PMP Mod v2.02 & PMP Mod AVC v1.02

Discuss the development of new homebrew software, tools and libraries.

Moderators: cheriff, TyRaNiD

jonny

Post by jonny »

i assume you have installed the splitter in this way:

regsvr32 pmpsplitter.ax

now, the splitter alone doesn't work, it is supposed that you also have an h264 directshow decoder installed

you'll probably solve installing ffdshow:

http://tirnanog.fate.jp/mirror/ffdshow/
Khannie

Re: small HOWTO: AVC pmp on Linux

Post by Khannie »

Khannie wrote:
606u wrote:As this topic went too long, maybe there is a similar HOWTO in the previous pages...
I just wanted to say thanks for this. :)

I recently removed windows from my home PC and I thought I was scuppered because the x264 doesn't natively support avi files on linux.
More thanks to 606u are in order for the .c patch to fix the empty text file (and thanks to Jonny for the simplification).

I'm available for linux testing at any point. I usually drop by fairly regularly (though post infrequently). A PM with testing request should suffice. :)

I have ubuntu 6.06 running the k7-smp kernel.
someguy2

rw/ff

Post by someguy2 »

Hi.
Could you please make rw/ff more like in pc players ( +/- N sec) ?
-m-

Bookmark function

Post by -m- »

hi!

first of all let me just say - thx for a great psp app!

one of the earlier versions of pmp mod had a bookmark function. it auto saved my last position in a pmp movie, allowing me to resume where i left off.
is this something you will readd in a future version of pmp mod? it would be great if the bookmark could be set with a push of a button :)

-m-
pegasus

hello

Post by pegasus »

hi jonny just a question.. what is the purpose of "debug level" in pmp muxer avc?? do i need to set it too??
csuper

Re: Bookmark function

Post by csuper »

-m- wrote:hi!

one of the earlier versions of pmp mod had a bookmark function. it auto saved my last position in a pmp movie, allowing me to resume where i left off.
is this something you will readd in a future version of pmp mod? it would be great if the bookmark could be set with a push of a button :)

-m-
The POS feature was added in a mod of the PMP Mod (Malloc/Raphael/...), but it was never implemented in the core PMP Mod because Jonny dislike the way it works (with the addition of .pos file)

I asked him if he would add this feature to the core player, he had said "i will think about it, but with an another method" ...

So it' up to him... has you can see...
-m-

Re: Bookmark function

Post by -m- »

csuper wrote:
-m- wrote:hi!

-m-
The POS feature was added in a mod of the PMP Mod (Malloc/Raphael/...), but it was never implemented in the core PMP Mod because Jonny dislike the way it works (with the addition of .pos file)

I asked him if he would add this feature to the core player, he had said "i will think about it, but with an another method" ...

So it' up to him... has you can see...

ok, thanks for the input. :-l

i really hope he implement it. i miss it alot when watching full features 1.5 hour +, and i have to shut my psp down in the middle of it all. my comute to work takes about an hour or so.

all i can do is pray then ;)
jonny

Post by jonny »

@someguy2:

no, too much complications

it would be great if the bookmark could be set with a push of a button :)
exactly what i want to do ( but i don't know exactly when i'll do this :P )

hi jonny just a question.. what is the purpose of "debug level" in pmp muxer avc??
it show more infos if you enable high values
(it's useful for me to identify eventual problems)
Khannie

Post by Khannie »

I have found a bug in the x264 app on linux (edit: I don't have access to a windows machine, so I'm not sure if it applies there too). I'm not sure if it's related to the changes that have been applied to make it pmp compatible.

Specifically, if I use the --threads flag to encode, it improves encode time slightly, but the player will not play the file. The resulting output files also differ.
mylogin@computa:~/temp/small$ cmp unthreaded.pmp two_threads.pmp
unthreaded.pmp two_threads.pmp differ: byte 57, line 1
I should also point out that on linux I had to run the x264 app in the background /before/ kicking off the mplayer app (which is the input to the pipe) instead of the way 606u's script does it. I wont speculate on why this is (though I have some ideas).

I haven't tried 2 pass encoding yet, but I've seen some limitations in the single pass encode. I'll give that a bash.

On a more positive note, I was stunned at the smoothness of the playback from the pmp mod avc. Well done Jonny and Magick. Really great job.

