pspgl test programs won't compile under cygwin

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

NeoXeno

pspgl test programs won't compile under cygwin

Post by NeoXeno »

Hi everyone,

I'm a professional artist/animator hoping to enter the psp homebrew scene and create some cool 2D games to share with others. I have created simple games in Java and Flash but would like to move onto handhelds and later on for next gen consoles (mainly ps3). I'm just starting out so I'm hoping some of you real programmers can help get me get going here.

You see, I have chosen to use pspgl (due to hardware acceleration) but for some reason I can't get any of the test programs that came with it to compile under cygwin. Everytime I try to compile something I immediately get the following error

$ make install
convert firefox.png rgba:firefox.raw
invalid Parameter - rgba:firefox.raw
make: *** [firefox.raw] Error 4

I'm guessing the problem lies with the convert command that is executed. When I type convert /? it states it's function is to convert FAT volumes to NTFS which doesn't sound right in this case. The psptoolchain, pspgl, zlib and libpng packages appear to be installed correctly so I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Also, what is the absolute fastest method of displaying images on the screen? I am planning to create a game in the near future that will need to display fullscreen 480 by 272 images (with the ability to rotate, scale, and support alpha blending) very quickly so is the pspgl API a good choice or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks.
breaKdown

Post by breaKdown »

you first need to type "make" to compile the project ant then "make insttall" to install ypur compiled files!
Jim

Post by Jim »

The problem is that 'convert' in cygwin isn't the same program as on a real unix system. It's expected to convert png files to raw, but it doesn't.

I think I fixed it by making sure ImageMagick cygwin package was installed properly.

Jim
NeoXeno

Post by NeoXeno »

Thanks Jim, it worked! I downloaded the ImageMagick unix binary from imagemagick.org and copied all the files in the bin folder to cygwin/bin and this overrode the old 'convert' to the correct one. Strange thing is that ImageMagick was set to install (along with all packages in devel) when I installed Cygwin.

I recieved some errors when trying to compile some pspgl based programs but I easily corrected the problem and I am finally on my way to creating some demos of my own.

Thanks again!
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

After installing among others ImageMagic, zlib, and pngtools, I got the makefile to output .elf files.

Now in the old days when I was working on p-sprint, I could just copy these to anywhere on my memorystick, and run them with FileAssistant+

However, I can't anymore. I get an auto-shutdown when I try, after displaying the 1.0b loader message. Is that normal? Has something changed that I missed?

And if so, what's the best/easiest way to overcome this? I don't know how to change the makefile to output all pbps, for example - one, sure, but not automatically for all of them ...

If anyone has any ideas, that'd be great!
Gary13579

Post by Gary13579 »

Arwin wrote:After installing among others ImageMagic, zlib, and pngtools, I got the makefile to output .elf files.

Now in the old days when I was working on p-sprint, I could just copy these to anywhere on my memorystick, and run them with FileAssistant+

However, I can't anymore. I get an auto-shutdown when I try, after displaying the 1.0b loader message. Is that normal? Has something changed that I missed?

And if so, what's the best/easiest way to overcome this? I don't know how to change the makefile to output all pbps, for example - one, sure, but not automatically for all of them ...

If anyone has any ideas, that'd be great!
If you are using Cygwin, I've heard people saying that pspgl doesn't work all that well in it. If you have access to a linux installation, try compiling your code on there and check to see if it works.