, this option determines the path to the text font file. With fontconfig, this option determines the fontconfig font name.
EXAMPLE:
-font ~/.mplayer/arial-14/font.desc
-font ~/.mplayer/arialuni.ttf
-font 'Bitstream Vera Sans'
On Windows that would look like

Code: Select all

-font "c&#58;\windows\fonts\arial.ttf"
or any other font you like
Ok, i've taken into consideration this advices, but error is still here:

I&#58;\Filmz\psp\mencoder>"I&#58;\Filmz\psp\mencoder\mencoder.exe" -sws 9 -subpos 90 -su
bfont-text-scale 2 -subfont-blur 1 -subfont-outline 1 -unicode  -font "I&#58;\Filmz\
psp\mencoder\cp1250-a.raw" -vf scale=360&#58;272,harddup -sub "I&#58;\Filmz\psp\test_sce
ne.srt" -ovc lavc -ffourcc DIVX -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4&#58;vbitrate=768&#58;vhq&#58;turbo&#58;vp
ass=1 -nosound "I&#58;\Filmz\psp\test_scene.avi" -o NUL&#58;  2>2.txt
MEncoder dev-CVS-060101-18&#58;59-4.0.2 &#40;C&#41; 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU&#58; Advanced Micro Devices Sempron/Athlon MP/XP/XP-M Barton,Thorton &#40;Family&#58; 6,
 Stepping&#58; 0&#41;
CPUflags&#58; Type&#58; 6 MMX&#58; 1 MMX2&#58; 1 3DNow&#58; 1 3DNow2&#58; 1 SSE&#58; 1 SSE2&#58; 0
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions&#58; MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE

89 audio & 203 video codecs

Exiting... &#40;error parsing cmdline&#41;
And i'm not the only man who has this problem - they are asking me how to make mencoder work with subtitles...
Fxp

Post by Fxp »

wooolF

Post by wooolF »

@uNn99:
then the syntax is wrong... I can't pinpoint the wrong syntax right now tho'...

@Fxp:
my pleasure :)

butch1016

Post by butch1016 »

woolf - matrix quality was sweet. The LCD "ghosting" is a pain I know - although compared to AVC at 368x208 or 400x176 zoomed I aint complaining!!!

I have been trying various filters on some test scenes of my own, I would be interetsed to hear what filters you have been using. For information I have been experimenting with LimitedSharpen and XSharpen both with Udot.

Some interesting results even with bitrates down to 800kb via xvid (always 2 pass).

Cheers

Butch
ClonePSP

Post by ClonePSP »

Ok here goes, my matrix playback test results.

1 Gig Fast SanDisk
----------------------
If played from start to finish with no searching, no audio skipping apart from a tiny bit near the end.

If I then search back and forward, parts that didnt audio skip before now do so.

2 Gig Slow Sony Stick
--------------------------
Same as above but audio skip was just a miniscule bit more.

Tried on original 1.01 version of PMP Mod.

It seem the source code could be a good place to try and improve things here aswell as encode settings.

I would love to try your settings on my own problem source material. Please share dear chap.
therock003

Post by therock003 »

wooolF wrote:
therock003 wrote:WoolF

What's the meaning of harddup?And how can i put subs using mencoder?
harddup
Only useful with MEncoder. If harddup is used when encoding, it will force duplicate frames to be en- coded in the output. This uses slightly more space, but is necessary for output to MPEG files or if you plan to demux and remux the video stream af- ter encoding. Should be placed at or near the end of the filter chain unless you have a good reason to do otherwise.
Ok thanx and as for including subtitles,how can it be done using mencoder?
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

therock003 wrote:Ok thanx and as for including subtitles,how can it be done using mencoder?

