PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Eingang

Post by Eingang »

gmk wrote:
Eingang wrote:@argandona

PMP plays very fine on extremely high bitrates. I can use 4000kbit smoothly. This is just a matter of performance.

Also I want to state here that Tera boost algorithm kills the hf-background noise completely, I´m very happy about that.
Hi Eingang,

who or what is this "Tera boost algorithm" ???
It´s a BeSweet boost method and can be used standard by
-boost( /b3=5 /l=0.95 )
toker#

Post by toker# »

Hello All

Is anyone getting audio sync issues?

When I encode my movies from DVD Source, PMP Muxer 1.02 log show that the video / audio is 0.100 seconds different etc....
0.1 / 0.2 and 0.3 doesnt affect the playback on the PSP but when 0.4 or above the movie goes out of sync towards the end. I have not change the framerate.

I have used ...
VirtualDub to encoded the video / Besweet to encode audio.
AVI2PMP
3GP Convertor

I am doing something wrong?

@Jonny
Would it be possible to just encode the the movie in fone file (video / audio) and then put in the pmp container.
Encoding separately and then using PMP Muxer is my causing audio sync issue for me.
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

I feel I must add a post to stop the inaccuracy's regarding background noise and small pops.

1st - This only occurs when encoding with Xvid as it puts more strain on the PSP's CPU.

If you do the same 2 pass encode using the same bitrate with Divx or 3ivx - the problem is resolved - At a cost of video quality.

Terra boost mode has absolutely no effect using a DVD AC3 stream (even in 2.0 stereo mode) - and even if you convert the AC3 stream to PCM WAV and then re-encode - the effect is still there using Xvid.......

It may work for inferior AVI's though by converting the audio to WAV first. - (Not that I could be arsed to encode from anything but DVD).

2nd - argandona is quite correct if you're an Xvid encoder (I think most of us are) ..... - lower your bitrate and you'll see the problem resolved - or (as I'm doing) wait until jonny gives us a wonder update to this program - and gives us some more cpu cycles to play with. Hopefully then - this high frequency feedback will dissappear for good.

As for the bitrate performance overall - I can encode a low motion 6000kbs Divx with 128kbs CBR audio and it would play in PMP player.......anyone could.............its low motion........

All the best

J.
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

@starman

It seems we talk of different things. Do you seriously think I´m so dumb not being able to hear the difference betwwen crakcles caused by too demanding encoding or too much data from that ones I´m talking about ???

The crackles I mean have absolutely nothing to do with bitrate, codec or quality. It´s a surprise you can not hear what I´m talking about at all.
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Eingang, i can't hear what you're talking about either.
Execpt the cracks that people reported due to less CPU than needed and high-bitrate demanding scenes, there hasn't been a single post for another sound problem.

Besides,you can test the following to see if it is indeed a PMPMOd problem. Just don't mux your mp3 and put it in PSP\MUSIC and check how the PSP plays it natively
Later,

Alcahest
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

Eingang wrote:@starman

It seems we talk of different things. Do you seriously think I´m so dumb not being able to hear the difference betwwen crakcles caused by too demanding encoding or too much data from that ones I´m talking about ???

The crackles I mean have absolutely nothing to do with bitrate, codec or quality. It´s a surprise you can not hear what I´m talking about at all.
Hello mate -

I'm assuming you're talking about a high frequency whine which continues all the way through the encode and is a constant sound????? -

If so - as I have already said - this is an Xvid CPU issue - not present in Divx/3ivx encodes of the same bitrate - Period......

If you're not hearing the odd pop (from sync issues) or the sound described above - and are hearing something totally different - give me a limk to a test pmp and i'll take a look - It maybe be your AC3 de-compressor that you have installed giving you problems.

Here to help if you need it

All the best

J.
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

Starman,

if this would be an XVid CPU issue, why can I hear it in DivX vids too ? And if it is like you say, shouldn´t it just affect XVid and not any other codec, no matter what bitrate ?

I´ve just made a sample and send the link to Jonny. I want to know where the problem is, even if I am the problem.
xxxstarmanxxx

Post by xxxstarmanxxx »

Eingang wrote:Starman,

if this would be an XVid CPU issue, why can I hear it in DivX vids too ? And if it is like you say, shouldn´t it just affect XVid and not any other codec, no matter what bitrate ?

