Proposal: Recreate Nehe's Examples for PSPGL / PSPDEV SDK

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

Arwin

Proposal: Recreate Nehe's Examples for PSPGL / PSPDEV SDK

Post by Arwin »

Hi to All GL'ers,

I was wondering if it would be a good idea to create a working set of Nehe's examples ready to compile on PSP with the PSPDev SDK and PSPGL. That would certainly jump-start development for many.

I'm guessing already several people will probably have done some of the samples for PSPGL on their own to test PSPGL, but what I would like to do is create a topic to collect all samples in, and perhaps also discuss them to see where bugs or discrepancies are with OpenGL, and how to document them.

Then perhaps when they are finished, we could offer them to Neon Helix's site to add them to that list.

And as we're expecting a Lua version that supports PSPGL shortly, we could probably easily convert those samples to Lua as well, for the Lua section.

I've just started studying the samples on PC, and so far they make a lot of sense, although I'll probably get one of those books Jim recommended to get some more in-depth background. I'm probably going to try to get most of the samples up and running, but I think I can save a lot of time if I can start working on stuff others did already, also to more quickly learn about and understand the differences between the PSP and PC in that respect (which I assume there are at least a few).

Anyone up / in for this? If so, please post your contributions here and I'll organise them and clean stuff up.
subbie

Post by subbie »

Actualy I think it would be a great thing for getting people into 3d on the psp faster. It's been rather slow on the 3d side of the psp.

So having the nehe tutorials writen for psp can only help. :P

If you need any help, i might be willing to contribute modifying a few.
JesusXP

Post by JesusXP »

well get on it than!

I know of only one other programmer who is attempting such a task, and I'm not sure how far he has progressed in documenting the procedure..

I converted tutorial 3, and 5 I believe... to have worked and compiled (although Im not exact as my laptop isnt with me here at work). I planned on documenting it more, but as finals approached I slacked on it... Best of luck with getting things done though. Of course it would be useful to jump start some ppl, but without reading the appropriate materials previous to starting, it would probably be more like code regurgitation and lil tweaks, as opposed to actually getting somewhere coding a hardcore PSPGL game. I think that PSPGU also uses similar GL functions, and works closer with the hardware (dont qoute me), so it may be wiser to look into converting or writing new tut's for that lib..
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Well if you can post those two tutorials, that would be a good start. I'm happy to document them as I figure out how they work. I can't get to my PSP until Friday, but if you can post them before then, I will clean them up and try to get them up and running Friday morning and post them here. Once I have those two going, I should be able to get the other ones up a lot faster.

It may sound like a cop-out on my part, but it's just painful missing on some basic stuff (I've only done one psp project so far, not involving any graphics) that costs you time (nobody has enough of that these days). I learn quick enough, reinventing the wheel is great only if you are doing fundamental research. I'm not planning to do that in this area. ;)
Arwin

Post by Arwin »

Well, I've got to the first step - succesfully installed pspgl and was able to create the elf files in the test folder, though I couldn't run these elf files under FileAssistant yet. No idea why - if anyone has a clue ... ?

Next step is getting some basic 3D output on my PSP using a standard makefile project, and then it's on to getting the Nehe stuff up and running.
Gary13579

Post by Gary13579 »

With what little I know of OpenGL (read a few of the NeHe tuts to help learn the GU), pspgl is sort of in a crappy stage right now. Many features aren't supported (can't draw quads/polygons without using triangles, display lists don't work, etc.).

I guess if PSPGL got better it would definetly help the 3D PSP scene, but until then I think people need to learn how to use the GU..
JesusXP

Post by JesusXP »

yeah, Sorry I havent been on in a lil while Arwin, I'll get you those two gl tuts i got running on my own as soon as I get home.

If you want, add me to your msn, t_h_e_p_u_n_k@hotmail.com, it'll be easier... and I'm always down to try and help. My apalogies, for not getting back to you right away.

Also yeah, Gary, we should look into porting NeHe's to GU ... (like, youknow what I mean)... anyways, peace dudes!!