PSP 3D Programming

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

disentan

PSP 3D Programming

Post by disentan »

Hi all, i hope someone can help me with answers.

I wonder if PSP 'Official' SDK use any well known 3D library like OPENGL or DIRECTX. If i wanna pickup 3D gaming programming stuff for PSP before getting the real Sony PSP official SDK, where and how should i start? I have a good idea for PSP game, and i dream of having my own title. Please help..
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

These really aren't the forums to discuss this... We don't use the official sdk here, and questions like that raise other questions...

If you are able to get yourself in a business position where you can legally obtain a license and a copy of the official psp sdk, and be in charge of writing the 3D side of the code, you are already going to be well versed in 3D graphics enough that switching the api you use would be fairly trivial. ... and judging from your question it seems pretty obvious you aren't going to end up in a position to legally have the official sdk, so there is no point in discussing it.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
disentan

Post by disentan »

I learn some 3d graphics concepts b4 and some opengl stuff but never go into advanced stage. My idea is to write a proof-of-concept of my ideal game and form a team to develop the real things. Maybe changing those 3d api would be trivial, but isn't it best to find the most efficient way and shortest path when coming to developing the real psp game from my proof-of-concept works. And i would definately get a official SDK if all these things happen. A official SDK just costs few thousand bucks only rite?
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

its not like everyone could just go out and buy the sdk (not even for a few thousend bucks). you need to apply for it, show a buisness plan. show a game, and then eventually get licensed.
disentan

Post by disentan »

So those are required steps in order to get a SDK? could you elaborate abit on "show them the game" step? I mean how could i show them any game b4 get my hand on their SDK? Sorry if all these sound stupid..
PlayfulPuppy

Post by PlayfulPuppy »

disentan wrote:So those are required steps in order to get a SDK? could you elaborate abit on "show them the game" step? I mean how could i show them any game b4 get my hand on their SDK? Sorry if all these sound stupid..
Let me tell you right now that for a person in your position it's just not possible to get an SDK.

The steps to becoming a registered Sony developer are fairly foolproof. You'll need to have, at minimum, a shipped title under your belt, a team of a reasonable size, and a rock-solid game concept with plenty of development artwork, milestone schedules, adequate funding, a playable demo and most probably a respected licence and/or publisher behind you.

It's just not possible to go from zero to hero, it takes a lot of work.

However, the homebrew SDK (Which is freely available) is incredibly similar to the official SDK. If you can master that, you'd be able to jump right in with an official kit if you get a job working on PSPs professionally.
disentan

Post by disentan »

Wow, that has certainly waken me up from dreaming. I wonder if i could use homebrew SDK to develop game as good as those official psp titles?
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

yes you can, no doubt about that.
CyberBill

Post by CyberBill »

To answer the original question, the PSP uses very OpenGL-like code.

However, you're probably going to have more of a problem learning the 3d math of matrices & vectors & quaternions than you will have getting things to draw on the screen.
holger

Post by holger »

it would be nice if someone with access to the original SDK could report whether PSPGL is working (or what problems arise).

Holger
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

holger wrote:it would be nice if someone with access to the original SDK could report whether PSPGL is working (or what problems arise).

Holger
No, it would not. We do NOT use the official sdk here.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
subbie

Post by subbie »

disentan wrote:Wow, that has certainly waken me up from dreaming. I wonder if i could use homebrew SDK to develop game as good as those official psp titles?
Yes you can. Look at Iris or the 3d racer by AnonymousTipster.

I'm the coder of iris and i've really yet to scrach the surface of what I can accomplish on the psp.