I´ve just made a sample and send the link to Jonny. I want to know where the problem is, even if I am the problem.
OK - Just thought I could help.

Hopefully jonny wont be too busy to take a look at it soon.
Just to clarify - If it is the high pitched whine in the background audio that you're having an issue with - you can check out my encode below - I have no audio issues with this encode - pops - crackles - or whining background noise. The memory card is a Sandisk gaming duo 1GB yellow.

Blade Trinity 768kbs Xvid encode
http://download.filefront.com/4674179;0 ... a53d24d6f4

All the best

J.
Djakku

PMP DEmuxer Request

Post by Djakku »

Hello, understand it's a bit off topic but i have kind of a request that may be helpfull in order to save some time: .....
I encoded a batch file of 24 avi or more using a "wizard" ( no need to name the apps, the problem isn't in the application itself) but the thing is that my resolution is not divided by 8 and I got that error on PMP.
So I was thinking, instead of completely reencode my files, couldn't i demux them, separate the audio from the video and then reencode my video by adjusting the screen resolution and then remux.
My question, which is more like a request, is : is it possible to create a pmp demuxer?
Can you create a pmp muxer ( i think its far from being impossible but since i'm no coder, i just know that not my call) ?
Will you ever create a pmp DEmuxer?

thanx for the GREATEST psp Application ever anyway :)
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

I've experienced the same HF-background noise that Eingang has, in fact, I'm surprised it's not reported more often.

As far as I'm aware, it has nothing to do with either PMPmod nor any video codec. It seems to be inherent with AC3 audio sources when converted to 2-channel cbr mp3. I've been able to eliminate it by using the volume normalization option in mencoder, or as Eingang reports, using that Tera boost option in Besweet.
TestType

Post by TestType »

The annoying sound you are reffering to affects the sound in the muxing process, it's got nothing to do with AC3 or anything like that. If you listen to the mp3 track before muxing the sound is not there, but it's there after muxing. I believe the sound is simply the sound of the electrical current running from the outlet to your computer.
Somebody please correct me if they know any better.
PSP: Japanese Firmware 1.0 :: 1gb SanDisk Memory Stick
jonny

Post by jonny »

it seems i have found the cause of the audio high f. noise.
the cause seems the use of a low quality option in the ffmpeg mp3 lib.
if i enable the high quality mode, i can't ear differences between pmpmod and the internal psp player.
there is a bad point, performance drop of about 5.5 fps
when the speed will be better, i'll probably shot 2 binaries (with low/high quality audio mode)
synch22

Post by synch22 »

new here, and i have the pmp original download.

How do i update it to have some of the mods created here? I downloaded some of the files, and even used the pmp folders in the rars posted but its still the same look as the original. please advise on how to update the pmp with a mod, i like what some of the screen caps look like in this topic
reveine

Post by reveine »

You don't have to update anything. Just download the modified version of pmpmod here. http://www.alex-berl.de/download/PMPMOD ... andona.zip and put the two folders on PSP\GAME
ヽ(`ー`)ノエルメス
..(__)__
|電車男|~~
◎ ̄ ̄ ̄◎ ころころ~
synch22

Post by synch22 »

nt wrong topic, i was looking for the small mod topic
yoshaw

Post by yoshaw »

Let me say this first. I love Jonny's Mod! I really do! Because I like the different side mods(with amazing GUI's) and their functions that were introduced with it.

Still, this rumor of a new player that came out of Korea.... Holy Fawk! 0_0

It's said that it supports Video at 480x272 with 29.97/30fps and supposedly lag free. AVI, MOV, MP4, OGM, MKV, NUT, ASF, WMV. Audio: MP3, M4A, WMA, OGG, WAV. MPEG1/2/4 video(DivX, XviD), Windows Media Video, Ogg theora, Mpeg audio (MP2, MP3, AAC), AC3, OGG, Windows Media Audio.