-sub <subtitlefile1,subtitlefile2,...>
	Use/display these subtitle files. Only one file can be displayed at the same time.
That should be enough... as said, I tried with 2-3 encodings with subs, all worked fine... I haven't invistigated more into that area... Try to look here for all available filters for the subtitles

wooolF

Post by wooolF »

butch1016 wrote:I would be interetsed to hear what filters you have been using. For information I have been experimenting with LimitedSharpen and XSharpen both with Udot.
As I do my encodings only with mencoder, I'm limited to mencoder xvid video filters. They can be found here : http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mpl ... ER%20ONLY) (under xvidenc (-xvidencopts)). Some of the filters I've used are : vhq, chroma_opt, quant_type, qpel, unsharp etc =)

wooolF

Post by wooolF »

ClonePSP wrote:I would love to try your settings on my own problem source material. Please share dear chap.
Thanks for the "review" and I'll get my ass in gear tomorrow to post my settings/guide =)

Raphael

Post by Raphael »

@wooolF:
Regarding your matrix encodes, I did a quick test with profiling enabled on the video output and found that with your videos (I tested the 768 and 1200kbit versions) the CPU stalls are much higher than with any other video. This alone isnt enough information, but it's a start of what to look for when optimizing. Have to look more specific at different functions to find where these stalls occur (most probably deep inside the libavcodec, so this will be ugly to find and optimize :().
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

Hi all - Still testing - but I've given up on Xvid for the time being.

Switching to avisynth scripts with Divx 6 codec.

My current script test is as follows for anyone who's using Nic's_DVD2AVI mod.

---------------

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\DVD2AVI_NIC\System\DGDecode.DLL")
MPEG2Source("E:\test.d2v").Crop(4,16,712,548)
Lanczos4Resize(480, 272)
Sharpen(1.0)

---------------

I seem to be getting some decent encodes with Lanczos4 - much sharper filter for Divx + adding max sharpening.

Will try and upload a 768 and 1200 of Blade Trinity trailer vob sometime this morning.

Keep up the good work everyone.

J.
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

hi jonny,
i would like to know if pmpmod v0.06 support rv10 ?
thank for you reponse
tanweeho

Post by tanweeho »

Oh yes, frameserving via Avisyth is super solid! I encourage all to try and learn to use avisynth.... its really simple (esp for programmers who are comfortable with writing scripts).

However, using DGDecode for DVD encoding is a bit painful for beginners as the DGDecode does not fix the aspect ratio (the video is stretched slightly vertically) of its d2v output.

Does any DGDecode expert out there who knows how to detect the correct aspect ratio? As a workaround, i use the now defunct FlaskMpeg to detect the aspect ratio, and then i resize the video to the correct aspect ratio in the avisynth script.
xxxstarmanxxx wrote:Hi all - Still testing - but I've given up on Xvid for the time being.

Switching to avisynth scripts with Divx 6 codec.

My current script test is as follows for anyone who's using Nic's_DVD2AVI mod.

---------------

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\DVD2AVI_NIC\System\DGDecode.DLL")
MPEG2Source("E:\test.d2v").Crop(4,16,712,548)
Lanczos4Resize(480, 272)
Sharpen(1.0)

---------------

I seem to be getting some decent encodes with Lanczos4 - much sharper filter for Divx + adding max sharpening.

Will try and upload a 768 and 1200 of Blade Trinity trailer vob sometime this morning.

Keep up the good work everyone.

J.
csuper

Post by csuper »

excalibur wrote:hi jonny,
i would like to know if pmpmod v0.06 support rv10 ?
thank for you reponse
Man, Read the Thread name (it's PMP MOD 1.0x here !)
No, RV9/10 aren't supported.
Actually, jonny preconize XVID/DIVX only.

csuper.
fAi_

Post by fAi_ »

using Gordian Knot detect the correct aspect ratio

avisynth script like this
DirectShowSource("your-clip.avi", audio=false)
Lanczos4Resize(480,208)
AddBorders(0,32,0,32)
tanweeho wrote: However, using DGDecode for DVD encoding is a bit painful for beginners as the DGDecode does not fix the aspect ratio (the video is stretched slightly vertically) of its d2v output.

Does any DGDecode expert out there who knows how to detect the correct aspect ratio? As a workaround, i use the now defunct FlaskMpeg to detect the aspect ratio, and then i resize the video to the correct aspect ratio in the avisynth script.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

Raphael wrote:@wooolF:
Regarding your matrix encodes, I did a quick test with profiling enabled on the video output and found that with your videos (I tested the 768 and 1200kbit versions) the CPU stalls are much higher than with any other video. This alone isnt enough information, but it's a start of what to look for when optimizing. Have to look more specific at different functions to find where these stalls occur (most probably deep inside the libavcodec, so this will be ugly to find and optimize :().
Seems you've tested my XViD encodings, I gave up with XViD for now and using DiVX (see my signature for DiVX encodings).

xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

Hi all.

