Changing all the icons etc.

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Ghoti

Changing all the icons etc.

Post by Ghoti »

Hi folks,

I make my psp appz with Visual C++ and the PSP app builder. With it you can specify the icons and music etc. that you see in the psp menu when you can start the game. But how can you change this after you made the game?
nullp01nter

Post by nullp01nter »

You can try PBP Unpacker: http://www.pdc.me.uk/pbp/

Thoralt
Ghoti

Post by Ghoti »

That's not what i meant sorry, i have programmed the game in Visual C++ then right before i want to compile it i want to alter the images and stuff how is this possible?
LaMa

Post by LaMa »

Ehm.. I could be very wrong, but I think nullp01nter is in fact right.

Ghoti, the changing of the icons, background, music (all the stuff you see when you highlight an application on the memory stick) is all done after you compiled your program with MSVC.
It can be done with the tool nullp01nter linked to, but I peronally recommend a different tool called PSP Brew.
You can download it directly, from here.

I could be wrong but I think this is what you do mean.
If not, please excuse my ignorance. (I'm not a programmer)

-LaMa
nullp01nter

Post by nullp01nter »

@Ghoti: With PBP Unpacker (and most likely with PSP Brew too - I didn't check that) you indeed can extract icons etc. from PBPs and you also can exchange things and make a new PBP out of that.

I agree there are better tools to hack around with PBPs, especially when compiling. Then you should have something you can operate from command line to automate the process. In the psptoolchain this is the tool "pack-pbp" which is automatically called in your makefile. You have to define the variables for icon and background gfx to get it packed automatically:

Code: Select all

TARGET = yourtarget
OBJS = yourfiles.o

CFLAGS = -O2 -G0 -Wall
LIBS = -lyourlibs

CXXFLAGS = $(CFLAGS) -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -fno-strict-aliasing 
ASFLAGS = $(CFLAGS)

EXTRA_TARGETS = EBOOT.PBP
PSP_EBOOT_TITLE = Your title of the app
PSP_EBOOT_ICON = ../gfx/ICON0.PNG    <- your icon here
PSP_EBOOT_PIC1 = ../gfx/PIC1.PNG     <- your background here

PSPSDK= $&#40;shell psp-config --pspsdk-path&#41;
PSPDIR= $&#40;shell psp-config --psp-prefix&#41;

include $&#40;PSPSDK&#41;/lib/build.mak
If this is still totally not what you wanted to know, you probably have to clarify what exactly you need.

Thoralt
Ghoti

Post by Ghoti »

Ah yes this is what i wanted to know :) there is only one problem the way you describe (nullpo1nter) with the makefile doesn't work. I tried the things you said but the app stayed with icon PSPdev and the name also didn't change.( i have even tried only the title change but nothings changes.)

Since the normal way doesn't work i'll try doing it with psp brew( because that is already installed on my computer.) and if that doesn't work i'll try the piece of software you gave me.[/code]
Dr. Vegetable

Post by Dr. Vegetable »

Remember that the make utility doesn't recognize when you have edited a makefile to determine that it should do a complete rebuild. So if you start with a fully rebuilt project, edit your makefile, and run make again, you will get a message that says "make: nothing to be done for 'all'."

Whenever you edit your makefile, you should always do a make clean operation to delete all output files, which will force make to do a complete rebuild of your project the next time you build it. I suspect this is why your rebuilt project doesn't use the new icons.
Ghoti

Post by Ghoti »

hmmm i tried doing that but then the following happened:

Code: Select all

--------------------Configuration&#58; Game2 - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compilatie van het Project.
psp-gcc -I. -I/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/include -O2 -G0 -Wall  -L. -L/usr/local/pspdev/psp/sdk/lib    -lpspgu -lpng -lz -lm -lpspdebug -lpspdisplay -lpspge -lpspctrl -lpspsdk -lc -lpspnet -lpspnet_inet -lpspnet_apctl -lpspnet_resolver -lpsputility -
lpspuser -lpspkernel -o out.elf
/usr/local/pspdev/lib/gcc/psp/4.0.2/../../../../psp/lib/crt0.o&#58; In function `_main'&#58;
/tmp/pspdev/pspsdk/src/startup/crt0.c&#58;86&#58; undefined reference to `main'
collect2&#58; ld returned 1 exit status
make&#58; *** &#91;out.elf&#93; Error 1
Effacer les fichiers inutiles
Kan C&#58;\PSPsdk\Projects\Game2\*.o niet vinden
Trouver le bon repertoire
Création du PBP
Er bestaat al een submap of bestand .\GAME2%.
Creation du PBP terminée -> filesize &#58; 00015345
Renommer en EBOOT.PBP
Er bestaat al een submap of bestand .\GAME2.
Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.
Error executing c&#58;\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

EBOOT.PBP - 1 error&#40;s&#41;, 0 warning&#40;s&#41;
don't understand the error and i think i screwed up my programm :(

i found out where i have to change the eboot stuff but now i got this error what is wrong?
Dr. Vegetable

Post by Dr. Vegetable »

It looks like you might have broken your makefile. The compiler seems to be ignoring your .c program file, which is why it says that you haven't defined _main.

If you post a copy of your makefile then maybe someone can help you figure out what is wrong with it. Or else go back to a recent backup copy of your makefile and try making the changes again.
Ghoti

Post by Ghoti »

Yes you are right, i have just used a backup and it was solved copied the whole code into the old one and it worked like a charm :) i have also got the backgrounds and picto's working now. Thank you all for relplying it as a great help!