Problem installing cygwin

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

F34R

Problem installing cygwin

Post by F34R »

I have a dialup connection, and obvioulsy the setup of the enviroment would take ages. I took my laptop to work, and used the broadband connection to download the files, and it installed the cygwin stuff on the laptop. I got home, and transferred the install files to my desktop in the same folder, My Documents/Cygwin Install/... then I copied C:/cygwin from the laptop over to the desktop, also in c:/cygwin . I double click the bat file in c:/cygwin, and I get an error "bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create !"

Well, I checked , and there is a tmp folder in c:/cygwin already. Anyone know why it doesnt work ? It does work on the laptop if that matters.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic of the error, along with the cygwin directory:

LuMo

Post by LuMo »

had same thingy here. i installed it with installer on my comp and it worked fine then.
note: if you checked the "keep downloaded files" you should have your required files on your laptop anyway

greets
lumo
"Good artists copy, great artists steal."
Pablo Picasso
go2lumo.com
Oobles
Site Admin

Post by Oobles »

I always choose the download only option first then after everything is downloaded I install from the local hard drive. Works very nicely.

David. aka Oobles.
F34R

Post by F34R »

That's what I have a problem with. I transferred all the install files from the laptop to the desktop, and ran into the above problem. If I tried to install it from the installer on my desktop it'd take days on a dialup connection. And there isnt any guarantee that my dialup would stay connected long enough to download all the files needed for the setup.
LuMo

Post by LuMo »

you can choose install from local directory and point to our downloaded files...
"Good artists copy, great artists steal."
Pablo Picasso
go2lumo.com
F34R

Post by F34R »

good idea, i'll try that...

UPDATE:
LuMo wrote: you can choose install from local directory and point to our downloaded files...
Thank you very much. Everyone...
I can't believe it was something as simple as that lol. I now have it running, but now feel very retarded for not trying that before lol. I hope learning C doesnt follow the same path rofl.

Again, thanks for the quick responses and help I received. TY