Debugging Ps2

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

peterk19

Debugging Ps2

Post by peterk19 »

Hi ihave just been given a "Test" Debugging station (DTL-H30002)
and i was just wonder what i can do with it and what are its advantages over a normal ps2 other than it seems to be able to play all region games and all my ps1 and ps2 backups
Pete
pixel

Re: Debugging Ps2

Post by pixel »

peterk19 wrote:Hi ihave just been given a "Test" Debugging station (DTL-H30002)
Bastard!!

On a side note, I hardly know what you can do with it :p
pixel: A mischievous magical spirit associated with screen displays. The computer industry has frequently borrowed from mythology. Witness the sprites in computer graphics, the demons in artificial intelligence and the trolls in the marketing department.
peterk19

Post by peterk19 »

peterk19 wrote:
Hi ihave just been given a "Test" Debugging station (DTL-H30002)

Bastard!!

On a side note, I hardly know what you can do with it :p
Yea i just got it cause it looked impressiveive been told a few stories about them like they have a harddrive in them not sure i took off the expansion port cover off its empty and its eems a bit heavier than my other ps2 theres no aption to access it
Pete
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

If you need to ask then it's really no use to you.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
peterk19

Post by peterk19 »

Drakonite Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:59 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea i probably dont but i just want it and i asked for information about it not for information on if i should have it or not so if you dont have any real advice for me then please dont offer your opinion
Pete
TyRaNiD

Post by TyRaNiD »

That machine is only there to allow developers to run their games off cdr/dvdr etc to ensure it works on a real PS2, the one you are thinking of is a TOOL kit which is considerably larger. What you have is nothing more than a fancy mod-chipped ps2 :)
peterk19

Post by peterk19 »

TyRaNiD Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:10 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That machine is only there to allow developers to run their games off cdr/dvdr etc to ensure it works on a real PS2, the one you are thinking of is a TOOL kit which is <i>considerably</i> larger. What you have is nothing more than a fancy mod-chipped ps2 :)
Thanks thats all i was asking
Pete
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

peterk19 wrote:
Drakonite Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:59 am Post subject:

Yea i probably dont but i just want it and i asked for information about it not for information on if i should have it or not so if you dont have any real advice for me then please dont offer your opinion
Pete
Sony licenses their dev units, they do not sell them. Legally they cannot be sold which means one way or another you could not have obtained this legally and are in possession of stolen goods. Perhaps you should check the rules, we don't allow this kind of crap here.

If you have a problem with my "opinion" or the "opinion" of any other administrator on these forums about the discussion of illegaly obtained Sony hardware, then feel free to send me a PM so I can ignore it later.

Thread locked.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
ooPo
Site Admin

Post by ooPo »

Thread unlocked. ( http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=638 )

Just to add a twist, I seem to remember back in my official dev days these TEST units were in fact for sale by Sony and didn't come with any strings attached. I assume this is part of the reason why they require specially-created master discs and aren't entirely open like a modchipped PS2.

You still had to be licensed to buy the units, though.
Raizor

Post by Raizor »

Easy on the megalomania Drak ;)
mrbrown
Site Admin

Post by mrbrown »

Given the price on TOOLs and PAs, I'm not so sure Sony is going to get that many back when the PS2 winds down, regardless of whether they say you're "leasing" them. Even TEST units are expensive.

Usually, the ones that get sold in public are ones from some company that folded and are liquidating their assets.
"He was warned..."