Last thing: Jonny: Is this the kind of thing that you think should be kept in a separate thread? If so I'll move it to it's own thread (I was considering making an "encode for pmp mod in linux" thread anyway).
jonny

Post by jonny »

yep i know
when you enable more than 1 thread, the generated stream is no more compatible
for example, with 2 threads, the frame is divided in 2 parts and the data is stored in 2 different NALs, the psp decoder seems to don't like this
i think you can still use multithreading if you do multiple passes (only be sure to do the last pass with 1 th only)

your post is 100% ok
about what to post and not post here, the message was mainly directed to the discussion about mediacoder (too much unrelated to this thread imho)
what i also don't like here, are discussion/requests about basic encoding things that can be easly "googled"
actually the discussion about x264 under linux was quite technical, informative and useful
psp

Post by psp »

can pmp mod work on a 1.0 firmware?
Khannie

Post by Khannie »

jonny wrote:i think you can still use multithreading if you do multiple passes (only be sure to do the last pass with 1 th only)
I'll try this out today and report back (probably tonight GMT). I'm not sure if there's a more convenient way of getting the input to the x264 program (on linux) than playing it through mplayer twice. It wont affect performance, but it might alter the output.

jonny wrote:actually the discussion about x264 under linux was quite technical, informative and useful
Nice one. :)
Khannie

Post by Khannie »

OK...as Jonny suspected threading works for the first pass in a two pass encode. It improves first pass encode speed by about 15-20% (judged by fps rather than a hard measurement) on a dual core (or multi-processor) system.

There is a noticeable improvement in quality using a 2 pass encode IMO.

One thing you have to change is the crf option as it doesn't make sense with a 2 pass encode. I replaced it with --bitrate. Your own preference applies here. I used 1000 and 850 and couldn't notice any difference between them (though there was a noticeable drop in filesize :)).

The relevant lines in my shell script now look like this:

Code: Select all

PIPE=/tmp/pipe.y4m

rm -f $PIPE
mkfifo $PIPE || exit 1

~/install/bin/x264 --pass 1 --threads 2 --progress --bitrate 850 -A all --level 3 --pictiming --aud --no-psnr \
    --thread-input --output "/dev/null" $PIPE &
mplayer -benchmark -nosound -quiet -really-quiet \
    -vo yuv4mpeg:file=$PIPE -vf scale=480:272 "$1"

rm -f $PIPE
mkfifo $PIPE || exit 1

~/install/bin/x264 --pass 2 --progress --bitrate 850 -A all --level 3 --pictiming --aud --no-psnr \
    --thread-input --output "$2.264" $PIPE &
mplayer -benchmark -nosound -quiet -really-quiet \
    -vo yuv4mpeg:file=$PIPE -vf scale=480:272 "$1"
You should note that I have forced the width and height to the maximum. To use 606u's built in sizing, change 480:272 to $WIDTH:$HEIGHT

edit: It's probably not necessary to remake the fifo, but it does no harm.

Hope this helps someone. :)
Khannie

Post by Khannie »

Only thought of windows users much later....and I think it warrants a new post:

The same encode style will of course work on windows, but you don't have to bother with the mplayer / pipe messing. Instead your complete 2 pass, threaded x264 encode would look like this:

x264 --pass 1 --threads 2 --progress --bitrate 850 -A all --level 3 --pictiming --aud --no-psnr --thread-input --output NUL myVideoFile.avi

x264 --pass 2 --progress --bitrate 850 -A all --level 3 --pictiming --aud --no-psnr --thread-input --output outputFile.264 myVideoFile.avi
csuper

Post by csuper »

psp wrote:can pmp mod work on a 1.0 firmware?
@ jonny :

May I add... is there interesting (performance related) to have a firmware in 1.0 with PMP Mod or not ?
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

csuper wrote:
psp wrote:can pmp mod work on a 1.0 firmware?
@ jonny :

May I add... is there interesting (performance related) to have a firmware in 1.0 with PMP Mod or not ?

As an answer, I quote Xtrusion from PSPU, who created the easy 1.5->1.0 downgrader:
Xtrusion wrote:Remember that the 1.00 version still hasn't got any special applications, so there isn't any reason to leave 1.50 (unless you're a developer).
And yes, PMP Mod should work on 1.0, though I didn't test it yet. Just use the non-% single folder from the release.
Sudds

Post by Sudds »

Just a bit of help please lads, am having a problem with VDUBMOD i scoured the forums looking for an answer but to no avail.
I have downloaded and installed Jonnys X264vfw fix, ran it and encoded with VDUBMOD used BEHAPPY to create audio and muxed with PMPMOD AVC, however it will not play on the PSP just gives me a black screen.
Am converting using AVI SYNTH SCRIPT (.AVS) there isnt a problem with it as VDUBMOD opens.
It may be simple but i just cant figure it out, any help at all would be apreciated. Thanks.
Shonen

Post by Shonen »

Try encoding the same AVS with jonny's own x264 build or with the patched mencoder. See if that works. Try limiting general encoding questions in this thread, as jonny has pointed out. Perhaps you could start a thread over at the PSPVideo9 forums.

