Any good IDES that work well with ps2dev?

Discuss the development of software, tools, libraries and anything else that helps make ps2dev happen.

Moderators: cheriff, Herben

Kojima

Any good IDES that work well with ps2dev?

Post by Kojima »

I just installed ps2dev, are there any good ides that support it out of the box/with a plugin or will have to make do with notepad?

May as well ask while I'm here, any good obscure tutorials on ps2dev?
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

forgot to say, I'm using a prebuild (2nd of jun ver) toolchain, not cygwin.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

http://www.volny.cz/molej/mdswrap/ heres a nice guide on setting up mingw developer studio ide(Not by me), works fine with the prebuild sdk. well it compiled fine, my brother has my ps2 till tomorrow so i can't test the elf yet.

-Edit- Bah, it doesn't actually produce an elf for me despite compiling and linking fine. Anyone else followed this tutorial and ran into the same prob?
SSpeare

Post by SSpeare »

If your IDE can use a makefile to compile, then it can be used. You can edit the files in any application of course. What do you want from an IDE? I use either vi or MSVStudio 2005. But I still make from the command line because it works just fine.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

Hi,

My problem is I have little to no experience with make files, so I ideally want something that can either generate a makefile for me, or comes with one already made.

Did you see the MingW Developer Studio guide one? I used that and it worked, it compiled fine but it produces no output file, even though it succesfully links. Any idea how to fix that?
Out of interest, what Ide do you use?

If my only option is to make my own makefiles, are there any for this(i.e ps2 dev using the toolchain) I could use to learn from? I've only ever used smart ides like VC++, VC#, BlitzMax, none of which require makefile manipulation. I guess I'll have to adjust to console development one step at a time :)
SSpeare

Post by SSpeare »

Just copy one of the samples in ps2sdk and start messing with it. The only time you need to touch the Makefile is when you add a new file to your project. That happens only occasionally most of the time. All you do then is just add the new file to the list that exists in the Makefile and you're done.

As I said previously, I use VI pretty often. Sometimes I boot up Visual Studio C++ 2005 and use that to edit my code. But I just use it as a fancy text editor. It doesn't compile my code or anything. I'm sure it's possible to get VC++ to use your Makefile if you like hitting F7 instead of typing "make" but I haven't looked into it. It wouldn't really change anything, though.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

Ok sounds reasonable, I'm just put off my commandline stuff since I never had a pc in the days of dos (Points to space where amiga used to sit)
didn't get into the pc scene until win98 was already out.

One silly question, but how do I actually invoke the makefile? I've installed ps2dev fully using xorloser's latest windows installer, but does it include the make tool? Do I have to cd to a certain dir?

I'd be grateful if you could run me through the steps to compile the simpliest app, the hello world one, I can take things from there I think.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

ok I just tried 'make' in the commandline and sure enough it was found, so I cd'ed to the helloworld dir and typed 'make makefile' but it then says
"make:nothing to be done for "makefile""

am I missing a parameter or two or using the wrong version of make?
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

oh d'uh, I had to just cd to the dir and run make with no pars. It worked to a degree, but it produced an ERL instead of an elf.

Are erl's essentially elfs?(I.e can I safely rename the extension?) or do I have to alter the makefile to produce an elf?

I'm using a ps2 emulator atm which only has elf loading, then i'll be using ps2link when my replacement apapter gets here if it makes a diff.
misfire

Post by misfire »

An ERL file is a relocatable ELF file.

To compile a "normal" ELF file, simply open the makefile in a text editor and replace EE_ERL with EE_BIN.
Last edited by misfire on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kojima

Post by Kojima »

ok, thanks for the help. giving it a go now.