looking for ps2link-1.23

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

spooo

looking for ps2link-1.23

Post by spooo »

Hi,

I can see lot of people using ps2link-1.23 on forums.

There's only ps2link-1.22 in the loader section of ps2dev.
I would prefer to get an "official" one rather then compiling it myself
since I'm not really sure of the source version 1.24b in CVS.
Some people say that one has to use 1.23 instead of 1.22,
(for PS2OS for instance, which does not start on my ps2v9)
and the Changelog only says
2004-02-08 Version 1.23
- Some new commands stop/start vu, dump mem, dump reg, gsexec

Can't see if there are only new feature or bug correction too.

So where do you guy get the compiled 1.23 version ?

Thanks,

homebrew opensource rules !

Post by Guest »

You haven't actually stated why you need ps2link 1.23. Have you tried 1.22 and its not working for you ? You mentioned PS2OS wasn't working, so maybe you are implying PS2OS might require 1.23 ?

However, I don't think anyone in *these* forums are necessarily using any specific version of ps2link, much less 1.23, nor are they necessarily telling anyone to use 1.23. Perhaps you are thinking of forums on a different website ?

However, you did come to a PS2DEV website. We welcome all people interested in PS2 dev efforts for legal purposes (here, legal means legal, without *winks* and *nudges*). The best way for you to get started in real PS2DEV efforts would be to download the cross-compilers and learn how to compile the latest ps2link and other utilities.

Enjoy! :)

Gorim
spooo

Post by spooo »

gorim wrote:You haven't actually stated why you need ps2link 1.23. Have you tried 1.22 and its not working for you ? You mentioned PS2OS wasn't working, so maybe you are implying PS2OS might require 1.23 ?
As I said, PS2OS authors say that ps2link 1.23 is preferred.
I tried ps2link 1.22, and PS2OS don't boot with it. ps2link 1.22 works well with other elves.
gorim wrote:However, I don't think anyone in *these* forums are necessarily using any specific version of ps2link, much less 1.23, nor are they necessarily telling anyone to use 1.23. Perhaps you are thinking of forums on a different website ?
Yes, I did not mention ps2dev forum specifically. But I thought that ps2dev was the preferred forum to talk about ps2link.
gorim wrote:However, you did come to a PS2DEV website. We welcome all people interested in PS2 dev efforts for legal purposes (here, legal means legal, without *winks* and *nudges*). The best way for you to get started in real PS2DEV efforts would be to download the cross-compilers and learn how to compile the latest ps2link and other utilities.
Okay then, I'll try and compile ps2link-1.24b and I won't be annoying you with my questions about not perfectly legal softwares.

Sorry.
gorim wrote:Enjoy! :)

BTW, the reason why I wanted to use PS2OS is because of its ability to boot elves from the USB memory dongles. I've been able to compile and execute the usbmass example from CVS, but that was just a sample example. I'm not good enough to make a nice graphical interface to browse, load and execute an elf file from the USB key using usbmass from ps2dev.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

you do no need ps2os to boot your elves, thats what ps2link is for.
Kung VU

Post by Guest »

spooo wrote:
Okay then, I'll try and compile ps2link-1.24b and I won't be annoying you with my questions about not perfectly legal softwares.

Sorry.
First of all, sorry if you misunderstood much of what I said. I was not
implying you were dealing with anything imperfectly legal. I was
qualifying my statement about welcoming dev efforts from anyone,
so long as it was for legal purposes. I made that explicit statement
to lead into encouraging you to perform dev efforts, if interested, by
downloading the source and getting your feet wet...for legal purposes.
It was not any statement, and shouldnt even be considered one, about
ps2os.

And no you didnt annoy me at all, otherwise I would have spent
less time writing and more time flaming ;)

Gorim
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

What's ps2os?

Anyway, ps2link 1.23 fixed a lot of issues with 1.22 so it should be the recommended version. The fact that it's at 1.24b and no one released 1.23 is a major problem.
"He was warned..."
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

ps2os is some wannabe-dashboard, I think
spooo

Post by spooo »

mrbrown wrote:What's ps2os?
The official italian site has an english webpage: http://ps2world.it/viewtopic.php?t=250
The main interesting functionality (for myself) is the USB memory stick/dongle / pendrive - whatever you call it - functionalities.
Anyway, ps2link 1.23 fixed a lot of issues with 1.22 so it should be the recommended version. The fact that it's at 1.24b and no one released 1.23 is a major problem.
As you seem to say and after a quick check, there's no 1_23 tag in CVS. I'll try the head version (1.24b).
Thanks for the information.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

yeah v1.23 and v1.24 has been handled abit sloppy, I personally just made v1.23 available on ttc, mainly for ppl to test. then bugs where found, and then features where added and bugs fixed, and then v1.24b string ended up in ps2link.c ( probably comited by me ).

So ill ask a question in software developmen about any problems/bugs that may exist in current cvs version of ps2link.
Kung VU
spooo

Post by spooo »

blackdroid wrote: So ill ask a question in software developmen about any problems/bugs that may exist in current cvs version of ps2link.
Hi,

I succeeded in using ps2link-1.23 (got somewhere on internet) where ps2link-1.22 was badly working (booting ps2os) !

But I've not been able to compile properly 1.24b from CVS.
I get the elf and all irx files, but I only get a black screen when booting it from MC. I tried both BUILTIN_IRX 0 and 1.

Of course there is somewhere a problem in my build. The whole compilation process uses ps2sdk, but ps2link README and Makefiles say that ps2smap.irx from ps2eth is needed (although these files are not #included in sources).

The toolchain comes from oopo's consoledev scripts.

--
me -- and my misunderstanding ;-)
Barbarian

Post by Barbarian »

Actually, I just spend few hours building ps2link 1.24.
One of the problems was that it apparently still depends on ps2eth which is outside ps2sdk.
The other thing was that latest ps2sdk looks for sbv in the main directory, while it actually is under ee folder. I moved it manually and it seems to build fine, with irxs all in one, and the elf is a nice 180k.

BUT, 1.24 seems way more UNstable than 1.23 for me. It seems to freeze in about a minute after booting.
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

yes it is dependant on ps2sdk and ps2eth ( and that is not a problem, you will however have a problem if you dont have ps2smap.irx ), its even mentioned in the README ( there is a reason to read those you know ).

the sbv was moved around but the makefiles didnt reflect the changes, it is now fixed.
Kung VU
blackdroid

Post by blackdroid »

As for the freezing part, cant say ive ever experienced ps2link to freeze by itself.
and Ive been using the 1.24 code for quite some time now.
What you could do is take the irx's ( except ps2link.irx ) from 1.23 and see if it behaves better.
Kung VU