Too much to go gaw gaw for. I hope we can see all these implemented in PMP Mod too. I love the new GUI some guys are working on for PMP. I'll try to find the source code for it, maybe that will help Jonny and others for PMP.
Last edited by yoshaw on Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:39 am, edited 9 times in total.
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Oh my?!!
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

Absolutely stunning. Seems that JiniCho wasn't satisfied yet. Hopefully we'll see sourcecode of this one.

/JockyW
jonny

Post by jonny »

i've done some tests yesterday and seems really good!

it is probably libavcodec based (maybe an mplayer port?), the color space conversion is done with the gu (maybe the rest is optimized with the vfpu)

i don't understand korean, but i think the source is not available (i'd really like to bench it :)

JockyW: maybe i'm wrong but i think the author is not JiniCho ( i've tryed some google traslation to know more, but with poor results :( )
jockyw2001

Post by jockyw2001 »

jonny: have you made additional attempts to improve pmp performance by using vfpu and me?

btw: do you have a link to the original korean site? I have a friend who can translate it

/JockyW
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

http://pspmini.mud4u.com/bbs/zboard.php ... category=6

This player is quite old o.o It was created in Jan 2006. How did we ever miss it? :P
jonny

Post by jonny »

@JockyW:

the original source should be here:

24/12/2005
http://ruliweb2.dreamwiz.com/ruliboard/ ... ft=j&time=

21/01/2006
http://ruliweb2.dreamwiz.com/ruliboard/ ... ft=j&time=

the first (?) version is out since 24/12/2005!

still not had time to make vfpu optimizations (now we have full vfpu api - so there is a big potential here)
actually i'm optimizing the reading routines (i've changed the pmp format a lot, my internal build support vbr mp3/multi audio)
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

This is odd. PSPlayerMT doesn't work with the videos I've tried. Keeps crashing at the "waiting for video to initialize" screen. The only one that worked had trouble while playing. Video slows down to almost a stop :/
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

This appearance is really shocking.

Performance is indeed significantly better. But after testing some hours I can confirm it´s not perfect by far. Tried movs, wmvs, they give crashes and errors. Tried avis without sound, also bad errors. Didn´t test mpg2 though. Also I got it to stutter with my super extreme insane ever highest demanding sample scene..... of course without GMC or anything special, same settings as for pmp.

Jonny, I would be interested in some explanations from you what this player is doing else than yours. Do you think the source code could help you improving your player ?
jonny

Post by jonny »

from what i understand it is limited to 480x272
i've seen profiles over the links above and the recommended setting for audio seems cbr mp3
the speed is good (i'm not able to directly compare it with pmpmod, without the sourcecode), but gmc/qpel or high bitrate clips still stutters
seek is slow
from what i read, it works on every fw version, that's why i think it not uses the me, the sourcecode could help for sure/maybe optimizations can be merged
ClonePSP

Post by ClonePSP »

I have tried the exact same avi on both pmp mod and this korean player and indeed, performance wise, it does seem better in that it didnt stutter on the same complex scenes that did stutter on PMP Mod.

However, on the Korean player the audio did not stay in sync which is why I belive jonny introduced the pmp container to get around this problem. Also the seek is nowhere near as good as PMP Mod as it only seeks a bit and then just plays again by itself.

A question for Jonny, this Korean player supposedly the PSP's processor at max(333), does PMP Mod do that ? if not would be be much work for you to put it in ?

Things are looking up, also the mods you mentioned in your private build of PMP mod sound interesting.
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

Of course pmp uses 333Mhz.

I can´t find the player´s source anywhere, if anyone knows something....
26bboy

Post by 26bboy »

Interesting reading on the comments from pspupdates with people saying that the author would stop work on the program if it was uploaded to anywhere else then its original hoster, this would be a shame (Read near the bottom of the comments). Imagine would could happen if jonny and this developer worked together...

http://pspupdates.qj.net/PSPlayerMT-For ... /aid/11016
k0nan

Post by k0nan »

Looks like he just released a new version on 3/20 here but I can't for the life of me figure out how to download it. PSPupdates also removed their d/l link from the author's request. Google & babelfish aren't helping. Can anyone find it?
OmX

Post by OmX »

You can get the latest version from 'Ruliweb' here. They are affiliated with the author somehow (i think) and are allowed to host his files. Just in case the direct link doesn't work, you should be able to download the the player from here.