Please test this XVID file if you have time.

If feedback is what I think it will be - I'll post a guide.

File encoded with an avs script with crop/resize and 1 filter - 2 pass - Total encode time 9 mins.

Blade Trinity XVID 2000kbs PURE encode. (averages 1921kbs)

File plays fine - NO -audio/video issues - And I think its far better than my DivX 2000 encode.

http://download.filefront.com/4669217;1 ... fcd266f720

I think this is my best encode to date and is 1 mb smaller than my Divx encode - but has much more detail!

I know I said I had given up on Xvid - But I couldn't resist the challenge! - Glad I persisted!!!!

I'll spend a day or two trying to get this trailer down to around 20mb without any noticable loss - but for now - this is my benchmark encode.

All the best

J.
csuper

Post by csuper »

xxxstarmanxxx wrote:Hi all.
J.
Hye Mate,
Can you remind me : the PMP Mod version you're using ? and the MS you got ...
Thanx, I will test that this evening...

csuper.
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

csuper wrote:
xxxstarmanxxx wrote:Hi all.
J.
Hye Mate,
Can you remind me : the PMP Mod version you're using ? and the MS you got ...
Thanx, I will test that this evening...

csuper.
Hello mate.

I'm doing these tests on a sandisk gaming yellow 1gb at the mo.

Latest version of Malloc's mod in line with pmp mod 1.01 and the 1.02 muxer.

All going sweet - just got to do some adaptive tests to reduce filesize and see if the player can handle it.

All the best

J.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

[offtopic]

why

wont

we

all

try

to

type

xxxstarmanxxx

does?

cmon,

it

is

fun

and

doesn't

take

much

space

at

all

lolololol!!1111

[/offtopic]

@xxxstarmanxxx
Will try your encoding asap =)
by the way, what's the source? DVD? HDTV?

xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

LOL! hehe

Source is VOB

I dont know why I miss a line in posts - I do it on every board I'm a member of.

I think its because I'm not the best reader in the world - LOL!

The most important thing about this encode is Lanczos4Resize - It's a fantastic filter for VOB and HDTV.

All the best

J.
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

@xxxstarmanxxx
Lanczos4Resize is better then Lanczos (which mencoder uses) because of it's anti-aliasing... Too bad mencoder doesn't support that video filter :/

psp360

Post by psp360 »

OK...Presently have a SanDisk 1GB with PMPmod v1.01

@wooolF your Matrix_R.divx.take16.pmp file run VERY VERY well, no audio issues and the vid quaily was super sweet. I must add that i could tell the difference in sharpness compared to if it had been encoded using xvid, but that is a mute issue as this video really worked well overall compared to the many issue audio issues we are facing with xvid.

I definitely want to get your guide on this encode. Great work!

@Eingang with both your files...7.pmp and 11.pmp I got and error:
"pmp_lib_open: can't read audio header" can you please give some help on this?

@xxxstarmanxxx Also excellent work! There is really no comparing ...xvid really makes the movies look alot better...that extra OUMPH does the world of difference. audio and video ran very good on my card did not have the ghost effect that was apperent in wooolF's vid but that was removed once you upped the brightness.

Gentlemen, I applaud all your hard work and welcome all info/guides so that I can then make a better informed decision on which method works best for me.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

wooolF wrote:Seems you've tested my XViD encodings, I gave up with XViD for now and using DiVX (see my signature for DiVX encodings).
Well, your link only gives me a "File Transfer: Unavailable". However, I only use XVid myself, as it provides better quality than DivX and I'd like to get it work smoothly with PMPMOD :)
wooolF

Post by wooolF »

@xxxstarmanxxx
Watched your video... No rant, but it's WAY too sharp. It's just overdone with sharpness IMHO. It's like the movie consist of million of sandcorns... You overdone the sharpness imho =) And it's "edgy", which means that edges of the main objects on the screen aren't clear, but blurred. And the well known audio stuttering problem is there (at the end when Blade sais "I was born that day" and when that main vampire dodges the bullet). Average, disappointing quality for +1900kbps XViD...

@Raphael
Yeh, seems it got blocked on YouSendIt. I will reupload to another place tomorrow (not currently at home). And you should really lok intoDiVX (I know, I hate it myself, but that's the only option for now if u want a good looking video @ PSP with no audio stuttering problems IMHO).