wifi with python/bittorrent port

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

dbeyer3069

wifi with python/bittorrent port

Post by dbeyer3069 »

I looked in the SVN for Python and there are files for sockets.h but nothing appears to be specifically for PSP.

Anyone know anything about exactly what (if anything) is supported and has been tested in WLAN functionality for PYTHON? I saw some of the graphics work that had been done on the blog.

Bittorrent is written in PYTHON which is why I'm interested. Anyone know?

P.S. Sorry. was supposed to be a reply to the other thread but I hit new instead :)

David Beyer
DustinFraze

Post by DustinFraze »

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php? ... 7d552694ca for my thoughs as to why we'll never see (or should never see) a BT client for PSP.
danzel

Post by danzel »

I hate to be offtopic(ish) in this post, but DustinFraze - You're wrong.

The memory stick transfer speed on psp is alot faster than you can get on the wifi (see here).
There is no disadvantage from seek times (instant seek on a memory stick), so we can store chunks straight into the file in the correct position as they are downloaded as many torrent clients do, including the mainline client.
Sure you can only write to each sector a limited amount of times, but a single download will only write to any given sector write once, so this isn't a big limit either.

Bittorrent on the psp is technically feasible, but most people probally don't have a use for it.
sg57

Post by sg57 »

who cares, the more homebrew the merrier id make it but i hate messing with WLAN on the psp, it gives me a headache with all the ips and dns's and proxys(for at school :)) ,etc.
weak

Post by weak »

i guess sandisk has a reason why they give you 5 years warranty ;) it will take pretty long to write a million (not 100k) times to the same block...
AyAn4m1

Post by AyAn4m1 »

danzel wrote: Sure you can only write to each sector a limited amount of times, but a single download will only write to any given sector write once, so this isn't a big limit either.
How are you figuring? Yes, it depends on the sector size, but seeing as you're breaking any given file into 512kb pieces (or smaller), you're writing quite often.
danzel wrote:Bittorrent on the psp is technically feasible, but most people probally don't have a use for it.
It is technically possible, but it isn't feasible. Besides the flash memory issues, there is a lot of processing that needs to be done to determine the quality of the incoming data, enough that you're going to be hard pressed to do it on a 222Mhz processor. Wireless is another major problem, because 802.11b doesn't really have the speed or line integrity to support a torrenting app. It can be done, but the speeds would render it basically worthless. Plus, with the PSP running constantly, doing hash checks with the screen on and WiFi active, how long is the battery going to last? The only advantage to this app is mobility, which is pointless if it will only run for 1.5-2 hours at a time. Now, if someone feels like getting back on topic...
cheriff
Regular

Post by cheriff »

Whilst I agree that it is probably easier (for me anyway) to torrent stuff to pc then usb or wifi it to my psp, and am uninformed as to how torrent apps actually do their disc access, i AM wondering why people keep discounting psp-torrent's feasablilty because of speed?
Now i know that 'net access here in Australia is behind the times with respect so japan, europe and other places, but is 802.11b the bottleneck for the majority of people here?
By this logic, does having ctorrent on my pc make more sense (from only a speed point of view) because ethernet is 100megabit? Regardless of the face that the chokepoint is the 512k adsl connection i have..

Yeah, when i take my psp to work/uni thats a different story - but in that case i'd probably just bring a 20G usb hdd or something :)
Damn, I need a decent signature!