DJSP v0.14a release 8-25-2005

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

PhyerFly

Post by PhyerFly »

I've been digging around these forums and running through the tutorials on psp-programming.com and I have a couple of questions (for andy / anyone).

After looking at the DJSP file tree, it looks like Andy was using bitmap fonts in png format. I checked around on the net and found a few different ways to convert TTF fonts into something I can can blit to the screen. Tim (from these forums) released a program called font2png that works well - but it looks like it's not the same format as the fonts Andy used. Is there a general consensus on the best method (or program) to generate bitmaps fonts and implement them? I've been reading through the sample src that McZonk wrote in the sdk and that seems to make the most sense.

The other question is about ID3 tags. My understanding is that the last 128 bytes of an Mp3 file is where the TAG property lies, and if that's the standard then it shouldn't be too hard to extract that.

Here's a quick and dirty sample that someone wrote to grab the ID3 tag from an Mp3 assuming the last 128 bytes contained the data. If it finds the TAG string it extracts the song title, artist and year - otherwise it tries to fudge a name from the path and name of the file. I hope I'm wrong, but that seems a little too easy. I know that ID3v2 tags can have ALOT extra information in them aside from the just the artist and song info, specifically the option to embed cover artwork for the cd - which is something I was hoping to be able to display eventually.

Anyone have any experience or best practice with this?