PSP GU or GL

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

NovaCaine

PSP GU or GL

Post by NovaCaine »

Hey all,

About to embark on the 3D train and was wanting to get everyone's input on which API to use. What I'm wanting to do is create a 3D Isometric engine and was unsure about which API would be best suited for the job.

The only real 3D stuff I've done was with DirectX, but by the looks of OpenGL it's pretty similar.

So please leave your comments on which API you think is best for the job.

Thanks
jsgf

Post by jsgf »

OpenGL is similar, and GU isn't too far off either. For me, the main advantage of PSPGL is that you can keep (mostly) the same code running on both the PSP and desktop, which allows for much easier debugging. Also, PSPGL does a lot of things for you which you would have to do on your own in GU (like command buffer management, texture/vertex array memory management, cache flushing, etc).
NovaCaine

Post by NovaCaine »

Hmmm, Thanks for that jsgf

I've been looking over the tutorials by NeHe - im guessing the implementation on the PSP is basically the same?

Also is there support of multi-pass texturing (i think that's what it was called) - where I can render more than one texture to a triangle/quad and perform blending?

Thanks again for the help
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Also is there support of multi-pass texturing (i think that's what it was called) - where I can render more than one texture to a triangle/quad and perform blending?
No, the PSP supports only one texture per pass afaik, but you can still use multi-pass rendering, such as you render your scene once for every texture you want to use and apply the wanted blends to every pass. It's just the way such stuff (light-/shadow-/bump-mapping) was done before the aera of the multi-texture 3D-cards on desktop systems.