Next Step In Programing Ps2

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

ayub_zar

Next Step In Programing Ps2

Post by ayub_zar »

What should be the next step if someone :

Has connected PC to PS2 using PS2CLIENT and PS2LINK(ver 1.26). & getting 'READY' on the TV screen. Is this the right time for installing P2DEV?, or there are other pre-requisites in the way?
WE NEED TO TAME PS2
Neovanglist
Site Admin

Post by Neovanglist »

You get the toolchain and PS2SDK then start coding...
Regards,
Neovanglist
SSpeare

Post by SSpeare »

Once you have it connecting, download a sample or demo that is precompiled and then try to run it. I downloaded ahx_reloaded and then executed it on the PS2. Then you know everything is working.

Once you extract the files from the .zip you can run it like this:

ps2client execee host:ahx_reloaded.elf

(I usually specify the address of the ps2 with the -h parameter like this:)

ps2client -h 192.168.1.23 execee host:ahx_reloaded.elf

Once that works, then you should try get the samples that come with ps2dev & ps2sdk to compile and try runnin them with the same command. Then you just have to learn to program the PS2.
ayub_zar

okay, so?

Post by ayub_zar »

but what specifically or exactly i need this time? ps2dev?, i tried to install in a separate drive with path F:\ps2dev\ (as mentioned in the instructions that no spaces are allowed). But still the problem persists that it doesnt run ps2dev.bat or exe file in win32 or dos, windows xp doesnt shows the output at all , and when i run ps2dev.bat, then it starts setting paths....

i dont know what to do now everything seems screwed!
waiting for a good reply since 2 days
ayub_zar
WE NEED TO TAME PS2
SSpeare

Post by SSpeare »

What, exactly, did you install there? Is it the ps2dev package from http://xorloser.com/?

I think you should try a demo first. Try pillgen or funslower or cubars or anything:

http://ps2dev.org/ps2/Code/Demonstratio ... l_PS2_demo

http://ps2dev.org/ps2/Code/Demonstratio ... WER_SOURCE

http://ps2dev.org/ps2/Code/Demonstratio ... _Bars_v1.1

http://ps2dev.org/ps2/Demos/AHX_Musicdi ... -_Reloaded

Once you get one of these running on the ps2, then you know everything works and you can start looking at code.
Last edited by SSpeare on Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ayub_zar

okay

Post by ayub_zar »

but this method is for precompiled code testing, i appreciate it, but sspeare, i dont know how ps2dev is set up for my own code compilation, tell me the basics of the ps2 data format , and some useful commands for ps2client, like u used *.elf file in the command prompt u mentioned in the message, is that means:

elf = exe file for ps2??
what about other formats like jpg, wav or others, what is their format in ps2? right now i need help on ps2dev installation.............
WE NEED TO TAME PS2
SSpeare

Post by SSpeare »

What is the problem when you run ps2dev.bat? It should set paths. Does anything else happen? Is there a ps2sdk directory? You should go into the ps2sdk/samples directory and type "make" to compile the samples and then try to execute them using ps2client.

yes. an executable on the ps2 usually has a .elf format. But it doesn't really matter what the extension is, that's just to help you remember. Any other file format can be supported on the PS2, there is no "PS2" version of a .wav or .jpg or anything. You can write code to open any type of file if you know how to read the file format.

The ps2dev installation should contain a full development environment that you can use from the command prompt. If you don't know how to use it then you've probably got a long way to go to develop anything. Look around in the folders that were installed and look for some .c files and a Makefile.

OK, I stuck this thing on my laptop temporarily. It is just like my dev environment. You should look at the samples and start learning by reading the code in the .c files and then modify it to make some changes. That's what I did, it's not that hard. Just start coding!

You can find the include files under the ee directory if you keep looking through the folder structure. They describe the available functions in ps2dev and ps2sdk. It is helpful sometimes to look at the src of the functions to see what they do.
Last edited by SSpeare on Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ayub_zar

okay

Post by ayub_zar »

lets start from the installation okay? how to set variables? .... i have only one account in windows, this means that there is one person to program in ps2dev on my pc , hence i selected set variables for current user!. Now the installation ends!
i opened my command prompt, and when i went to ps2dev folder and typed ps2dev.bat then it shows a long list of paths and directories, i mean it should launch a compiler or editor that i could use to start putting my code into it.
If this file doesnot runs the compiler then which file runs this , please donot assume anything i am extreme dummy for ps2dev....(however i got some experience in c++ :P)
thanks friend
WE NEED TO TAME PS2
SSpeare

Post by SSpeare »

I edited my post above a few times, please go back and read the whole thing again. You can use any editor on your PC to edit the .c files. Look in the ps2sdk/samples folder. You can copy a folder in there and then start changing it to make your own code.

To compile your code, open a command prompt and change to that directory and type "make" and that's it. Use the ps2client command I showed you earlier to run your program after it is built:

ps2client execee host:main.elf

or whatever your .elf is called.

That's it. You have arrived. Go code some stuff and then let us know what you made.
ayub_zar

okay

Post by ayub_zar »

alright, i am going to make something, thanks
WE NEED TO TAME PS2