In other news, I saw this on PSPUpdates, being the re-addition of the .POS save/restore feature after stopping the playback: http://dl.qj.net/pmpmod-avc-1.02-sub-po ... /catid/140

Also, I quickly copy/pasted some custom XMB graphics for the eboot, which you can add with programs like PSPBrew. I got the picture from the European official MyPSP.com site. If anyone wants, I can also post the modified eboot.

http://users.pandora.be/erwinspages/test02c.png
http://users.pandora.be/erwinspages/test01a.png
Khannie

Post by Khannie »

Shonen wrote:In other news, I saw this on PSPUpdates, being the re-addition of the .POS save/restore feature after stopping the playback: http://dl.qj.net/pmpmod-avc-1.02-sub-po ... /catid/140
Nice one. Thanks for the heads up on that. I really missed that feature.
Sudds

Post by Sudds »

Try limiting general encoding questions in this thread, as jonny has pointed out. Perhaps you could start a thread over at the PSPVideo9 forums.

Sorry bout that Shonen, will do.
Khannie

Post by Khannie »

Not sure if this one is a bug or not, so I thought I'd better report it.

I altered the bframes and iframes settings in the x264 command line (as I was encoding a cartoon). I'm still learning as I go, so there may be an error in what I did, but the encode seemed to go without a hitch.

I got an error trying to play the resulting PMP file on the PSP though.

"avc_get: sceMpegAvcDecode failed"
The iframes / bframes option I used to encode was:

--ref 9 --bframes 5
The resulting pmp file was /very/ small (38 megs for a 22 minute episode inc 112kb mp3 sound). It was a single pass encode using crf of 25.

edit: ok....just in case I was being a big noob....I went back through this thread and found this:
jonny wrote:you should post the full parameters set if you encounter problems
(some parameters may generate incompatible stream, i'm interested in this type of feedback)
so....

x264 --progress --crf 25 -A all --level 3 --pictiming --aud --no-psnr --thread-input --ref 9 --bframes 5 --output output.264 $PIPE
ofc, on windows, $PIPE would just be your avs script, or avi file. :)
606u

Post by 606u »

It doesn't like B-frames, but I might be wrong.
jonny

Post by jonny »

@Khannie:

x264 support only uncompressed avi (both on windows/linux)
on windows we use avisynth to frameserve, there is a minitut some pages ago
(in case you have missed there is also the possibility to compile mencoder with the modified x264 support - so no need to pipe or frameserve)

@Sudds:

i need to know:
- your psp fw version
- pmpmodavc version used (1.02? mine? Raphael?)
- are you using the settings suggested in the screenshot?
- muxer version used
- you could also encode a small trailer and upload it somewhere

@Shonen:

actually a black screen report deserve some examination, this is not a simple encoding question

@606u:

yep bframes doesn't works
Sudds

Post by Sudds »

@ Jonny
My firmware is 1.50.
I,am using PMP Mod AVC v1.02
PMP Muxer AVC v1.01
I have also tryed the X264 Modified version
and the x264vfw Modified version.
All downloaded from your site.
Shonen

Post by Shonen »

Try making an "encode.bat" file, edit it with notepad, and enter this code:

x264 --bitrate 512 -A all --level 3 --pictiming --aud --no-psnr --thread-input --progress --output youroutput.264 yourfile.avs 
Then run encode.bat. This is the most basic command line jonny's suggested, and it has always worked for me.

Then mux the youroutput.264 and the 44.1 stereo mp3 file with the muxer, personally I've stuck with version 1.0 of the muxer.

And sorry that I waved my little finger a bit earlier ^_^
Sudds

Post by Sudds »

Thanks Shonen.
No worrys mate! ;)

Yeah it works mate, why didnt i think of that earlier...
Cheers Shonen.
Sudds

Post by Sudds »

I,ve noticed that when using the command line the picture can be blockie in parts, is there any way or incorperating 2pass into the command line?
Shonen

Post by Shonen »

Khannie wrote:
x264 --pass 1 --threads 2 --progress --bitrate 850 -A all --level 3 --pictiming --aud --no-psnr --thread-input --output NUL myVideoFile.avi

x264 --pass 2 --progress --bitrate 850 -A all --level 3 --pictiming --aud --no-psnr --thread-input --output outputFile.264 myVideoFile.avi
Or you could try upping the bitrate (768 for standard DVD content, and 1000-1500 is great for flashy trailers) or using CRF (16-22).
Eingang

Post by Eingang »

@jonny

request: a tiny program to join several pmp files (avc)

would that be very difficult ?
therock003

Post by therock003 »

jonny wrote:i assume you have installed the splitter in this way:

regsvr32 pmpsplitter.ax

now, the splitter alone doesn't work, it is supposed that you also have an h264 directshow decoder installed

you'll probably solve installing ffdshow:

http://tirnanog.fate.jp/mirror/ffdshow/
I have the patched version of x264.IS it encoder only or decoder as well?Does that mean i still need a codec pack?Also after i register the pmpslitter file,do i need to have the file saved somewhere on the disk or can i safely remove it?