why in hell dose this take so long?

The dumping ground for the crappiest of posts seen on these forums. Locked for posterity and updated when needed.

Moderators: cheriff, jbit

Goldrush

why in hell dose this take so long?

Post by Goldrush »

Hi I am from PSPU but I am starting to get good at C++ so i thought i would join here too since its more about deving :D I programed in LUA alot but LUA just isnt as good as C++ so I started learning C++ and now im trying to get CYGWIN up and GOD DAMN it has been about 5 hours now and this toolchain thing STILL isnt finished doing whatever the hell its doing!!! Why is this taking to long to install the toolchain?
moonlight

Post by moonlight »

It's something normal ¬¬ It has to compile a lot of things, this is not a binary install. Go to sleep or something and when you return you'll have all finished.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

You should watch your language.

Cygwin is slow, it will take a while for the toolchain to build. You don't need to sit and watch it though, so just start it and do other stuff.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Goldrush

Post by Goldrush »

why do you need a whole linux emulator to compile C++ into an eboot.pbp? I mean really...
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

It's not an emulator, it's a POSIX environment, because the tools need a POSIX environment, not the horribly broken windows command line.

If you have a program with that, feel free to write your own toolchain
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development
Goldrush

Post by Goldrush »

im not saying the toolchain thing sucks... im saying cygwin should install the toolchain thing a little freakin faster is all... but anyway its FINALY done after 8 gosh dang hours... time to finish doing what i gotsta do
Chrighton

Post by Chrighton »

Takes me 45-55 mins to compile the toolchain start to finish on what is by now an old (but reliable) rig. The problem is neither the toolchain or Cygwin.
groepaz

Post by groepaz »

i remember building crosstoolchains in cygwin on my good old P100 ... gcc alone would take 12 hours or sth :=D
RanDom_ErrOr

Post by RanDom_ErrOr »

kinda off topic:

you're complaining about 8 hour compile times?

try installing & compiling gentoo(from stage 1) on a i486 DX33 with 16MB of ram. (yes i still have a box this old)

now sit back down and shut up.
Drakonite
Site Admin

Post by Drakonite »

I think everyone needs to watch what they say.
Shoot Pixels Not People!
Makeshift Development