FF-PSP : Coming Soon!

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Myles

FF-PSP : Coming Soon!

Post by Myles »

Final Fantasy - PSP
Coming in the near future!

Screenshots: (Watermarked to prevent them from being stolen/used.)

I'll add more later when I have more time.
(The next batch of shots will include some of the gameplay.)

Information: Final Fantasy - PSP is a port of the popular RPG Final Fantasy to the PSP. It is currently being developed by a small team of coders as a spare-time project, but we are working on it as much as we can.

Features: The key feature that is going to make this game truly great is that it will be multiplayer. The way this will work is you will connect to our server from your game, where you will choose a room to play in. This game will not be an MMORPG! The server will set you to only be able to connect to rooms that are for the quest you are currently on. Each quest you go on will continue your story through the game. Once you complete a quest, you will automatically be moved onto the next quest. Each quest will be able to accept up to 4(?) players, but you will be able to play alone if nobody is in your room, so if you have no desire to play with a team, you may play alone. The game WILL ultimately come to an end, which is what keeps the Final Fantasy theme to it. There will also be a small MMORPG "playground" where you will be able to do some Player vs. Player action for fun. What's the point of leveling up if you can't have some fun with it?

Release Date: The release date will not be given yet, because I must first discuss some things with my team.

Having said all of that, I must go now, I will come back as soon as I can to tell more. Please ask all questions you want, throw any ideas you want into your post, and criticize like crazy. I am currently taking finals at school, so I might be slow on replying for a few days.

Thanks,
Myles
Itaintrite

Post by Itaintrite »

This is a PORT of which game again? o.o
Myles

Post by Myles »

It will port FF6 from the Super Nintendo Console. But as I stated, it will have online gameplay and you WILL be able to edit your character. So I suppose i shouldn't call it a "port" because I am editting it up some. Nonetheless, it will be much like the original game.
ufoz

Post by ufoz »

port
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ps. PROTECTED PROTECTED.
R7i!c3K

Post by R7i!c3K »

Yeah, it would be kind of hard to port a game from SNES to PSP, due to the lack of source code. This sounds more like a re-write based on visual gameplay. What are you writing in, anyhow?

Regardless, right on. I love that game, and I've been unsuccessful with playing FF3-SNES/FF6 on SNES9xTYL. It's just entirely too slow during battle sequences on FW 2.6.

I'd love to see the finished product.
Fanjita

Post by Fanjita »

Seems ironic to be attempting to protect intellectual property that is itself basically stolen... ;)
Got a v2.0-v2.80 firmware PSP? Download the eLoader here to run homebrew on it!
The PSP Homebrew Database needs you!
Alcahest

Post by Alcahest »

Indeed, Square could have you busted if only for you using the Cid artwork on the title screen hah
UsefulIdiot

Post by UsefulIdiot »

Looks like we are going to have some friendly competition... :D

How long have you been working on this? Ive been working on the EXACT same thing for months now, and im only starting to get my game engine working. Ive heavily based the game engine design off of what square originally had, based off the detailed information in qhimms gears document.

I have my engine divided into 5 separate parts, being menues, field, map, battle, and misc extras(minigames etc). These are being developed independantly then will hook-up when complete into one main game.

Currently Ive got my map loader and smooth player movement working with animations. The smooth movment and animations are 99.9% accurate to the ff6 rom, as well as preliminary menu content has been started.

On a more technical side, ive got timers, input managers, sprite/tile drawing, map loaders, entity structures, player animation structures, player animation, and decent engine framework started. Ive got linked lists of game states, and a "process manager" to handle frame per frame based actions.

For text input, I am going to use the standard text input in the single player that is faithful to the rom, but in online mode, the game will feature a customized version of danzel's osk.

I am also writing cross platform tools (osx,win,nix) to allow for easy content creation into the engine and to allow for modders to create high quality 2d rpg games for the psp without too much prior knowledge of game making, think rpgmaker 2000).

Online play isnt really taking too much shape yet, but the design of the engine is all client/server based so as soon as other parts starting coming to completion, the game will really take off. The main server for online play with the game runs in windows only currently, and the game also supports single player over ad-hoc.

As per the legality of my game, i am not going to distribute ANY square related materials with the engine, but tools that are able to rip them from any ff6 rom(1.0 or 1.1) and convert them to appropriate directories and formats.

My engine was written in c++, using very little non-standard libraries, and is easily portable to other platforms(nintendo ds if i can get a hold of one).

Perhaps we may even end up working together, but these are still very exciting projects we ar eworking on, and best of luck!

EDIT:
I have forgot to explain how the mp aspect of the game is going to work.
Basically there is online play which will allow you to play through the story with up to 3 other players in your group, depending on which part of the story you are at (ie if Locke and Terra must be in the group, you can only have 2 online members). which may be formed at any time. As for the whole WOB -> WOR and vice versa, there will be a specific area in the game in which you will be able to transfer. Some interesting features that will be added into the game play for sure is the collisiem(sp ack) battles(betting and fighting), and I am toying with the idea of having ctf and other fun gametypes online(think guild wars). which brings me to my next point, there will be guild functionality, as well as the ability to design(map) your own guild halls, and have them visible to everyone in the world map(have your own figaro castle for example!). (there will be rent fee's for the guild halls to be visible to everyone, and bidding must be done to keep them visible). I am also planning to incorporate the instance type functionality found in world of warcraft, but on a smaller scale.

This post is getting loooooong right now, so ill leave it at that. I need a web designer to get a web page going but I havent run into anyone, so for now ill keep my information in sporadic posts.
dot_blank

Post by dot_blank »

if this turns out to be one big stupid lie
in either case its one great way for usefullidiot
to plug his game ;)
10011011 00101010 11010111 10001001 10111010